Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scpalmnut

Pinus pungens limited time offer

scpalmnut
10 years ago

If any one would be interested in trading, I have limited quantities of fresh Pinus pungens 'Doughton Park' scion material available. Just send me an email and we'll talk. Offer expires Monday, February 3rd.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    10 years ago

Hello.

This is a kind offer. I'm not familiar with this cultivar. Do you have a picture or description? What is the preferred under stock? I have sylvestris and contorta available to me.

Dave

• mesterhazypinetum
    10 years ago

Great offer, Sc
    Please send 2 or 3 scions to
    Miroslav Malik to his great collection
    Ceske Vrbne 1938
    370 01 Ceske Budejovice 2
    Czech Republik

Thanks
    Zsolt

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Sounds very interesting. You've got mail.

Alex

• scpalmnut
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pinus pungens 'Doughton Park'

{{gwi:639444}}

• pineresin
    10 years ago

"Great offer, Sc
    Please send 2 or 3 scions to
    Miroslav Malik to his great collection
    Ceske Vrbne 1938
    370 01 Ceske Budejovice 2
    Czech Republik"

Not possible: it is illegal to import live foliage material of Pinus from North America into the European Union.

Resin

• mesterhazypinetum
    10 years ago

Hi Resin,
    do you remember, in the times of Al Capone whiskey selling was also forbidden. I hope pines are not so dangerous...
    Zsolt

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Pines are not dangerous of themselves, but the pests and diseases they may carry very definitely are. Would you really like to see a devastating new pine disease wiping out all of your existing plants?

Resin

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

It is worth caution for sure. I can tell you that Europe does not need new introductions of the pine wilt nematode or pitch canker pathogen.

• mesterhazypinetum
    10 years ago

My Pinetum has several american pines, some of them over 20 meters. Some bought, some of seeds. I dont cut them off. (contorta varieties, ponderosa, washoensis, jeffrey, flexilis, monticola, strobiayacahuite x, reflexa, cembroides etc) I never saw pests on trees, all growing well, better than at home.

• nothotsuga
    10 years ago

Mr. mesterhazypinetum is always right.

But maybe he does not understand the verb: to trade?
    And he is confusing it with the verb: to offer? Or to give?
    Of course it is better not to discuss with someone with a reference to Al Capone.
    It could be dangerous.

And just now I am wondering about some unexplained thefts...
    Obviously someone does not know that it is illegal too.
    But I am sure that someone knows that this is dangerous.

Of course I am accusing nobody.
    Just trying to connect some dots about legal-illegal.

• andreas75_gw
    10 years ago

Hy!

And how many pests came over the american pines if material from the wild is brought into the american gardens? I know, you don't make the laws, but a little questionable they are from time to time...

Aren't you afraid of bringing european pine pests to america if you import from poland or the netherlands?

I do not want to provoke, but i find the restrictions simply annoying, because our hobby is so limited trough that ...

Sadly,
    Andreas from Germany

• pineresin
    10 years ago

Hi Andreas - yes, it is a severe problem. The USA got e.g. Cronartium ribicola imported from Europe on nursery plants, and it has destroyed most of the Pinus albicaulis, Pinus lambertiana, and Pinus monticola, they are all now threatened or even endangered species, because of historical stupidity by nurserymen. Now, fortunately, this sort of introduction is illegal.

Of course taking American wild plants into cultivation in America is usually not a problem, as local native species are adapted to their local native pests and diseases. The problems begin when you transport plants over long distances, from one continent to another continent, or from one side of a large continent to the other side of a large continent.

Resin

• andreas75_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the answer, i understand that.
    This is very sad, because you have so many great varieties over there, which are not to find here ... As we surely have things that you adore. And then no exchange is possible... Sad thing, particularly why the Pinus pungens- broom pictured is really a very very one....

• pineresin
    10 years ago

I'd much rather grow seeds (which can be imported legally) anyway ;-)

Resin

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals