Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Spring additions

outback63 Dennison
11 years ago

Cupressus nootkatensis 'Sparkling Arrow'. Flora Wonder Collection of Buchholz Nursery

Taxodium distichum 'Cave Hill'. Iseli Nursery

Davesconifers

{{gwi:659252}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Flora Wonder Arboretum

Comments (18)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

cool..

what will you do with the box after you take the conifer out???

ken

i still have snow cover.. and when its not there the grass.. and i use the word lightly.. is brown ... are you sure you are z5.. lol ... and whats the brightness in the back of the pic.. i think we are on day 10 of battleship grey days .... and how come you are getting them so early.. why not wait until august.. when they are at bargain prices .. lol .... after standing on the blacktop all summer??? ... its like you want then to succeed ....

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

I like the flagstone patio...it makes a nice backdrop for showing off plants. 'Sparkling Arrow' is a real winner. Don't know much about 'Cave Hill', can you give us a description?

Please update after planting so we can see them in their new homes (and after the bald cypress is leafed out).

Alex

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ken...I am getting them at bargain prices.

The box is a work of art. I'll keep. Probably cost more the the conifer= labor & materials. I'll stain it and sell it to a furniture store.

The brightness in the back ground. Just me and the camera not working together.

All nursery's ordered 2 weeks early this year They were misled thinking we are in Zone 6 because of the last two early springs.

The rest of the weeks forecast 3 winter storms. LOL. I'll keep them in the cool garage till our Zone 5 has run its course in about two weeks.

maple_grove ...Google Taxodium distichum 'Cave Hill'.

11 years ago

i know how you get them.. i was trying to make you grin ..

geez dave.. the brightness is the sun .. not a camera or a dave problem.. i havent seen the sun for weeks.. its depressing ...

they look basically dormant.. but for FREEZE.. why do they need to be in the garage for some snow ??? .. which BTW.. is where i would put them for the storm.. but otherwise would worry about the garage heating up in that sun .... [yeah.. i know.. PNW plants think winter is 50 degrees.. lol] ....

lighten up dude.. i was trying.. apparently unsuccessfully .. to entertain you ... not make you defensive ...

someday i hope to get some new plants .... soon i bet ....

ken

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Wow. That taxodium is way wicked. Google confirms that.

Sparkling Arrow is dynamite. I'd like to trade my 8" specimen for your 3-4', however.

Dax

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Ken

I didn't think I was being defensive. I think your thinking has to do with "i havent seen the sun for weeks.. its depressing "... I am a pretty happy dude right now.

I don't have time to get them in the ground before the next snow which it's doing now...so

Dax 'Sparkling Arrow' close to 2 ft.

Davesconifers

A better photo.

{{gwi:659254}}

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That's gorgeous man.

Dax

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Both nice plants, Dave. And what a box that nootka came in. Looks like the strongbox on a stagecoach.

tj

• sluice
    11 years ago

Nice nootka!

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Dave,

That is gorgeous. I love variegated foliage. I see that it is listed as:
    Hardy to -40 degrees. USDA zone 3

hmmm...me thinks I need this one.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Nice premium selections. Cave Hill is nice and squaty. I think they look lame on standards.

A #1 and #4 seed for the Kansas crew...not too shabby plus both are playing in KS.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Nice Dave!

Sara

11 years ago

lotus ...

z4 on the SArrow ....

the green plant might be z4.. but i wouldnt be surprised of the white burns off in winter.. only to flush back in spring ...

ken

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken, I am willing to try it. It is beautiful. I will let you know if it burns. Perhaps I can add to the east or north side of the house.

• keefesn1
    11 years ago

Dave do you know where your sparkling arrow originated? I am desperately trying to find one in my area.

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

Sparkling Arrow was found by Talon Buchholz (Buchholz and Buchholz). You would have to get your local nursery to order one from them or you can mail order a small one from a retail mail order source. Broken Arrow Nursery has one year grafts available at the link below. =^)

Here is a link that might be useful: Brokenarrownursery.com - Sparkling Arrow

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

keefesn1

I ordered mine last October from my local nursery.

Talon is a little different and I think he chooses who gets one and who doesn't. There is a pecking order. First I couldn't get one then 3 months later I could.

I will say his offerings are choice with an extensive amount of rare material to choose from.

Davesconifers

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Gossler farms has 1 gallon plants for a good price.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz