Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

Does anyone have Pinus parviflora 'Aoi'

ricksample
12 years ago

I'm curious if anyone knows the growth rate of this or even better if anyone has any pictures of it's growth over time. I purchased this for a specific location, but after researching I'm getting mixed sizes and mixed images

I'm seeing sizes from 2' tall 1' wide 10 years to

6' tax 4' wide. Some of the pictures are a smaller round shape conifer that's very thick. Others are very tall and open.

Comments (12)

• brentm
    12 years ago

Growth rate 2-3", max 4" per year. HxW@10yrs ranges from 2'x 3' to 2.5'x1.5' depending on specimen.

Have you seen tall and open photos from any US gardens or growers?

-Brent

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

My source, I think Porterhowse farms(will have to double check), a moderate growing upright. Who knows?

'Aoi'?
    {{gwi:653102}}

-Will

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Mine is under snow at the moment but is similar in size and growth rate (at this time) as Firefighter Will's. Being that young I'm sure it will grow a bit faster (6-8 inches per year?) after it settles in.

tj

• jth97381
    12 years ago

Mine is 4' tall by 2' wide. About 9" a year. Candle prune it to whatever shape you want it to be. The small cute ones you see have been prunned into that shape.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the help and pictures, it looks like this would outgrow the space I had originally had for it.

@Brent - I saw this picture on another site from Maryland Stating that it's 6' tall 6 years old. I'm finding a 50/50 mixed size ranges from different growers. Some say 2' tall in 10 years, some say 6' tall in 10 years. None of my plants have such a big gap in size like that.

{{gwi:653104}}

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Looks like this is going to be a tough one to estimate. ACS lists a growth rate of 1-6". I guess if you get it and it grows faster than expected you can candle stick prune as Jason mentions. This species benefits from that anyhow (if you are cleaning the dead needles on an annual basis).

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

look at FFB's pic ...

its is nearing mature growth rate.. and that looks to me like an excess of 6 inches.. and it has a cone ... if i am focusing properly ...

this year.. will probably tell its true growth rate.. so ask FFB to report back ...

the coffee hasnt kicked in yet.. but i cant tell if the pic immediately above is supposed to be Aoi .. if so.. you should see a one foot growth rate [somewhere between 8 and 12 inches].. which easily translates into 10 foot tall potential in 10 years.. with width variable.. since they grow taller rather than wider as a general rule ..

once that is est'd... multiply by ten ...

if such is true.. it will most likely look like every other non-mini blue parv..

being a blue nut in the garden.. i used to be an easy mark for the newest.. or bestest.. blue parv.. and here i sit 10 years later.. with a half dozen or so.. blue parvs.. that most likely only a few peeps here could tell apart ...

i take the time.. because you have to learn how to intuit a lot of this stuff.. as i did.. before the web resources came along ...

there are two problems.. you have to first.. presume the pic offered is actually the plant ... and second.. that the grafter actually had the right named plant to begin with ...

and presuming is right up there with assuming ...

in other words.. IMHO. blue parvs are not so unique .. that we can easily look at one.. and say outright.. oh yes.. that is chief jo ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

My guestimate is that there is a range because one growing in the PNW is likely not going to grow as vigorously in the heart of the Midwest. Same holds true for one growing in sand vs. clay. Always take that into consideration while evaluating growth rates. Those are just a couple variables.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i dont know will.. properly planted.. once at maturity... they should perform within normal limits ...

or you have done something wrong..

what you mention .. may interfere with full establishment, or how long it takes to get to such .. but once established.. they should be within standard deviation...

ken

• brentm
    12 years ago

@Rick - The upright one from MD looks like 'Iseli Select' to me...

There might be two different 'Aoi' around

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Three years in the ground for mine, this will be the fourth Spring. I *am* going to candle prune it this year. I estimate it's growing about 6-8 inches a year on the leader, a few inches on the rest.

I'd say that while some plants might seem to grow faster in the Pacific Northwest, many others actually grow faster in the Midwest, ala Picea abies. While our Spring technically begins about now, and we have tulips pushing, the thing is that our Spring is about five months long(February through June) and sunshine is much MUCH more rare here. If you want an amazing contrast, just compare a plant/tree(or Japanese maple) from Dave's(dcsteg) garden and mine. My Japanese maples leaf out at hugely different times, from early March through late May. Every maple in Dave's garden explodes into leaf within a 2-3 week period instead because it goes from the 20s and snow/cold to the 60s-80s.

It's my estimation from what I have seen that pinus parviflora grows about the same speed here as it does in most of the Midwest.

-Will