Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmajicmann

abies koreana

mmajicmann
12 years ago

i can't see enough pics of these beauties and have three, maybe 3'6' tall. anyone care to share one of theirs?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:643045}}

Comments (9)

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    12 years ago

I love them, too. Aren't the young cones gorgeous? This one is 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'. I have 'Aurea', also, but no photo.

{{gwi:655218}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Form and Foliage

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

man thats some nice edging.. you ought to do a pic tutorial on that

is that st andrews gold course behind.. at first it looked like a mess.. but the more i looked at it.. i like the wildness of it ...

my favorite kor is aurea ...

ken

first the species .. which now that it is getting bigger i can see the white undersides with out laying on the ground ... and it coned pretty young ... i have had to repeatedly remove multiple leaders.. i blame birds ... and the neighbor is the one who decorated it ...
    {{gwi:655219}}

and here is aurea ...
    {{gwi:655220}}
    {{gwi:655221}}
    {{gwi:655222}}

and 'silver show/silberloche'.. isnt too bad .. i cant tell them apart .. [i can never remember if its loche or locke]
    {{gwi:655223}}
    {{gwi:655224}}

• mmajicmann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lol ken, wow those are all awesome. i must get aurea and silberloche....and yes, that 'mess' changes with the seasons. the backround pic 1 is a hayfield on land formerly a dairy farm.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:643047}}

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i remember that pic ...

its better with 4 season interest ...

at your link.. will the birch go into the power lines???? or is that an optical delusion???? tree moving time is soon ...

and its not a wreck.. i was pulling your leg ...

how much property do you have.. your spacing is a bit on the close side .. for some of the species trees ... my A. k. is now going on about 8 feet wide.. and 15 tall ... when your gets that size.. the left juniper will probably have to go.. if it isnt dead by then ... are those both junipers on either side.. dont tel me they are supposed to be duplicates.. cuz they sure have a different form ...

ken

• mmajicmann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

why would my moonglow (witchita on the right) be dead by then? ah good eye on the spacing, about 6.5 feet apart center to center. since that a.k. is still a pup, moving it straight back 3 feet might be just right. tx... the wire is 40 feet back along the dirt road. do your local nurseries stock aurea? i've not seen them in sw nh. oh and formand, that tree is awesome, no cones for me yet but was one reason i pulled the trigger. 3 acres but most of that in back (more hayfield).

{{gwi:655225}}

{{gwi:655226}}

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Here are a couple Abies koreana 'Horstmann's Silberlocke'.

Not big on Abies koreana for whatever reason.

{{gwi:655227}}

{{gwi:655228}}

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

As with other silver firs the trick is keeping them looking nice beyond the commonly seen small stages like in these pictures. There is also a poor open growing form that may be encountered when seed-raised stock is used. And it's possible some plants being grown may be the hybrid A. x arnoldiana, I wonder for instance if one I have been growing that was bought as a Korean fir is actually this hybrid. It would look okay except rabbits clipped the bottom branches awhile back.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Here is one at the MKE Botanic Gardens.

{{gwi:655229}}

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Very nice photos of Abies koreana everyone. I did not realize Aurea got that big around the base. I grafted a few of them and hope I get one to take. It is a beautiful looking tree.

MM I love the photo of the with the tractor and bales in the background. I think your yard is going to be so spectacular once everything grows up. Very nice.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting