Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for Green Arizona Cypress

Posted by scotjute z8a Tx (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 7, 12 at 10:31

This is probably mission impossible, but just curious if anyone knows of an Arizona Cypress cultivar/variety that actually has green foliage?

Wife is looking for Leyland Cypress replacements with similar color (green slightly on dark side). I currently have wild Arizona Cypress (glabra), Carolina Sapphire, Blue Ice, and wild Arizona Cypress (arizonica) growing, so am familiar with their color. Of this bunch, arizonica currently has the closest to green color in foliage, all the others have different shades of blue-gray-green foliage.

Also have wild Italian Cypress 3 yo seedling growing. It is still blue-green but expect it to morph to match parent's foliage (dark green) as it ages. Due to reports of Arizona Cypress's better disease resistance would prefer to use them over Italian if there is one that matches the color desired. Thanks.

PS Due to our alkaline soil, heat, drought, humidity, etc. am restricting the search to cypress. Wife dislikes Eastern Red Cedar; and Atlas & Deodora Cedars do not grow well here in blackland clay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for Green Arizona Cypress

I'd say Thuja occ. 'Wintergreen'.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Evergreen Nursery

o

I found seedlings. 40$ minimum.

Dax

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Oregon: The Nursery on Wagner Creek

o

Thanks Dax. I will look further into those.

In case anyone is looking for the same thing, there is also an Arizona Cypress cultivar called 'Clemson Greenspire' that was developed by Clemson U. at same time as 'Carolina Sapphire'. Its color is described as 'green grass'.
Still looking for a source for it.
Here is a link w/picture : http://www.state.sc.us/forest/refmature.htm#clem

Here is a link that might be useful: Clemson Greenspire

o

All the Cupressus glabra and C. arizonica I've seen have been at least grey-green, to bright blue-green; none dark green.

I'd suspect your best bet would be Mexican Cypress C. lusitanica - that is dark green (about the same colour as Leyland Cypress), and should be hardy with you (small risk of frost damage in a severe winter). Other green cypresses (Monterey Cypress, Mendocino Cypress, etc.) wouldn't be able to cope with Texas heat well.

Resin

o
RE: Mexican Cypress

Mexican Cypress pic

Resin

o

Wow, the Lucitanica Cypress is really green. Will look into it further for drought resistance and Zone hardiness.
Resin, have you seen any of the Clemson Greenspire cultivars? They looked fairly green in the pictures, but like you, the color in everthing I've seen in Arizona Cypress tends either to blue-green or gray-green and pictures don't always transmit the exact color.

o

Scotjute, did you ever find a green cypress?

o

sluice,
Clemson Greenspire was the only Arizona Cypress cultivar I found. Will order a tray of them this fall when they go on sale. One of my C. arizonica seedlings is fairly green, but will remain unsure of final shade of color until tree matures.
The Mexican Cypress mentioned by Resin is Z7 rated and may be another viable choice.
Right now, I will await the Clemson Greenspire and see what they are like in person.

o

Scotjute, here is a color comparison of my three Cupressus arizonica trees.
'Blue pyramid' on the left, an unnamed green seedling in the middle, and a '#5' on the right.
I don't have enough experience with this plant to know how much the color will change going from juvenile to adult foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here