Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monkeytreeboy15

Doug and Sam's Brooming Adventure

monkeytreeboy15
11 years ago

Thinking I might start a storybook, containing photos and stories of all the experiences I encounter and people I meet while collecting various conifers...

Today was a good chapter in my theoretical "book" when Doug Wilson and I hunted down the golden redwood I had found a couple weeks ago.
Upon arriving at the tree, apparently no one was home. Moments later, a kind woman welcomed us, asking why we were gazing up at her majestic redwood tree. We explained to her why we wanted that golden branch so bad, and she was more than happy to accommodate our conifer fetish.
After vain attempts to reach the branch with the pole pruner from the ground, I decided to brave the squirrels and climb the tree.
(Don't know why this picture is sideways..)
{{gwi:655283}}
After climbing to about 40 feet (10-15 meters) up in the tree, I sawed off the entire branch, allowing it to fall to the earth where we collected the loot!
{{gwi:655284}}
{{gwi:655285}}
{{gwi:655287}}
After cleaning up the mess we made with the fallen limb, we were off to a MASSIVE witch's broom that Doug had found years ago.
{{gwi:655288}}
{{gwi:655289}}
By climbing onto the roof of the garage you see in the previous picture, the beast was easily within reach.
Doug hoisted the pole pruner onto the roof where I cut at the broom until several large pieces fell down.
{{gwi:655290}}

Doug with his glorious find!
{{gwi:655291}}

We were happy to have accomplished the mission without injury.. although the camera was drooping slightly..
{{gwi:655292}}

I hope you enjoyed sharing in our exciting adventure. Looking forward to propagating the plants next week!
Thanks for watching.

-Sam

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to original post about golden redwood

Comments (22)

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Neat pics. I like that big one - what is it, and how quickly will it die in Michigan?

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Nice work guys, send me some scions if you have a mind to, thanks in advance :o)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

We were happy to have accomplished the mission without injury.. although the camera was drooping slightly..

==>> now thats funny ... perhaps you are simply too tall.. since doug is just fine in the pic ...

what you really need ... is a blinding white mustache ... then .. well.. you could be like that other guy.. lol ..

who knew monkeys were afraid of squirrels.. rotflmbo ...

ken

• cryptomeria
    11 years ago

Good luck for both finds!

Wolfgang

• hungrymind
    11 years ago

Sam, you guys are on a roll! congrats on all your brooms this year. I like the idea of a book! I wonder how many times Doug drove by that huge broom before it jumped out at him? great finds.
    Rob

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I meant to include in my original post that it's a Cryptomeria japonica broom that Doug found. He has not yet decided on what to name it. Not sure how long before it would die in Michigan, but it would not do as well as in the Pacific Northwest..

-Sam

This post was edited by monkeytreeboy15 on Sun, Feb 24, 13 at 11:33

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

Great finds and a funny story. That huge witches broom is pretty amazing. It's like a full sized specimen already!

Looking forward to growing these puppies down the road.

Keep up the great work you two, you're on to a LOT of brooms.

-Will

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Sam,

the thought of you scrambling around in huge trees harvesting brooms lends new meaning to your nickname.

Go, Monkey Boy in a Tree! LOL

Be safe up there, pardner.

• henksgarden
    11 years ago

Nice broom and I like that yellow sequoia hope you send it around .
    Henk.

• ogcon
    11 years ago

Please feel free to chime in with possible cv names.I
    kind of liked VW Bug but probably wouldn't
    describe any resulting propagants.Winning name gets
    scion as of tomorrow?
    Doug

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

Not that I have a lot of experience with them, but Doug's broom is the most remarkable in situ broom I have ever seen!

I try to not get too excited because, frankly, I can't grow most of what is posted on this forum (yet), but these are two great looking finds =)

Thanks for sharing!

John

• liopleurodon
    11 years ago

Great finds!
    The large C. japonica broom is really remarkable.

I'm glad to see that I'm apparently not the only conifer obsessed person in my age category! :p

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Oooh...we can just barely get away with C. japonica here; well...everybody but Ken can, at least. ;)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Nice Sequoia!

Doug, how about 'Tiny'? Then again it's growing fast!

Jam on Fellas.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Nice work, guys, these are some nice finds here.

I'll suggest 'C. Spray' for the Cryptomeria name.

Alex

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

The way that broom puffed out of the side of the tree I'd call it 'Billows'

tj

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the name: Monkeying Around ....

what else could it be ...

now.. what do you have that will survive in MI .. lol ..

and give it to sam to graft for me..

ken

ps: presumptuous??? .. lol ....

pps: and if he ever finds a little bun of a plant.. well.. monkey bread ... lol ..

• ogcon
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input......the name' billows 'came close
    but because of no winter browning on this Crypt.broom
    and with pressure to find a name from the Monkeytree boy
    it turns out to be 'Jolly Green Dwarf '.Thanks for your interest!Doug

• monkeytreeboy15
    Original Author
    11 years ago

300 'Jolly Green Dwarf' and 100 'Wilsonville Gold' have been propagated.

{{gwi:655293}}
    {{gwi:655295}}

We hand-picked some of the best scions of 'Wilsonville Gold' for grafting. We tried to pick those with a good mix of both green and gold.
    We also rooted several and distributed the rest to other propagators.
    {{gwi:655297}}
    {{gwi:655299}}
    {{gwi:655301}}
    {{gwi:655303}}

-Sam

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

What a great time you must be having Sam, venturing into the conifer world so deeply at such a young age. It's really a great start for you under the wings of guys like Doug, Dick and Brent, amongst others.

Great stories, finds and what great times, at least as conifer nuts, we all live in.

-Will

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Good job, man. Looking forward to growing 'Jolly Green Dwarf' one day.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Good luck Sam! Good luck Doug, and good name!

Dax