Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

Christmas tree?

jan_on zone 5b
12 years ago

Can you believe? This year we had a Nootka false weeping cyprus for a Christmas tree! It seemed a bit scandalous to find one CUT at a garden shop -- one of a kind -- but I couldn't resist and it made a great mix of Charlie Brown/decorator tree dressed with one single string of icicle lights and about 15 lime green balls. So -- has anyone heard of growers producing these trees for the Christmas market? It was MUCH less expensive than I would expect compared to a potted version. And I'm going to be disappointed if I can't find another next year. Oh -- it looks pretty spectacular spending the winter tied to the fence in our back yard.

Jan

Comments (12)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

It's a free market, I don't know what else to tell you.
    Cyprus: a country.
    Cypress: a tree.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

what ... no picture???

i always told prospective collectors.. buy what makes your toes curl.. and if and when it outgrows the space .. cut it down and use it as a xmas tree ... instead of buying something lackluster to fit a space ... guess your seller took me at my word.. lol

ken

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the spelling lesson Dax -- I'm not a conifer grower (yet), and I must say there are endless opportunities for spelling errors here! And Ken -- perhaps that is exactly how this tree came to be cut. We had three feet or so of snow that came early last year and except for fluctuating levels, didn't go anywhere until three months later, so there are several 'Nootkas' in the area with lots of damage to their bottoms. So perhaps someone planted a new one.
    Jan

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Never heard of Nootka Cypresses being grown commercially as christmas trees, they're so slow-growing they'd need to be priced very high to make growing them profitable.

Which makes me worry that it might have been stolen from someone's garden.

Resin

• deltaohioz5
    12 years ago

Yep thats what I'm thinking Resin. I'm waiting for some a-hole to cut down one of my umbrella pines for a christmas tree since they are growing close to a main highway.

Frank

12 years ago

where the pic's...

i fail to believe that you did not take a pic of your decorated xmas tree ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: how to post pix

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So -- with a little help from the younger generation (couldn't "do" technology without them!) here's a photo of my $35 Christmas tree, 5 minutes to decorate, 5 minutes to undecorate, and yet our favourite tree ever. I don't believe it could have been stolen since I bought it from a really old very reputable garden store that acquired it with their shipment of wreaths, garlands etc. Next time I'm in the shop I'll ask, and place my order for next year!{{gwi:653321}}

• dirtbath
    12 years ago

Love the picture!lol

Jack

• maple_grove_gw
    12 years ago

Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!

Seriously though, that's an awesome Christmas tree.

Alex

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Oh Jan, I love it. That is a gorgeous Christmas tree. I agree get your order in for next year. LOL.

12 years ago

absolutely superb!!!

it is an inspiration for any of us.. who have a conifer.. that is outgrowing a spot ....

ken

• sluice
    12 years ago

I haven't seen them sold as Christmas trees before, although the local big box recently had larger potted specimens that were about the same price as a typical Christmas tree (often noble, concolor, or doug fir).

It looks fantastic in your living room. That's as good as it gets!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!