Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Spring is Underway

echolane
11 years ago

As a former mid-westerner I can relate to those who look forward impatiently for spring after a long cold winter. Here in Northern California (San Francisco Bay Area) we are enjoying some nice spring weather and plants are starting to put on their spring show.

Pinus parviflora âÂÂKinpoâ (or 'Kin-po') with new candles and some wonderful cones
{{gwi:658180}}

Pinus mugo âÂÂMitsch Miniâ with new candles starting
{{gwi:658181}}

Pinus mugo âÂÂCarstenâÂÂs Wintergoldâ (or 'Carsten's) also showing new candles
{{gwi:658185}}

Picea abies 'Elegans' showing tiny new green buds
{{gwi:658186}}

Juniperis communis âÂÂGold Coneâ pushing out new growth
{{gwi:658189}}

Still no change in color for one of my two
Thuya occidentalis âÂÂGolden TuffetâÂÂ, though the other one has its summer color
{{gwi:658194}}

A couple of showy non-conifer spring displays:

Pieris japonica in full flower and just starting to push out its scarlet new leaves.
{{gwi:658198}}

Acer japonicum âÂÂKatsuraâÂÂ
{{gwi:658199}}

And lastly, an unwanted sign of spring!
{{gwi:658202}}

Comments (22)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i will save you from the diatribe of 12 degrees yesterday morning in MI ...

gold cone ... remove the secondary leader???? .. my 10 year old splayed this winter ... dont suppose that ice and snow is an issue for you ...

the growth rate on the carstens ... seems way to mini as compared to mine ... either yours or mine might be labeled wrong ...

otherwise.. thanks for the pics ...

did i miss an overview pic of your garden??? ... that first pic makes me think.. you are holding out on us/me ....

ken

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Very nice pictures, I especially like 'Kin-po'. Same goes for the other thread with the new additions. That 'Bumps Blue' is very, very nice.

I'd guess the growth we see on 'Carstens' is slow since it's so young, and has yet to come into its stride .

I second Ken, keep the photos coming, and would love a photo tour of your garden, when you have a chance.

Alex

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jan, let me help me with some other conifer names which you're showing us here:

The following names are right:
    -Pinus parviflora 'Kin-po'
    -Pinus mugo 'Carstens'

Your Juniperus communis isn't a 'Gold Cone', it's a 'Suecica Aurea'.
    The true 'Gold Cone' is yellow year round.
    The 'Suecica Aurea' is yellow in spring and summer and will fade to green in fall.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Thanks Jan! (And Edwin keeps us all on the straight and narrow with our names!) It looks like that around here, too. I have been keeping quiet about it due to all of the posts about frigid weather, gale force winds, etc. If Ken found out that our almond and plum trees flower in January, I don't know WHAT his reaction would be!

Sara

11 years ago

hey FF..

up at 6 am.. ???

you dont know what early is..

i am up at 5:52 every morning ... lol ... and to top it off.. thats EST .. not that wimpy PST ... so i am up at 3:52 your time.. lol ..

edwin.. that carstens looks right to you.. growth/size wise??????

ken

• barbaraincalif
    11 years ago

Great pictures of spring! Thanks for including the Pieris and maple...two beauties that I wish I could grow.

My so called Juniperis communis âÂÂGold Coneâ looks the same as yours and has never shown a hint of yellow in four years. Had been considering dumping it, but now that we know it is mislabeled it's gone for sure!

Anybody want a Juniperis communis 'Suecica Aurea'?

Barbara

11 years ago

yes, i would take a small one .....

its sublime..

until an ice storm hit it at 10 years old ...

is it small enough to send anywhere?? i mean like the one above.. tiny ...

and i would argue it doesnt green.. its more of a steel blue ... regardless.. its not limey yellow all year

ken
    {{gwi:658205}}

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Ooh Ken that's a really nice plant! That must have been a sad day when it was murdered by the ice storm.

Don't call me when you're up at 5:50 edt!

Sara

11 years ago

i should mention ... thats is natural form..

i did enough shearing in my teens at dads house .. to last a lifetime ... privet

ken

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have another larger and tighter 'Gold Cone, that is equally disappointing. It is green all year round. I thought perhaps I was growing it in too much shade, (though it's in full sun in winter), but it seems our sources have been putting the wrong name to this plant! Very disappointing!

Has anyone gotten one from Iseli? Is their clone a true 'Gold Cone'?

Jan

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I have three and they are very gold. They either came from Iseli or Buchholz. I may be able to find out...

Sara

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Let me know what you find out about your source, Sara. I really had wanted/expected mine to be gold all year.

And Ken, that is an absolutely gorgeous one!

Jan

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Jan mine came from Youngbloods - another Oregon grower. So that doesn't tell you much!
    Sara

11 years ago

It is green all year round. I thought perhaps I was growing it in too much shade, (though it's in full sun in winter),

==>> its a spring flush yellow ... winter sun would be irrelevant ...

if you cant tell.. mine is in full blinding sun.. all day.. all year .. which is useless info for SF CA ...

does joy keep missing my question about the carstens ....???

ken

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Ken, I missed your quiestion, I'm realy sorry for that ;0)

It looks like a true 'Carstens' to me because it does have an extra pair of smaller needles around it's buds.
    We can still see this at it's right under part.

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Youngblood's doesn't help, you're right :-). So I've decided to move my larger 'Gold Cone' into 90% sun and hope it will decide to remain yellow for me. My larger one came from a different source so perhaps there is hope that it will actually be 'Gold Cone' and not 'Suecica Aurea'
    Jan

• clement_2006
    11 years ago

SPRING ???
    {{gwi:658208}}
    {{gwi:658211}}
    Today is the 24 March the more frost from 160 years !
    Clement

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beautiful!!!

Easy to say when I can admire from a warmer distance :-). Actually I was reading about this unusually late storm in Europe which has closed airports and caused a lot of other problems.

Jan

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

Clement, my trees are weighed down w/snow more than that! Hopefully wind will blow it off later today.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I think that that midwest US is also under a blanket of white. Jan, you and I had better keep quiet about what's going on in our world!

• botann
    11 years ago

I should keep quiet also. At least the snow has the good sense to stay up in the mountains here.
    Echolane, I sure like that Pinus parviflora 'kinpo'! Real nice.
    My Pieris is just beginning to bloom. Not near as far along as yours.
    View from my garden.
    Mike

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mike, That view from your garden is breathtaking! But I must say, spring has slowed to a crawl here as the last week was chilly, and this one is much the same. My pretty Kin-po is still elongating its candles though. Jan