Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pvecholane

Can anyone ID these for me?

echolane
11 years ago

I am fairly meticulous about keeping records for my plants, but on some of my conifers that I've had for many many years, I seem to have lost track of their names.

It would be wonderful if I could restore the names to these three plants:

I have a record of buying Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Silver Lode' in 1991 (or is it Ch. pisifera minima 'Silver Lode'. Is this the plant?

First the foliage:
{{gwi:658488}}
Then the plant; still retaining some of its duller winter color
{{gwi:658489}}

Here's another one I don't know the name of:

{{gwi:658490}}

And lastly, this one, a Chamaecyparis of some sort:
{{gwi:658491}}

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

is the third one a lawson???

i owned C. l. treasure island.. for about 45 minutes one year ...

well.. i exaggerate.. all summer.. and then thru 45 minutes of a MI winter ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Nana Albovariegata'

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Ellwood's Gold'

Looks like a cultivar of Chamaecyparis obtusa with fern foliage.
    Can you show us a detail pic of it?
    Did you prune this one?

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you so much Coniferjoy :).

I did prune the latter Chamaecyparis a little, but the first photo shows it unpruned, and following are some closeups of mostly unpruned foliage. Hope they will be helpful in identifying this plant for me!

{{gwi:658493}}

{{gwi:658495}}

{{gwi:658497}}

{{gwi:658498}}

{{gwi:658499}}

Jan

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jan, thanks for your additional pics.
    I changed my mind becuase now I see it's not a cultivar of Chamaecyparis obtusa.
    It's colour isn't right for it and also it's foliage doesn't shine.

Your second pic shows me that this one is also a cultivar of Chamaecyparis pisifera and it's cultivar name is 'Compacta'.
    This one is simular to the Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Nana', but does have a more open growing habit and is a bit faster growing.

I hope I helped you with this info.

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You have definitely helped me with your info, Coniferjoy, thank you so much!

Meanwhile, I have done some further research on Ch. l. 'Ellwood's Gold' and am having some doubt that this is the correct id. The one I have is only 45" tall, (I know, it does look larger than that in the photo, so I decided to measure it), and since it is more than 15 years old, perhaps it is growing too slowly to be Ellwood's Gold? Could it be Ch. l. 'Tiny Treasure', or 'Treasure Island'? Or?

Jan

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Jan, the Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Treasure Island' was found as a dwarf mutation on a Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Treasure'.

The 'Treasure' is coloured yellow green with a pale cream.
    The 'Treasure Island' should have this same characteristic, only with a more dwarfish growth.
    Your's is showing only a yellow green colour, so that's why I think it's an 'Ellwood's Gold'...

• echolane
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will label it 'Elwood's Gold', and thanks so much for helping me out.
    Jan

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Please label it 'Ellwood's Gold', with a double l... :0)