Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kev_o

Pinus Densiflora

Kev-o
11 years ago

I've been searching for a Pinus Densiflora(Japanese Red Pine) plant for sale, and have only found seeds so far. I'm not very confident in growing from seeds yet, and would love to find an actual plant, any size(seedlings, small 1-5 year olds). Not looking for a cultivar, I'm looking for the species.

Can anybody lead me in the right direction? Will I have to attempt growing from seeds? I have already ordered some seeds(as well as some Cryptomeria Japonica, aka Japanese Cedar seeds, as I couldn't find the pure species form of that, either), but would MUCH rather, and love to find a plant.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Can't help with sources, but bear in mind it is susceptible to pine wilt nematode, so may not survive for too long (maybe not more than 20-30 years, the age at which they start to be attractive to the longhorn beetles that spread the disease).

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

why the insistence on species.. as cultivars are a dime a dozen ... [well.. not a dime.. but so common.. that they should not be wildly expensive] ....

and the question might be.. what is the understock used on cultivars.. and if densiflora.. then your search will be at seedling growers who supply the grafting industry ... [but i bet they are not on densiflora .. which would then lead me to wonder.. why not .... probably because its hard to grow them from seed????]

and if none of that leads you anywhere.. your search will be for some fresh pine cones .. of someones cultivar.. presuming they might cone.. somewhat true, from seed ....

ken

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Forestfarm has a couple of cultivars in size 1- unless you just want the challenge from seeds. Interesting about the PWN- 20 to 30 yrs sounds good to me- might as well enjoy it and not worry about it right now- that's my new policy!

• Kev-o
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you fairfield8619, but I didn't see any on forestfarm.com, except for different cultivars.

I already have multiple different cultivars of Pinus Thunbergii, and Pinus Densiflora growing. I don't want any of the "dwarf" cultivars, which make up most of them. I want the fast growing pure species, which I am going to do some large scale bonsai work on. Or at least attempt. :P After visiting some Japanese gardens in Japan, I'm looking to replicate my own version, and thankfully I have the perfect land to experiment on.

Yes, it is particularly difficult to grow Pinus Densiflora from seed.

Also, I'm hoping since I'm in the part of Texas with not many pines at all(N. Dallas), except for some small mixed in cedars, that I won't run into beetle problems. My 4 acres is largely forested with deciduous trees(Oaks). If the problem does arise, I'll be ready to battle. I may take whatever steps to protect them before the beetles could make it to the trees, if possible.

Still looking for a Pinus Densiflora plant, but doesn't seem like I'm going to have much luck... unless someone can help! I DO have two pure species of Pinus Thunbergii growing, which I'm happy about :)

• kbguess
    11 years ago

Kaede bonsai sells seedlings.
    Keith

Here is a link that might be useful: JRP

• Kev-o
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Amazing work! Thanks Keith!