Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Rare broom hunting (4)

coniferjoy
11 years ago

We didn't only find seedling selections and mutations of Abies grandis, we also found some of Picea sitchensis.

Picea sitchensis 'Ceres'
This is a dwarf seeling selection with a yearly growing rate of 5 cm. (2 inches) {{gwi:660030}}

{{gwi:660032}}

Picea sitchensis 'Filip's Golden Glory'
Found as a 5 year old seedling selection with yellow needles.
After taking this pic for colour comparison, I cut away some of it's neighbour's branches so it have more room for doing it's outgrow.
{{gwi:660034}}

{{gwi:660036}}

Picea sitchensis 'White Water'
Found as a fairly young tree with variegated branches.
{{gwi:660038}}

{{gwi:660040}}

Picea sitchensis 'Filip's Golden Lights'
A 7 year old lime coloured seedling selection which was found under a fallen tree.
I had to remove the branches which were standing in it's way to give it a healtier place to grow.
I'm very curious how it's colour will be in full daylight...
{{gwi:660042}}

{{gwi:660044}}

{{gwi:660047}}

Comments (12)

• liopleurodon
    11 years ago

Great finds!

I like the yellow colour of 'Filip's Golden Lights'.

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Edwin, are you and I the only ones introducing new cultivars of Picea sitchensis?

You certainly have done your part! Congratulations on the spectacular new finds.

The creamy variegated one is my favorite..

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Liop and Sam!

Sam, I guess it will be the tree of us (Erik included) who are introducing new cultivars of Picea sitchensis.

As you'll know, the whole project is fun, the spotting part, the collecting part, the propagating part, the naming part and to bring it into the trade.

I also found a short needle one, a real blue one and a weeping one of this species.
    Unfortunately I had no photo camera with me at the moment when I had found them.

I hope the yellow one's will bring me an improved 'Bentham's Sunlight', one as beautiful which will not burn in full sun...

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That same weekend we also found some other nice specimens of this species with shapes I never saw in the trade before:

Picea sitchensis 'Erik's Pillar'
    A very narrow form with all it's branches growing upwards.
    {{gwi:660048}}

Picea sitchensis 'Filip's Silver Falls'
    This is a very pretty weeping form with a beautiful silver needle colour, unfortunately this isn't visuable at this photo.
    {{gwi:660051}}

Picea sitchensis 'Foxy Lady'
    A dense form with a foxtail needle setting.
    {{gwi:660054}}

• liopleurodon
    11 years ago

Again great finds!

The foxtail needles of Picea sitchensis 'Foxy Lady' show its bicoloured needles very well.
    I'm a big fan of those narrow and dense spruces, they still have a beautiful "christmas tree" form, while not getting too wide (and thus being suitable for smaller locations).

• dietzjm
    11 years ago

All are awesome finds, Edwin! Congrats to you and Erik. These specimens make me wish I could grow sitchensis reliably.

Matt

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Nice plants Edwin.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Liop, Matt and Dax!

Liop, you're right, the 'Erik's Pillar' and the 'Foxy Lady' will be very nice future conifers for the smaller garden.

Matt, is your climate to cold for having the bigger cultivars of this species?
    Will the dwarf cultivars survive your winter better because they're covered with snow then?

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Really nice. Picea sitchensis 'Foxy Lady' is my favorite, though 'White Water' is nice, too. What is the hardiness like for this species?

• gardener365
    11 years ago

That 'Foxy Lady' is driving me crazy! ;) If someone married the Eiffel Tower...... I choose her.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jon, the preferred hardiness zones for the Alaska State Tree are 6-8.
    {{gwi:641018}}
    Here in The Netherlands we've zone 7, which is just in the middle and that's why it is feeling happy here in our forest.
    We hope to find some other nice one's of this species in the near future...

Dax, you're right, the 'Foxy Lady' is a very atractive conifer which would wrap you around her fingers if she had the chance.
    I do not know if marrying her is a good idea, she has a prickly mood occasionaly... ;0)

• unprofessional
    11 years ago

Arrrgh...it's tough to figure out coastal stuff, because winter temps can line up but the summer conditions are wildly different.