Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james730115

What is the name of this conifer?

james730115
11 years ago

Hi,

I wonder if anyone could tell me what type of conifer is this?

Thanks.

Comments (10)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

It looks like a Platycladus orientalis to me...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

joy is probably right..

but a pic of the whole.. and if possible.. of a cone.. would confirm his suggestions .. not to mention.. where it is ....

ken

• james730115
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you @coniferjoy.

My kid was helping to kill a large patch of ivy on our hedge but accidentally spray the RoundUp solution on top of this conifer! It's mainly the top part as shown in the photo which received the spray. The tree is 5 feet tall ~ 4 years old.

I just want to find out if it is resistant to Roundup. I'm thinking of water the whole thing but am not sure whether that would harm it more?

Thank you again for your help!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Not resistant. When accidentally sprayed, you immediately need to hose off the sprayed portions of the plant with heavy doses of water.

Dax

• james730115
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you @gardener365

I took your advice and used lot of water to clean it... But it's like 24 hours after it happened. Would it be too late to prevent permanent damage, i.e. the RoundUp solution has been absorbed completely by the tree? Can I just lop off the affected part (the top part) to save the rest?

Thanks again!

• james730115
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,

My son accidentally sprayed RoundUp solution at the top of a 5 feet conifer while trying to kill the ivy on the hedge.

One of the helpful members advised to use lot of water to clean it... But it's like 24 hours after it happened. Would it be too late to prevent permanent damage, i.e. the RoundUp solution has been absorbed completely by the tree? Can I just lop off the affected part (the top part) to save the rest?

Thanks again!

• pineresin
    11 years ago

Ditto to Platycladus orientalis

Resin

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

what i said in your other post ...

now for something completely different ...

first.. read your RU label.. or find it online ...

for vine and stump killing.. if i am not mistaken.. 100% use.. [which is 41%] is suggested.. and proper... if you are using pre-diluted stuff.. you are already losing the battle .... and spraying is NOT the preferred method ... IMHO ...

you would use a very expensive applicator such as at the link ...

but with your little devil i would worry about him walking around the yard with a hotdog.. and think what the heck [BTW.. i am a stay at home dad.. so dont take offense.. lived thru this type of thing ... now they are near teens and wont spend time in the yard with me] ... anyway ...

pull as much ivy up as you can.. snip ends that wont come out.. and put one single drip on the cut ... working your way.. methodically thru the beds ...

and come back in 4 to 6 weeks.. and snip and drip again.. until it gets the idea that you want it dead ...

took me 3 years to kill poison ivy.. which had a 2 inch underground runner ... wild grape is the same.. i swear they have a way to compartmentalize the killer.. and will sprout back up.. 6 inches back.. but sooner or later.. i took care of it.. and then waited 2 years.. to insure the poison in the root wasted away ... try to never let the sprouts get too big.. or they will re-energize the plant.. basically you are trying to starve it thru removing the leaves that create food ....

anyway.. since you are not diluting it.. and for sonny boys safety .. return unused portion to the properly labeled container.. and wash out the applicator completely.. and hide it all from the devil ... [of course he could be 20 something.. lol ...]

doing it this way.. removes all possibility of drift issues ... and in your case.. sonny boys issues ....

killing vine.. takes tenacity .... good luck

ken

PS: have you ever ID'd the vine ???? .. might make a difference ...

Here is a link that might be useful: brand is unimportant.. its the restricted flow ...

• james730115
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks @pineresin for the id!

Thanks @ken for your advice. It was a big patch of ivy which has taken over a large area and I thought spraying would be more efficient... But I might try your method if the last RU spray didn't work.

• coxarb
    11 years ago

yes, this is definitely Platycladus orientalis