Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Anybody growing this?

outback63 Dennison
10 years ago

I would like to see a photo or two if you are.

Dave

Pinus strobus 'Louie'

{{gwi:660534}}

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

yes...

i have been known to complain about it endlessly for it not coloring like that ...

one of my first ... from a one gallon i presume ... in 2002 ... its now at least 15 feet tall.. if not more .. and 8 to 10 wide ...

dave.. it has way too much potential for your space ... it will grow like any other green species strobus .. the yellow not holding back its growth rate ...

last known pic below from 2012 .. feb 5th .... i am sure.. in your infinite wisdom .. you can see its prior years growth rate ...

i do have a new babe.. that colored well early this winter.. before it was totally buried in snow... it is surfacing now... but i am waiting for a rabbit to come along.. and ruin my day ... still working at about 50% snow cover in my yard .. in all the right places.. to make me not want to go trudging around ... besides the 12 degrees last night.. etc... whine.. bi-otch..moan ...

ken
    {{gwi:660536}}

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Ken. Just a thought and something I don't want to candle prune the rest of my life as the Iseli tag says is an option to keep size down.

Beautiful in it own right and I would presume the right color for winter if grown in the NW.

Oh...by the way... snow here yesterday and the day before. Everything about 3 weeks behind and nothing showing any signs of breaking bud. Thunderstorms today...go figure.

Dave

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Here just south of Ken... my Louie is bright yellow during winter at about 3' tall. During summer the color is more of a lime green with yellow tips. It's the only yellow conifer I have that doesn't burn during winter

But 'Louie' is a monster... mine put on about 1.5' of growth last year. I'm moving mine this spring to a location that's more suitable for it's size.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Ken, if you got your's from Girard's you probably don't have the right plant.

You are the only one that claims to have a Louie that doesn't color up properly.

I had one for a couple years but got rid of as I didn't like the color...it looked more sickly than anything in my eyes.

10 years ago

nope.... not girards ...

it did yellow up as a toddler ... not brilliant color or anything... but exciting enough ..... i cant really find a picture of a larger one.. that isnt sheared to within an inch of its life.. nor bigger than mine ...

COULD IT BE A MATURITY THING???

dave.. look at your own pic.. looks like one foot of growth on its leader ..

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ricksample
    10 years ago

It could be a maturity thing... but yours also doesn't have the lime green color during the summer. It looks like it's a much darker green, but it could just be the picture. This is the largest 'Louie' picture I could find... mine is this exact color during summer. Mostly lime green with yellow tips. During winter the green goes away and it only shows yellow.

{{gwi:660538}}

• ksc36
    10 years ago

Are you sure that's Louie? It looks more like Pinus Dens, Golden Ghost.

• clement_2006
    10 years ago

Yes, It's a pinus strobus "Louie"
    Clement

• illinois_john
    9 years ago

Here's mine blowing in the wind this morning - just North of O'Hare.

Bought as a 1 gallon from Rich Eyre 3-4 years ago. Coloration has been mediocre at best, but it seemed to improve a bit this winter. Maybe it is a maturity thing?

9 years ago

yeah rick

mine has a more formal strobus shape.. your pic looks more densiflora .. more open ...???

ken

• whaas_5a
    9 years ago

Ken, get over it you have a straight Pinus strobus seedling, lol.

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living