Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Spring is coming, things I'm looking forward to.

Spring comes early here in the Pacific Northwest, and then stays around usually until early July. It certainly hasn't arrived yet but it's very close. Spring for many of us is a time of great celebration, after a rough Winter and only occasional sunlight. For gardeners though Spring is an orgy of good times. Here are eight things I am looking forward to this Spring(or this year):

8. New bulbs making their showing. There seemed to be a huge discount on bulbs this year at the stores I frequent and I made one or two dozen impulse buys.

{{gwi:654498}}

{{gwi:654501}}

7. Clematis all over. I also found a reasonable clematis source and thus planted several around, underneath and near trees and some conifers. It should be fun to see this golden dawn redwood blooming purple-violet.

{{gwi:654503}}

6. Finishing a small project. This was before I removed an overgrown, ugly maple and...

{{gwi:654506}}

replaced it with a soon to be overgrown trio of Abies nordmanniana, Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Boyko's Sundown' and Acer japonicum 'Aconitifolium'. Also included in this project was expanding the conifer bed to the left full of miniatures and dwarves.

{{gwi:654509}}

5. Finishing another big project and last good chunk of land I have to play with. St. John's Wort and numerous other less-then-savory plants should be gone in a few weeks and then hopefully I can fill this space with large conifers to shield my house from the wind.

{{gwi:654510}}

{{gwi:654511}}

4. Next Autumn/Winter to see if this umbrella pine colors up the same again.

{{gwi:654512}}

3. Watching this maple from last year. Was a branch grafted from Acer shirasawanum 'Auream' that did wierd and wonderful things. It held this color well into August.

{{gwi:654513}}

2. Leap year. Plants sleep, creep and leap for for the vast majority of plants in my garden it's the leap year. I am very excited to see all of the plants I've nurtured finally take off.

1. Hammock time.

{{gwi:654515}}

-Will

Comments (8)