Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

storm damge.. replace or go with a fresh idea

i have some conifers.. thuja mostly .... badly damaged either due to winter weather.. or this year.. from last years drought ... i guess my gut said replace ..... and i was already shopping out .... simple replacements ... whats that all about ... ??

as a collector.. on some level.. it might be about removing a 'name' from the 'collection' ....

then i thought.. go 'new' ... hmmm ... [5 acres really makes it different than in suburbia.. where space constraints would make removal a necessity .. and therein lies the gist of my problem.. I THINK]

a conundrum for sure ...

who says the status quo is the best.. why not go new ...

what do you think???

i also have a few that are really starting to bug me .... iseli fastigate.. at 12 years old.. has opened repeatedly [winter snow/ice issues] .. maybe that should go .. kinda getting mad at this one.. which usually means its life is limited ... [on the other hand.. these types of hard labor.. never seem to make it to the top of the 'i have to do this today' list ....]

P kor. ... though a glorious pine in terms of needle presentation.. is really becoming a thug in its spot.. never really impressive in terms of OD ... [thats an understatement] ... and even on 5 acres.. really starting to take up too much space [one might read that as improper sighting.. lol .. who knew.. back them.. how big these things get... thats not what the size estimate said.. lol...] ...

and then there are the two that never properly yellowed for me.. pungens stanley gold.. and strobus [?] arctic yellow ... why are they allowed space [no one has even seemed to answer whether the color is a PNW thing .... or lack thereof ... a MI thing ....] ...

the easy decision is the 6 emerald greens that died due to drought.. how many smargard does one guy need.. who knew when i moved here ... 13 years ago.. there was more than one arb ... lol ... those will hit this springs bonfire ....

and there are all the ones with sever freeze damage.. after sprouting 6 weeks early last march with that bizarre heat wave .... these will mostly be pruned to heck and back.. to see how they recover ....

oh how the spring 'to do' list grows.. and what eventually actually happens .. never seem to be equivalent ... lol .. most will probably be on next springs list.. lol ...

whats says you??? .. how do actually set your mind.. to killing one of your treasured collection pieces ????

please.. wax poetic on how you 'get over' removal.. and what your plans are for such this spring.. if any ....

ken

Comments (9)

• texjagman
    11 years ago

If I were you I would never cut one down do to size because I thought out on that acreage of yours you wanted to grow a forest. So now that it is begining to turn into one, why would you ever cut down a tree because it is getting too large unless it is endangering something else.

As fo Arbs, I can't speak for them because I have never been a fan. Even though that is one of the things that can acutally grow well here in our Oklahoma heat, I just don't like how they look for the most part. I'm definately more of a spruce / deodora kind of guy.

And speaking of spruce trees, I'd love to have your Stanley's Gold to see how it would do here. So if it was decent sized, and you'd be willing to wait to dig it this fall rather than cut it down, and would pack it to ship, I'd definately pay you for the trouble. Some of these species can only be bought in such small sizes that at my age I'll never see them turn into trees. So being able to pick something unusual up in a decent size is a great opportunity for me. Like Dave has mentioned a few times about his garden, I tend to like the gold flushing and accented trees.

But your last question about feelings for removing a treasure from the garden, I have no problem getting rid of almost anything if it benefits the greater good. A garden ( or pinetum ) is to be enjoyed. If you think it will make it look better to remove it then it will be worth it. Otherwise, once your minds eye sees it, you will have the "what if" thoughts every time you look at it.

mark

• j0nd03
    11 years ago

How I usually "get over" removal of plants that disappoint me- call the dead/dying/uneeded plant every cuss word I can think of then insult its heritage and describe in detail the inferior genetics bestowed up on the poor specimen while dragging it to the burn pile.

The important thing is to make it about the plant, not the gardener or mother nature. Like the two 'Mt Airy''s I killed last year when I planted them in a high spot and didn't water them religiously in the drought. I planted them in the fall and gave them plenty of time to root in. It's their own damn fault for not putting out roots more aggressively! (When I get some more, I will site them in a wetter spot, still the blame is on THEM!) After all, I had a 'Blue Shadow' that excelled in part shade, was a much smaller plant and planted in the spring in very compacted soil near the house. So I know the species is capable of doing well. The 'Mt Airy's were just inferior plants! ;)

If I actually liked the plant, I'll chop it up into small pieces and use it as mulch for the replacement plant. (The 'Mt Airy's got this treatment and I'm still hoping they sprout from the roots this spring) Kind of like cremation and spreading ashes kind of thing. This does not happen very often... I think I've done it twice...

Now... finding a new pretty replacement is never very hard and something I am always on the look out for. It is not all that uncommon to give a plant a premature departure from the garden just so I can try something else in that spot. This usually includes moving the original somewhere else, but sometimes, it ends up cooking on the driveway before being tossed in the burn pile. I suppose this is torture on some level but still legal AFAIK...

John

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hey jag ...

YOU [not me.. lol] .. are welcome to drive up here.. and dig that 10 foot stanley gold.. bare root it.. since the sand falls off anyway.. and drive it home.. i would take pride in giving it away ...

perhaps you missed my parenthetical on IMPROPER SITING ... if i only knew then.. what i know now.. i would have given the P kor about 30 more feet in every direction.. instead of placing it in a 30 by 40 foot bed ....

wow jon:
    insult its heritage and describe in detail the inferior genetics bestowed up on the poor specimen while dragging it to the burn pile.

===>> thats a very good description for what i sum up as:

GETTING A HATE ON FOR IT ... lol ...

anyone else?

ken

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Pinus rigida 'Winter Time' to replace one of your golds? I sent a graft to you, if it's still alive......?

Iseli Fastigiate - it's gone. Forget and be done with it. Let uncle Dax send you something better. Clear the space and after I graft next year, I'll send something else.

Too bad about Pinus koraiensis. Such a beauty of a pine whether OD or not. You gotta do what you gotta do.

Dax

Original Author
    11 years ago

funny you should mention the kor.. now that you did.. i recall.. i was so unimpressed by the markings on the first ..... i bought a second 10 dollar replacement ... of which i have never seen a marking.. whats that all about.. lol ..

and planted it 50 feet from everything .. lol ...

soooo .. i wont be w/o a kor .... [not to mention another one with poor markings .... Jack Korbit ...

i hope you all know.. i am looking for excuses to avoid the heavy labor.. lol ...

i dont know about the winter time's survival ..... i will have to go look and see ...

i agree on the pungens ...

ken

Original Author
    11 years ago

EDIT: the winter time looks great.. with the caveat of a hard freeze this spring ... THX DAX!!!!

• texjagman
    11 years ago

So just how far away from me are you Ken.......I'm north Ok City.

mark

Original Author
    11 years ago

i am in adrian MI ....

head toward chicago .... turn right.. and head toward toledo.. and turn left a bit ... lol .. half way between toledo and ann arbor ...

ken

• thetman
    11 years ago

well Ken I am kinda in the same boat-lost alot this winter due to some really bad storms. mostly juniper (12-15ft sky rockets-either broke in half or just uprooted) some blue point and all of my moon glows. Also some green giants that were not single leaders snapped in half. I would say 20 or more will need replacing or just removed and don't do anything. I am also looking for some new blood-but are unsure of what to get. Whatever it is they must be storm ready. I'll be curious as to what you decide upon. I do know I am bummed out over this, they all looked great beforehand- and the cost & time and effort to replace them is something I am not looking forward too.