Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jorginho_gw

Seeds and/or pics form Picea omorika X sitchensis

jorginho
13 years ago

Anybody? I wonder how this hybrid behaves, where I can get seeds etc. How does it look?

Omorika over here can even grow on soils with a lot of lime in it and that are really bulky (i.e: heavy clay soil of marine origin). They have little problems with drought. They can resist pollution and seem to be less susceptible to some disseases, unlike Sitka spruce. Although I have found some stands of good looking Sitka spruce on the same soil. But this soil can get waterlogged and never dries out. It is stil pH neutral and also rich in Ca...

Sitka is seasalt tolerant, Omorika not but yet again: I have found Omorika just 150 m form the seashore with just one large dune in between in shrub like woods (so barely protected). It looks just fine...

Anyways: I would like to have some info on the hybrid in the ways of pcitures and most of all: seeds? Anyone?

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (20)

• gardener365
    13 years ago

I know two people with an omorika x breweriana. No sitchensis hybrid though.

Dax

• jorginho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I kow some breweriana here and the place is littered with Omorika (all christmastrees are planted in the garden and sometimes in the parks....)... These are nice on their own. I believe I once saw this mix and didn't like it especially.

Breweriana is my nr1 favourite even though we have some Norway spruces over here with the same pendulate nature (viminalis??).

• pineresin
    13 years ago

I know of one in an arboretum in Denmark; I got a cone from it and it is exactly intermediate between the two species, as was the foliage. It is a vigorous tree. Sorry, no pics, I didn't have a camera back then. The hybrid has also been reported elsewhere, not sure how commonly.

"I know two people with an omorika x breweriana"

Don't think this hybrid combination has ever been verified. Often, it is just young P. breweriana plants that still have juvenile foliage and growth habit - until they are 10-20 years old, their foliage looks very similar to P. omorika foliage.

Resin

• jorginho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Pineresin, er du Dansk? Jeg forstar Dansk for at det er ligesom Nederlandsk. Men jeg er ikke sikker at du forstat mig..Alts� p� Engelsk.

Do you have any seeds of that tree? If it is precisely intermediate I can imagine it is handsome. Denmark is not too far away, where did you see it? Do you think I could obtain some seeds or cones there.

I have seen some hybrids of Breweriana X Omorika. They do not resemble any of those when older (8-10 m high or so).
    It is a strange looking tree not exactly handsome. I was really dissapointed. I have no doubt these were either of the parent trees. Sorry, I have no picutres either...

As we have both species growing here (sitka and Serbian), could I rip of some conebaring branches, put them on very small P abies or sitchensis seedlings, put them together and have them produce hybrid seeds?? I have Lutz spruce seeds and seedlings BTW. It grows reasonably well here, but worse than P sitchensis and comparable to omorika. Too young to say if they are intermediate between Glauca and Sitchensis BTW. Simply look like small Sitchensis.

• pineresin
    13 years ago

Hi Jorginho,

A mix of English, Scottish and Danish, but English is the language I'm best at - I can read Danish fairly well, and write in it less well.

Sorry, no seeds (or if I have, too old to be germinable). The tree is at Hørsholm Arboret, but it is many years since I was last there and saw it, so I can't guarantee it is still there.

Resin

• jorginho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Too bad Danish letters are not displayed here. You mean Horsholm Arboretet? With streifen in the "o"? I will contact them and see of I can get some seeds there. Too bad seeds are so difficult to obtain. If trees are not usable for forestry I find it is difficult to get them.

I learned Danish as it was so similar to Dutch. I never needed any lessons actually and could read it right away.
    But internet further helped me to perfect it. Been in denmakr this december. Dissapointing, it is a copy of the Netherlands from a Dutch point of view. Nothing different other than that the spoken language is much more difficult!! They pronounce the words much different than we do! Haha, but that is nice also....

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"Too bad Danish letters are not displayed here"

The Danish letters æ, ø, and ÃÂ¥ display here OK (if you can't see them in this post, then there's something wrong with your browser!

"You mean Horsholm Arboretet? With streifen in the "o"?"

Yes, that's the place. Good luck with contacting them!

Resin

• jorginho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No. it is wrong in Firefox and in IE8 (or so). So it has little to do with the browser. Meanwhile, I found the arboretum and they have an excel list. They do not list this hybrid....

My other point: if I get twigs or branches with mature cones and put them on a sapling of Picea abies for instance, could I make my own hybrids in that way??

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Hi joginho, grafting a branch from a mature tree that cones will produce offspring that can cone at an early age. I wouldn't say for certain, but I would think once a grafted tree reaches five or six feet tall, it will have cones. That's the best way to proceed (if seeds cannot be obtained) furthermore ....

Dax

• jorginho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dax, thanks for the reply. I didn't know that. To be clear: I want to put a cone bearing branch of Omorika grafted on a P Abies within a few cm of a Sitchensis branch. May be grafted on the same tree to come and think of it! Would this lead to hybrid seeds in the subsequent cones?? Would be nice to do, ain't it?? I know some places close to me where Omorika and sitchensis grow besides one another. I know sitchensis there produces lots of cones. Omorika not too sure...It is solitairy. Could get fertilised by Sitchensis....But omorika is an excellent selffertiliser I have read. And they are 100 m away from onanother...
    Hmmm....well: nice to know that offspring get cones early...

• pineresin
    13 years ago

"No. it is wrong in Firefox and in IE8 (or so)"

Odd! I'm using firefox and they show correctly. What do you see for each of these lines of text below?

àæ, àø, àÃÂ¥, àð, àþ, àñ

All these show correctly for me (names of pines in various languages!):

Sosna gÃÂstokwiatowa, Sosna dÃÂugoigielna

áþÃÂýð þñÃÂúýþòõýýðÃÂ

ÃÂÿùýàÃÂõÃÂúÿ

ÃÂáýáÃÂáï ýøóë

ÃÂÃÂèàÃÂèÃÂéÃÂÃÂÃÂ

õÃÂÃÂèñ íÃÂèÃÂ

áÂÂá¦áÂÂáÂÂá¡áÂÂáÂÂá á á¤áÂÂá­áÂÂáÂÂ

à ¤¸à ¤®à ¥Âà ¤¦à ¥Âà ¤°à ¥ à ¤Âà ¥Âà ¤¡à ¤¼

"To be clear: I want to put a cone bearing branch of Omorika grafted on a P Abies within a few cm of a Sitchensis branch"

Much simpler, and far quicker for results: collect the pollen cones when they just start to open, dry them and shake out the pollen, and dust this over receptive conelets of the other species.

Resin

• jorginho
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okey, thanks. I still see some problems because it is uncontrolled. How and when do I do that? I know of one sitka spruce that hs cones at 4m height. Omorika is no problem to collect. So how do I know the Sitka spruce gets only fertilsed by omorika pollen, when it is surrounded by other sitka spruces (and produces off spring....). Best thing I can do is collect sitka spruce pollen and then put it on omorika conelets I guess. Still: how do I do that?? When? Any details?? Thanks in advance!!!!

• sprucebruce
    11 years ago

Hi jorginh.

Maybe I found what you are looking for: these branches are from left to right:
    P. sitchensis, P sitchensis x P. omorika and P. omorika.
    I'm quite sure about that because all trees grow in a forest next to my property and we have stands of P.omorika in a closer distance to a stand of P.sitchensis. P.sitchensis was cut down a few years ago. But you can find four kinds of seedlings older than a few years in the omorika stands. this is why P. abies is also growing there. But there are no intermediate types with P. abies.

So far,

sprucebruce

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

This is very good info!
    Thanks for your effort to show us this pic!
    It shows us that the needle characteristics of the middle one are in between the two species...

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Sprucebruce, I see now that you're another European newbie as well here at this forum, there's another one from France.
    In which part of Germany do you live and what's your conifer interest?

• sprucebruce
    11 years ago

coniferjoy, I am from Northern Germany. I am interested in all kinds of trees and several shrubs. I found these Picea hybrids and searched the internet for them. So I found this page.

Do you know Picea abies 'Rydal'?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Hi Sprucebruce, ofcoarse I know the the 'Rydal' very well.
    It's one of my favorite conifers in spring time!
    {{gwi:659098}}

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Please do tell...how hardy is Rydal?

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Lady, this one is hardy zone 3.

• jorginho
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hej Sprucebruce. That looks great, but I do not fully understand how this could help me. Do you have seeds? Are there sitkaspruces left there or where they cut down all? Great pic, looks like right in between indeed! It seems that the intermediate trees look exactly like Sitka spruce, but can grow on at least poorer soil (I thought Sitka did pretty well there too btw..). Omorika does not like wetfeet, Sitka does. Sitka does not like drought, Omorika seems to handle it relatively well..I wonder how the intermediate one will do here....

Thx for the pics and hope you canhelp me somehow! Vielen Dank nochmals.