Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

New Stuff!

echolane
11 years ago

Made another extremely enjoyable visit to Pond and Garden yesterday (Tuesday). Scott's place is absolutely stuffed with wonderful plants. Of course (!) I acquired some wonderful new "pets"!

This one might be my favorite:
Tsuga mertensiana 'Bump's Blue'
{{gwi:658036}}

But this one is right up there, Pinus parviflora 'Tanimo no yuki' (Snow in Valley).
{{gwi:658037}}

and here are some more:

Tsuga canadensis 'Betty Rose'
{{gwi:658038}}

Abies procera 'Horstmann'
{{gwi:658039}}

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
{{gwi:658040}}

Pinus aristata (longaeva) 'Joe's Bess'
{{gwi:658041}}

Picea abies 'Horace Wilson'
{{gwi:658042}}

Picea glauca 'Elf'
{{gwi:658044}}

Juniperus horizontalis 'Mother Lode'
{{gwi:658046}}

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Snow'
{{gwi:658048}}

Cedrus libiani 'Hedgehog' (already starting to grow)
{{gwi:658050}}

Chamaecyparis obtusa (nameless). Unfortunately, the tag has broken and the little that's left doesn't give me a clue to its name....
{{gwi:658052}}

Comments (19)

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops - Already caught myself in a typo.

Should be Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann' (not procera).

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Nice stuff!

Other typos, it's 'Tanima-no-yuki' (not 'Tanimo no yuki')

It's Cedrus libani (not Cedrus libiani)

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

Great plants and very healthy too. It will be interesting to see how you encorporate them into your garden.
    Richard

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

sublime..

was this a road trip .. such as we had to twist your arm for..

or is this the local peeps??

it was 12 degrees this morning at 6am in MI ... whats it like to walk around outdoors???

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Nice, nice, nice! I was there on Monday and also left with some goodies from the Buchholz delivery - I think that I was standing there with Scott when he was talking to you on the phone! Talk about a virtual garden community...

Have fun with them!

Sara

ps Ken it is 6 am here now and it is 43 degrees. Maybe I don't know what early morning is, either!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Yep, super conifer selections!

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

touche ... lol

ken

• texjagman
    11 years ago

That's a nice sized 'Tanima-no-yuki' . Very nice.

mark

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

Great selection - you must be so excited! I think it's time for me to add a few new conifers from my wish list too. I've just worked up a new area to begin filling.

• ogcon
    11 years ago

Yes indeed very nice plants.I believe photo #4 is Abies
    pinsapo however.If I only got to choose one of the above
    it would be 'Bumps Blue'.Fully sun tolerant in PNW but
    drain it sharply!You must have gotten to the nursery
    early.Doug

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Scott was able to tell me the name of the little Chamaecyparis. So here it is again:

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Golden Hage'

{{gwi:658052}}

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

It's lovely!
    Sara
    ps I just got a 'Peve Tijn' from him and I adore it. And I just changed the banner photo on the ACS WR Facebook page to a close up shot of A. pinsapo 'Horstmann'. What great texture.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

That Bump's Blue is sweet. I had two Tm that croaked on me last year. One was mostly full sun and the other in part shade. Both had excellent drainage. All the Tc I had didn't suffer one bit. Not sure what it is about this species here. I've heard the same from others.

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments everyone! I am looking forwasrd to getting some of them planted this weekend.

Sara, I can't WAIT for my 'Peve Tijn' to show me some new spring growth! And then there's Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann', which I think will be putting on a great spring show too. Two plants with incredible texture.

Ken, It was only (!) 63 degrees here today, but much warmer days are around the corner. Spring is really underway here, with lots of new leaves and flowers, and a few conifers are beginning their spring show - a couple of spruces and the pines are showing green in the buds or pushing new candles.

Oh dear, I hope T. mertensiana 'Bump's Blue' is not going to be tricky like the Ch lawsonianas......I would hate to lose this one.....I will definitely provide it good drainage.

Jan

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Jan I have only just gotten Tsuga for the first time - have three that I am about to put in the ground. I fell in love with them when I was in Oregon last fall. I stuck with heterophylla and mertensiana thinking that they would do better in our hotter climate than canadensis (but perhaps that was faulty reasoning?) and I plan to site them where they get a bit of shade. Now I will make sure I pay attention to drainage as well. We'll have to compare notes as we go along.

Sara

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sara, Sounds good! I've a large old T. Canadensis 'Gentsch White' that Is planted opposite from ideal, IOW, shaded by the house in morning, full sun in the afternoon, and also in heavier than ideal soil and it has done just fine, so I was surprised to learn that T. mertensiana could be problematic. I am planting mine in a raised bed that gets afternoon shade and will keep a close eye on it. Wishing us both luck, Jan

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

My tiny 'Bump's Blue' was planted in full sun in a raised bed of loamy clay last spring. I lost many of my small new plantings (mostly the Abies) due to the extreme heat and drought but my 'Bump's Blue' miraculously made it through. Then a bunny bit the top off the leader. I'm still happy. Yours is such a nice size and looks so beautiful.

You picked out a great bunch. I added a few of the same last year. I hope you don't mind me adding some pics to your post.
    Pic from June 24, 2012 'Bumps Blue' with 'Mother Lode" slithering towards it.
    {{gwi:658054}}

Here's what your Abies pinsapo 'Horstmann' will look like soon. Mine was about the same size as yours but didn't like last summers heat and went to the great forest in the sky.
    {{gwi:658056}}

Oh and here is the awesomeness of Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' from last spring.
    {{gwi:658057}}

Thanks for sharing!

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Loved the photos you added! Though it must be painful to look at the photo of A. Procera 'Horstmann'..... Awesome 'Peve Tijn' in spring glory.

What is the large pine behind and to the left of 'Bump's Blue'? It's such a handsome green.

Jan

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Love the A. pinsapo 'Horstmann' with it's stubby stiff needles. It even gets nice clusters of red pollen cones that contrast very nicely with the blue. I don't know if I'll try it again. If I do I'll put it in a protected area near the house. For know I'll enjoy yours ;^)

The dark green conifer is one of my first conifers. Nothing special, just your standard ubiquitous Pinus mugo 'Pumilio' that can be found at your local big box store. They are usually grown from seed and will vary in shape and shades of green. I picked out a nice, tight, dark green one. The back side of the plant doesn't look as good. My dogs use it as a fire hydrant.