Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

Rare broom hunting (3)

coniferjoy
11 years ago

Biside rare witches' brooms, Erik also found some rare seedling selections and a branch mutation:

Abies grandis 'Green Cascade'
This is a weeping form with a wider growing habit.
{{gwi:662212}}

Abies grandis 'Green Fountain'
This is also a weeper with a very narrow growing habit.
{{gwi:662213}}

'Green Fountain' and 'Green Cascade' side by side.
{{gwi:662214}}

Abies grandis 'Ivory Patches'
Found as a branch mutation in a young seedling tree.
{{gwi:662215}}

Abies grandis 'Mr. Twister'
This tree does have twisted branches and was found in the same area as the two weeping forms.
{{gwi:662216}}

Comments (12)

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Those are awesome!!!
    Fantastic finds that make me somewhat envious..
    Congratulations, my Dutch broom-hunting friends. :-)

-Sam

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I see some good stuff there Edwin.

Let Erik know he is hired!

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Sam and Dax!

May be the following info is news for the most of you, but this is one of the ways how new conifers will be availlable for you collectors.
    By spotting them first in the forests, later on the scion harvest will take place.
    Then they will get propagated, mostly by grafting.
    After this, the plants have to be watched for several years if they're simular in growth to the mother plant.
    If all is ok, these grafted specimens will function as motherplants for propagation in larger numbers, and 6 till 7 years later the first new plants are ready for the market.
    All together there's a long way to go before these will get availlable for you, but at the end all is worth the effort...

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

I'm wondering how did you see the little yellow mutation in that tree...
    Sorry but I have to ask you here, my mails were unanswered... Edwin, are you still intrested in larix s. Tharandt? I collected some scion today...

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey Zsolt, Erik spotted the variegated branch when he was searching between the Abies grandis seedlings which were growing under giant trees of this species.

Yesterday I answered your email, I guess it was done to your old email address, which maybe end up in your spam box...

It's always a surprise what you'll find between these seedlings.
    We're still searching for a narrow fastigiate and a flat growing one.
    Also a year round yellow one would be welcome ;0)

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Somethimes you find what you're wishing for...
    Last weekend Erik spotted one as a yellow branchmutation in a species tree.

Abies grandis 'Lemon Shine'
    {{gwi:662217}}

{{gwi:662219}}

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last January Don Howse told me that the Abies balsamea 'Eugene Gold' was found in the same way as the 'Lime Shine'.
    The 'Eugene Gold' was also found as a yellow branch mutation, only this time it was found at a Christmas tree plantation.
    Thanks Don for this info!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Congrats!

Dax

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Very nice!
    If you have in mind what you're looking for, have a keen eye for detail, and you know where the right species of trees are located, it usually isn't too difficult to find what you're searching for.
    Clearly, you and Erik both have outstanding perceptiveness! Congratulations, and I look forward to seeing this new find grafted. It looks like there's enough scions for both you and Erik to have a few.

I do have one question: 'Lemon Shine' or 'Lime Shine'?
    The two posts have different names.
    Perhaps 'Lemon-Lime Shine' would be a nice compromise. ;-)

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sam, it's 'Lemon Shine'...

Erik and I have divided the tasks, he's doing the spotting part, together we will harvest all and I 'll take care about the propagating and nursery things...

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Edwin, it's interesting that both of those weeping seedlings are right next to each other...
    Is it possible that their drooping branches are only a result of the shade from that large angiosperm..?
    I've seen similar forms here, but they only exist in the understory of large Acer macrophyllum trees..

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sam, this isn't the cause of their weeping habbits.
    This whole area is full of Abies grandis seedlings of this size and they all have the "normal" growth, like the one at the 3th pic on the left side.
    These 2 are real weepers....