Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Four years of Picea pungens 'Mrs. Cesarini'

For those of you wondering where I have been, I've just been struck a bit by a different bug - women. I do plan on being an active part of these forums, and of course I am always up for some conversation and new plant talk!

Now four years into collecting conifers, I have some cool photo time lapse galleries to share. Many of my conifers are small, but the advantage of this and the yearly photographs is people can see some average growth rates, colors and habits. Of course your results may vary, but here's an example. I'll do one of these every so often, especially if people enjoy them.

Picea pungens 'Mrs. Cesarini'. I've seen some debate as to whether this plant is a Picea abies or Picea pungens. With the help of Edwin and Henk, and some comparison's to some plants it's commonly mislabeled as, it's clear this plant is Picea pungens. It seems to grow about an inch, maybe an inch and a half a year, usually pushes twice, and is a green color during the growing season. After the needles harden a bit, the color changes to a nicer green-blue and it is a very attractive near-miniature in my opinion.

Winter 2008-2009(technically the first conifers I ever planted).

{{gwi:656476}}

{{gwi:656477}}

{{gwi:656478}}

{{gwi:656479}}

And note another specimen labeled as Picea pungens 'Mrs. Cesarini'. Similar but also quite differnt, and clearly Picea abies. It's hard to say if this cultivar will ever be identified but Picea pungens it most certainly is not.

{{gwi:656480}}

-Will

Comments (8)

• ricksample
    12 years ago

Looks great! I enjoy seeing the growth over a number of years, definitely post more! Hopefully in a few years I'll be able to do the same.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

I've just been struck a bit by a different bug - women

===>>> more than one at a time can lead to big problems

well ... congrats man.. i was worried about your singular focus in life.. man can not procreate with a bush .. lol ...

make sure she has the same interest in conifers ... as compared to a tolerance ... and i speak from experience ...

good luck with all that ...

oh.. nice plant

ken

• tunilla
    12 years ago

Just steer clear of the 'Miss Cleopatra'-s and you'll be fine...you don't want to end up as a headless 'understock' !!!
    Super plant,by the way - another one that I haven't seen for sale anywhere. T.

• Cher
    12 years ago

Nice plant. I like the second one too, whatever it is, but like the real one best. And you can enjoy both hobbies. :)
    Cher

• sluice
    12 years ago

Those are great annual growth pics!

• Garen Rees
    12 years ago

Yay! Best wishes to you and your lady. Hope she's a keeper. I married mine about 4 month ago. She hates when I refer to a plant by it's real name and likes to make up her own names for them. For example on my garden list I have to write Abies koreana 'Silver Show' and add her made up name, Snow Shoe, at the end. No worries Edwin, I know this sounds like something out of a bad dream lol. I won't let these extra names escape my garden. Other than that she's encouraging with my conifer bug. A companion is another great obsession and I'm sure she will enjoy your garden too.

Keep up the picture posting Will. You are definitely an inspiration to increasing the severity of my coniferitis. Every time I go to google a picture of a cultivar I am led to one of your threads. Thanks for all the great pictures.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update both in and out of the garden.
    I agree those are both nice plants.

tj

P.S. A girl hand in hand is worth two in the bush.

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Very nice time lapse photos Will. Picea pungens Mrs. Cesarini looks beautiful. I would love to see more of your photos.

ummm...I do agree more than one woman may cause you some serious problems...like ummm not enough money to continue to add to your conifer collection. LOL. Good luck with your new hobby. I hope it works out for you.

Garen, what a hoot. It's good that your wife notices your conifers and is encouraging you to continue adding to your conifer addiction. Let her use whatever names she deems necessary as long as you can continue to add more conifers. LOL

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus