Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is planting Austrian Pine a waste of time?

Posted by greatplainsturf 6/7 OK (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 29, 12 at 23:57

The local big box has some decent prices on Austrian Pines. These trees are so tough and grow great in OK. Unfortunately like most of the Midwest we have pine wilt nematode killing trees each year. My question is, are there conditions (like density of susceptible trees in an area) that increase the risk of disease, or should I save the money because it is destined to die?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is planting Austrian Pine a waste of time?

This problem is well known in the Midwest...your included.

As a native to North America pine wilt nematode is primarily a pathogen of non-native, 2-3 needle pines.

There are no favorable conditions in your area that will prevent these trees (Pinus nigra) from getting PWN.

Dave

o

i suppose it would depend on how good a price .... and whether you can grow and enjoy it for a few years.. a few decades ... before it fails ...

you could probably get a 2nd year seedling for a couple bucks.. and enjoy it for 10 years.. and get rid of it when the day comes..

but i wouldnt waste 30 to 50 bucks on bigboxstore bargain ...

ken

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 13:01

In most areas Bosnian Pine is being planted in its place.

Easily my least favorite pine that I can grow.

o

Austrian pine has no hope here. It may be 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, but it will get hit.

Bosnian is the direction I also went. It is by far the most resistent so far to wilt. I also like their thicker heavier needles as well.

mark

o

Sorry Ken, I have to call you on this one.

Would you invest in a new conifer that you knew was going to take a hit sooner then later. Knowing you I don't think you would take the risk even for 2 bucks.

So why do you tell this person go ahead and enjoy it for a few years when that would not even be a consideration for you?

Greatplainsturf...as much as you like Pinus nigra don't waste your time planting it even if it's given to you. Invest your time and money on something that is a known performer in your area.

Dave

o

i have some basic recall of your garden size ..

do you really have the space for this potentially HUGE tree???? .. check out the link ..

even for a buck.. its still just a plain green pine ...

skip it ...

ken

ps how are the pungens doing???? did you replace that one sickly looking one???

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

"Austrian pine has no hope here. It may be 2 years, 3 years, 5 years, but it will get hit.

Bosnian is the direction I also went. It is by far the most resistent so far to wilt. I also like their thicker heavier needles as well.

mark"

Any firm evidence for Bosnian Pine being resistant to PWN? No reason why it should be any different to Austrian in susceptibility.

If you want a PWN-resistant pine, go for Shortleaf Pine Pinus echinata.

Resin

o

Scots Pine (Pinus sylvestris and Austrian Pine Pinus nigra, to my knowledge, in Midwest Kansas City are the only two species under attack here. All other species seem to be resisting. Nigra and sylvestris about 95% eliminated. The other 5% remaining will be history at the end of the season.

If you want a stand of pines go with your native species. They for the most part are resistant to this pathogen.

I have two cultivars that have the potential to become infected Pinus nigra 'Hornibrookiana'/ Pinus thunbergiana 'Thunderhead' but they are small, isolated, and not prime candidates for this disease.

Link information below.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: PWN

o

So Far so good on the Pungens Ken. My Bakeri survived the first year dispite the horrific summer we had last year. My sickly Fat Albert was replaced this fall with a very nice Hoopsi grown by Iseli. It's already got some great root growth so I have high hopes for it.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 21:39

I was thinking of diplodia tip blight. At the end of the day there are so many damn pine diseases its hard not to plant one that will be susceptible to something.

If there is one particular species that is over planted in your area perhaps that is the one you might want to stay away from if it is highly susceptible to a particular disease.

o

As I was reading this thread, I started to get worried...I have a Pinus nigra about 10 or 12 years old here and it's doing just fine right now but does that mean it's susceptible to getting that disease(PWN) in my area as well(Quebec)? I see lots of these trees around here that are now 20 or even 30 years old without showing any signs of decline.What's the actual spread of the disease?

Dan

o

Dan,

Don't worry especially if no trees are infected. Check around.

Not to say some day they will not become a problem in your area.

North America: Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan; probably throughout), Mexico, USA (recorded from at least 34 states, including Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut. North America: Canada (Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Ontario, Quebec, Saskatchewan; probably throughout), Mexico, USA (recorded from at least 34 states, including Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut

In link. Heavy reading but understandable.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: PWN

o

One other thing Ken. What is wrong with a tree that is green? You can't have all exotic types can you?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here