Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
othertime_gw

Emerald green has flying bugs. plant not looking good

othertime
12 years ago

I have a row of emerald green plants and they are looking thin and are shedding alot. I was out today cleaning up the sheded plant stuff (?) and noticed when I was shaking the tree to get the foilege off the branches a ton of these little fruit fly looking bugs where flying all over the place.

I caught about 6 in a plastic bag and have been looking at them trying to id them but have no clue.

I looked for any larve in the emerald green and did not see anything.

The plant looks like its dying from the inside out and I am wondering if these flying bugs are the cause.

Any ideas????? the bug looks like the size of a fruit fly.

Thanks,

Sam

Comments (7)

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

What part of the country do you have flying insects compromising your Emerald Green... aka Thuja occidentalis'Smaragd'?

It's always a good thing to list in your members page where you live Zone wise. Telling us you live in the USA...well

This is not the time of year for that except in extreme southern areas I suppose.

Hit the link.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Arborvitae Pests

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

The plant looks like its dying from the inside out

===>>> nope.. all conifers shed their needles.. mostly between one and three years ... i will yell.. ALL INTERIOR NEEDLE LOSS IS NORMAL... those are the old needles.. and they are shed as the outer green shell starts shading them out ...

and i will yell again.. YOU ARE CORRECT TO CLEAN THEM OUT EVERY YEAR OR TWO ...

as far as i am concerned.. the bugs are irrelevant ... unless you can come up with some actual damage caused by a bug.. rather than normal in interior browning ...

beyond that.. and having no clue where you are.. i too am mystified how they can have bugs this time of year ... unless you are south of the equator .. or on the gulf of Mex ...

they need full sun.. and thinning can be indicative of not enough sun ... more facts in that regard, plz ..

pix and location please..

ken

• othertime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am in northern VA, sorry for not putting that up.

I took the bag of bugs to the local garden center and they had a hard time identifying them bcs they were so small. They anitquated them to fruit fly in that they were probably eating up the dying or dead conifer shed as they are organic matter.

I showed them the pics and they said becasue they were topped probably at the wrong time of the year they probably never did recover.

they recomended that they be replace or another shrub be put in its place after removal because they did not think the arborvitae will eventually brown out and die.

I took some pics of the bugs but they are too small to show detail as I do not have a macro lens.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

How about some pix of the damage?

tj

12 years ago

I took the bag of bugs to the local garden center ...
    I showed them the pics

===>>> why haven't you showed us the pix... see link below for how to

you said: because they were topped probably at the wrong time of the year

==>>> oh my ...

show us your pix please .. bugs and the arbs ...

i dont inherently trust the guy who has stock to sell you.. about his opinion that they have to go .. but he might be right ... who knows w/o pix ....

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• othertime
    Original Author
    12 years ago

let me upload them when I get home. The bug pictures do not show details because I do not have a macro lens (magnifiying the object).

12 years ago

the pix of the trees are more important to me ...

i doubt there is any bug activity this time of year.. even in VA ...

ken