Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mckenna_gw

Semi-shaded garden

mckenna
17 years ago

Does anybody have pics of semi-shaded conifer gardens, or at least gardens with a lot of conifers? I think I have many of the plants figured out with a variety of Tsuga, and some Taxus, and some Picea gluaca, and others depending on the exact amount of sun, along with several japanese maples, but I haven't seen too many pictures of gardens featuring these plants. Just curious if anybody has images to share or combinations they like.

Thanks

Willis

Comments (4)

• conifers
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pinus strobus 'Trautmann' here is up against the west side of my garage but is an underplanting behind a dwarf elm and above a pergola. I'd think many of the Pinus strobus could be added.

Also in our Illinois climate and while not a good choice overall, Pinus nigra cultivars I plant in morning sun or dappled light when possible. During summer when heat and humidity here is very intense, I've personally decided that growing these cultivars would be best when placed this way. One plant here has been thriving with no needle loss and great coloration and has been here since 2001. It is under a 30 foot Acer rubrum (40 foot) facing due East so it receives morning sun and some but not much dappled light from then after.

I'd certainly add:
    Picea abies 'Vermont Gold'
    Picea orientalis 'Skylands'
    Any Picea glauca var. albertiana cultivar.
    Abies nordmanniana 'Golden Spreader'

Other shrubs to consider:
    Daphne x burkwoodii
    Ilex varities
    Enkianthus cam.
    Rhododendron/Azalea
    Symphoricarpos varieties
    Buxus varieties
    Hydrangea varieties

Other Perennials, Annuals, or Bulbs:
    Aconitum ("Monkshood")
    Ajuga ("Carpet Bugle")
    Alchemilla ("Ladys Mantle")
    Anemone ("Windflower")
    Aquilegia ("Columbine")
    Astilbe ("False Spirea")
    Begonia annual
    Campanula ("Bellflower") some take shade.
    Coleus varieites (annual)
    Convallaria majalis ("Lily of The Valley) Â personally I hate this plant because it multiplies too fast.
    Dicentra ("Bleeding Heart")
    Digitalis ("Foxglove")
    Ferns (any)
    Geranium ("Cranesbill") best color perennial you can get! Heuchera ("Coral Bells")
    Hosta .
    Impatiens (annual)
    Iris
    Lamium maculatum
    Lilium (Lily)
    Lysmachia ("MoneywortÂ)
    Myosotis ("Forget Me Not")
    Tradescantia ("Spiderwort")
    Viola (annual and perennial)

Here's an afternoon (2-3 hours) full sun area. I believe (5) hours qualifies for Full Sun.

Acer palmatum 'Seiryu'
    Rhodies 'PJM' 'Spring Dawn'
    "azalea" 'Golden Lights'
    Hosta
    {{gwi:660553}}

From Bicklhaupt in a shade section:
    Picea glauca 'Gnome'
    {{gwi:660556}}

Picea glauca 'Rainbow's End'
    {{gwi:660558}}

Picea glauca 'Sander's Blue'
    {{gwi:660560}}

Same Area: Picea orientalis 'Skylands' not as golden as in full sun or looks duller in more shade.
    Pinus strobus 'Contorta' in a lot of shade:
    {{gwi:660562}}

Tsuga canadensis 'Silver Bridge' (a personal favorite)
    {{gwi:660564}}

Tsuga canadensis'Jervis'
    {{gwi:660566}}

I might be inclined to try all those Picea pungens cultivars with the yellow spring flush/white. Picea pungens 'Spring Yellow' has been recommended to me as a real good one...

This plant does well. I've seen one planted in mostly partial sun and it's a 20year plant.
    Thuja occidentalis 'Gold Drop'
    {{gwi:660567}}

Try Platycladus orientalis (wrongly listed as Thuja orientalis) and Thuja occidentalis as well. Same for Thujopsis dolobrata.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Snow' and 'White Beauty' are good to go. Microbiota decussata I once read will do fine in up to FULL SHADE. That was the only reference in any book I've ever read this. It's definitley good to go with not much light though.

Dax

• mckenna
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Dax. I'll certainly give that Pinus nigra thing a try. Anything to add more pines to the area. I have a Blue Shag I was going to use and thought about a cembra cultivar also. I also already have a Chamaecyparis Obtusa Nana Lutea that I will keep in this area. It isn't as yellow as it could be in more sun(still kinda a nice yellow/lime green), but I figured in a more open spot away from my foundation it would be a goner.

I was already planning on the Skylands and albertiana cultivars along with the Tsugas and whatever Taxus cultivars float my boat. I am also going to try a Picea glauca 'Pendula' by the house where there currently is an overgrown Arborvitae that has remained pretty full, so hopefully the Picea would work.

Now a pic with them all together along with Japanese Maples and Rhodies and maybe miscanthus and a winding gravel path surrounded by pine bark mulch and some landscape lighting by Nightscapes (I like their Micheleliter model).

Willis

• conifers
    17 years ago

Yep, I thought Chamaecyparis obtusa as well. They'll do very good. And your Picea glauca 'Pendula' should be just fine.

Take care,

Dax

• nemoooo
    17 years ago

Dax, Love that Contorta! Will that grow very large? That acer is awesome too!