Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deciduous versus evergreen... what are the advantages of each?

Posted by noki (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 2, 12 at 22:33

Deciduous needles versus evergreen needles... what are the advantages of each for a tree? Disadvantages? In terms of evolution, survival, growth?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deciduous versus evergreen... what are the advantages of each

I find deciduous conifers very intriguing because they are quite a paradox to anyone who is not experienced with conifers. They think all conifers are evergreens, so it's really cool to get the fall display of deciduous conifers & also impress your novice friends with your "dead evergreen" ;-)

However, evergreen conifers have their benefits as well. For example, if there were no evergreen trees, think how dull your garden would be in the winter--totally barren.

To me, they both have excellent and diverse aspects that they should both be planted in abundance in every garden.
But, then again, this is the conifer forum & I'm biased!

Good question, Noki.

-Sam

o
RE: Deciduous versus evergreen... what are the advantages of each

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 3, 12 at 13:20

Deciduous conifers planted to the south or west of the house, let the winter light in and provide summer shade. Real important in our damp winter climate.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here