Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemon1111

Pinus sylvestris WB's from Poland

lemon1111
11 years ago

Hello Gardenweb firnds!
I want to show your some of my this year witches brooms :) All of it is from Pinus sylvestris (Scots Pine). My presentation was two years ago in post "Post your broom 2". From that time I didn't showed anything on this forum. It's time to change this! :)
Ps. Some of Wb's isn't name yet.
Enjoy!
2 in 1?? :)
{{gwi:658920}}

In my opinion 3 years old broom..
{{gwi:658922}}

'ÃÂabÃÂdú' in english 'Swan'
{{gwi:658924}}

'Aga'
{{gwi:658926}}

'Wojak' some of scions, with needles of course, has 20 cm in diameter!
{{gwi:658928}}

Greetings Wiktor

Comments (13)

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

I like the first one -- very tight. I would definitely take scions from both parts of the broom and keep them separated. You may indeed have two different plants there.

congratulations!
    ~Dave

• lemon1111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Dave! Of course I separated them. Bigger has 4,5-6 cm long needles and 4-4,5 cm long new growth. Smaller has 2,5-3,5 cm long needles and 2,5-3,5 cm long new growth. So they are quite different.
    Now I have to be patient and waiting for results:)
    Wiktor

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Wiktor, the one at your first picture is a special one.
    I'm familiar with several other brooms which had two differend growing habits.
    Make sure to keep them separated and name them temporary "one" and "two", or "north" and "south".
    Please, keep us informed and good luck in grafting!

• lemon1111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Coniferjoy!
    I named it 'Pestka' in english 'Stone (from Peach, cherry)'. Smaller is Pestka A, bigger is Pestka B. Of course I will let you know about results but It came real maybe for a mounth - in Poland is still a lot of snow and temperature is below 0C degree :(
    Did you ever see more than 2 mutation on one broom?? Is this possible to found over 2 or 3??
    Best regards
    Wiktor
    Ps. Some bonus
    Pinus sylvestris 'Kiwi'
    {{gwi:658930}}
    {{gwi:658932}}

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Wiktor those are all very nice brooms, indeed!

I recently found a Picea sitchensis broom with 3 different-growing portions: Here are the grafts, showing the variety of growth rates. Most grew about 5cm per year, but some grew up to 10 cm and some as low as 15mm per year!
    {{gwi:658934}}

-Sam

• mirek_l
    11 years ago

I found such a P. abies WB. Or even two. ;-) Growing each part the same...unfortunately :-(

{{gwi:658936}}
    {{gwi:658937}}

This post was edited by mirek_l on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 15:48

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Wiktor, I never came across a broom with more then 2 differend growing rates or growing habits.
    Did you found one?

Your 'Kiwi' is a nice find as well!

• lemon1111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sam: great find!! I hope to 3 different brooms saves his own different habit :) Do you have a photo with all broom?? It would be grateful if you could show it :)
    MirkuL: I saw that picture earlier on some Polish website:) It is really unusual find :) (moüna by po Polskiemu ale to przecieü zagraniczne forum :D)
    Coniferjoy: I think that I found something interesting.... but I don't want to jinx :) Of course It's Pinus sylvestris... In my area found something different it's real hard..
    Kiwi bonus: she has 5 little cones with full seeds :)
    Greetings
    Wiktor

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

"Coniferjoy: I think that I found something interesting"

Well, show it to me, I'm very curious what you got...

• lemon1111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I show it especially for you Coniferjoy :) my interesting found :) From road we could see view like that:...
    {{gwi:658939}}
    of course Pinus sylvestris.... I have no idea how I can name she.... From the ground she looks more curious but I show It later (I think that to describe this wb's I could make a new post because she has very different habits :))

• lemon1111
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is foto ot this WB after cud down. I named it 'Hydra'. When she hanged on the tree we could also saw 3 different new growths. When I cut It down I saw (of course in my opinion) 5 different new growth (only on some part of mutation) and the rest scions from many different part of WB with no group. So It's 6 different group.
    This is photo of all broom from one side:
    {{gwi:658941}}
    from top:
    {{gwi:658943}}
    photo with numbers:
    {{gwi:658946}}
    The number 1 is the smallest one
    {{gwi:658948}}
    the number 2 is the biggest one:
    {{gwi:658951}}
    Number 5 is the fattest one:
    {{gwi:658954}}

Enyoj! :)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Wiktor, thanks for your first photo which you showed especialy for me.
    It looks very odd indeed.

The other photo's are making it even more special, 5 differend habits in one broom is crazy!
    Did you graft them all?

• lemon1111
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello friends, after so long time...
    Coniferjoy: Yes I grafted all of broom It was almost 100 scions.
    Unfortunately one of them - number 3 didn't alive:( so now I have 5 different habits (included number 6).
    There's each one with new growth. Enyoj :)
    Number 1:
    {{gwi:658955}}
    Number 2:
    {{gwi:658957}}
    Number 4:
    {{gwi:658960}}
    Number 5:
    {{gwi:658962}}
    Number 6:
    {{gwi:658964}}
    ps. Thank you for "good luck" - in this year my grafting was very succesfull :)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!