Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claymont_gw

blue kiss

claymont
17 years ago

Blue Kiss really nice, how do you get one? I live in Ohio and I think that nursery is from the state also Jeff

Comments (17)

• erniew
    17 years ago

In the other thread, it sounded like Dannaher's in Ohio had been selling it. I've linked to it.

Good Luck,
    Ernie

Here is a link that might be useful: Dannaher's

• picea
    17 years ago

Hi Jeff,
    Check the other thread as I just talked to Tim Brotzman today. If it is available Dannaher is tha only one I know who might have it. Tim said he has never named the plant. David

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Other than a greeting from a dead person what is a blue kiss?

• pineresin
    17 years ago

Good one Ron!

Seems to be a yet another Picea pungens cultivar

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: A nursery listing . .

• bobfincham
    17 years ago

There is a Picea pungens 'Blaue Kissen' that was named in Europe a number of years ago. It is between 'Blue Pearl' and 'St. Mary' in growth rate and shape.

Bob

• SilverVista
    17 years ago

Also note, though, that "kissen" is not German for "kiss", but rather translates to "cushion" or "pillow."

• greenlarry
    17 years ago

Interesting that tho theres links to Picea pungens itself theres no pictures anywhwere of the Blue Kiss cultivar!

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Surely a mistranslation of 'Blau Kissen'.

• erniew
    17 years ago

Checking back in again. I took the picture at the Dawes Arboretum in May and did some research at the time, trying to figure it out. Of course I've forgotten exactly where I searched but I searched a bit more today and found this in the Dawes Accession Records:

D1996-0265 Picea pungens 'Blue Kiss'
    Accession data:

source: Brotzman's Nursery, Inc.
    provenance: CGO yellow new growh
    date received: 1/31/1996 how received: SC quantity: 12
    on grounds: YES

So, I guess I was a bit out of line stating that Brotzman's introduced the plant since Tim says that they haven't. But it sounds like what I saw and what Dannaher's is selling is one and the same. I think that it is a nicer looking plant than 'Spring Ghost' because of finer quality foliage and goes a nice blue in summer. When I was just out of high school, I took a trip that passed by Brotzman's. Tim was kind enough to give me a tour of the nursery (plant collector's dream!) even though they were busy barerooting 3" 'Red Sunset' Maples, in early fall none-the-less. I remember a very dense, oval-shaped, blue, dwarf Colorado Spruce that he pointed out and that he was evaluating. I wonder if this is the same plant. 'Spring Ghost' can get large. Bailey Nurseries has a 25'-30' plant by their main office. Looks just like an ordinary Colorado in summer. One final thought, I told Bill Hendricks about 'Blue Kiss' and he was very interested in getting some wood from Tim. If things go well, Klyn may be putting out some plants on the market.

Best Regards,
    Ernie

• claymont
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ernie, I got it, thanks a lot. I called a nursery north of Columbus.It is not the Blue Kiss plant at the Dawes.It has no name so they are calling it Brotzmans Blue.I am going next saturday to pick up two plants.this plant has a darker blue with yellow new growth, he says it is very choice plant.It has the growth habit of Montgomery.He has no more this year. Thank You. I hear there is another one they just named it has dark green growth and gold new growth is is called golden feathers thank you just another Jeff

• erniew
    17 years ago

Hi Jeff,

thanks for the update. It sounds like you got your order in just in time! Keep us updated on how the do.

Regards,
    Ernie

• conifers
    17 years ago

Picea pungens 'Blaue Kissen' I believe is an upright tree. That cultivar you got, this 'Brotzman Blue' sounds quite unique. Probabaly rivals P.p. 'Walnut Glen' a lot. Although I forget if Walnut Glen has a 'Montgomery' shape as a young plant. Other 'Montgomery' I've seen as old specimens were quite low and flat but I do seem to recall 'Walnut Glen' having a 'Montgomery' growth shape as a young plant as well.

Picea pungens 'Blue Kiss' is of course a strikethrough name for 'Blaue Kissen' according to the American Conifer Society's set of rules and for that matter it is also in defilement of the set laws for nomenclature.

Thanks for the information,

Dax

• claymont
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I see the British Conifer Society has a picture of Blue Kiss. It doesn't show the spring color. Just another Jeff

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Yes, if it was named by originator 'Blau Kissen' (and that name conforms to the rules) then that is the correct cultivar name and not translations into other languages.

• bluespruce53
    17 years ago

Just to set the record straight, Picea pungens Blaukissen (note - one word not two!), and please, please, do not make any atempt to anglicize european cultivar names, this is strictly forbibben under the cultivated code for the naming of plants, no matter how convienient it might be for the nursery trade. Blaukissen is a low growing cushion shaped plant no more than 2inches or less per year, colour is blue with no change in the spring, whether your Blue Kiss in the states is the same plant I cannot say.
    Bluespruce.

• claymont
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are two different plants of picea pungens. Just another Jeff

• Embothrium
    17 years ago

Welch & Haddow list only 'Blaukissen', give something (probably a print catalog) from Horstmann (1992) as place where they saw it first published. Spruces section on Horstmann web site does not have it at this time ('translate this page' after URL link in Google results gives partial English version).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tsuga Zwergkoniferen Baumschule - Picea, abies, breweriana, glauca, jezonensis, mariana, omorika, orientalis, pungens, sitchensis, Fic