Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Any plants rolling in?

whaas_5a
10 years ago

Last year was a year of maintaining and planning. Then a new born rolled in late summer so fall and winter were quite busy!

This year many more plants getting a home. Typically I like to get my west coast conifers while they are still dormant out there.

More to come!

A couple from Bob Fincham

Picea abies 'Norrkoping'
{{gwi:371214}}

Picea orientalis 'Aurea'
Surprising this beauty is rare. After seeing Edwin's plant I had to have one. Luckily Bob had some this year.
{{gwi:662303}}

A few of my favorites from Stanley. How can you go wrong with some $6 plants? Gotta order 15 though!lol

Pinus parviflora 'Kokuho'
{{gwi:662305}}

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Iceberg'
{{gwi:662307}}

Thuja occidentalis 'Amber Glow'
{{gwi:371216}}

Pinus mugo 'Winter Sonne'
{{gwi:662310}}

Platycladus orientalis 'Morgan'
{{gwi:662312}}

Pinus mugo 'Amber Gold'
{{gwi:662314}}

Comments (7)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

as usual.. jealous as hell ... lol ..

but i thought you announced you were done full up ... and not going to be getting anymore .... been there.. done that... lol ..

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'd be fooling myself if I was ever done!

Things tend to shift, die and not meet expectations. Keeps me in the game.

• maple_grove_gw
    10 years ago

Very nice looking new additions there, Will. I especially like 'Norrköping'. I got one of these from Bob last year and it looks very much like yours. FYI, I've been told the following:

"Picea abies 'Norrkoping', must be written as 'Norrköping' or 'Norrkoeping'.
    It was found in Norrköping, which is situated in Sweden."

It's always nice to see new selections rolling in, thanks for posting these. My spring plant orders are scheduled to arrive late March/early April. I'm always afraid that if I request shipment earlier than that, they risk getting stalled in the back of a truck somewhere, snowed in at zero degrees.

I am intrigued with your description of P. orientalis 'Aurea'. By any chance, do you have a link to the photo that caught your attention?

Alex

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey Alex,

Thanks for the info on the Picea abies. Did a copy paste into my listing.

I typically watch the route in which the plants will arrive. I feel that if the plants are dormant and freeze not a big deal. Genetically they can handle it...though potentially stressed. But haven't really had issues with doing so.

I picked up some Microbiota Prides that the seller then shipped the next day against my request and they sat out in -10 and -14, likely from a greenhouse. They are quite hardy so we'll see what happens.

The post about the 'Aurea' is at the link

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Aurea'

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

well i got a good chuckle back when.. when you declared you were done.. lol ...

its never done.. its your drug.. and rather harmless.. personally ...

there is always the damage to the checkbook ... the marriage.. etc ... lol...

besides.. you have to get the crumb crunchers out in the yard.. so you may as well have something to do.. while you take them out there ... i used to have to dig a hole for daughter to sit and play in ...... then go dig a second hole .. then she would come sit in that hole.. so i would go dig the third .... by which time... i could plant the first .... and then.. eventually ... i would put her to nap.. [in the shaded, netted grayco playpen right there in the yard] ....so i could finish the last hole ... i actually had a hot water spigot put on the wall.. so i could hose her down after a good day in the garden with daddy ... and then the wading pool filled with bubble bath.. and filled with a hose.. man talk about a mound of bubbles ... lol ... now she is a teenager .. wouldnt come out to spend time with daddy .. if her life depended on it.. mostly for lack of turning off the technology ... BUT I DIGRESS ...

thanks for the posts... now get back to it ....

ken

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Those little critters sure are entertaining. We bought my daughter a gardening set and she did well with spreading mulch but when planting she would be up in my grill dumping soil back into the hole I just dug, lol. I wouldn't have it any other way though.

I would have sworn I was done but things change as you know. I've actually sold alot of stuff. Last year I dug up a 1.5" caliper Coralburst Crabapple and two red maples. Put them up on craigslist. The women saved a few bucks and I recouped my money to put towards something more interesting. This year I'm digging up a few Picea pungens. Saved all my containers so I'm running an on and off nursery to a point. I get paid and my local peeps get affordable cultivars they wouldn't typically see at the local home depot. Its a beautiful thing.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Looks great Will - I particularly like the Mugo pines you just bought. I should have a lot rolling in next week.

It'll be interesting to see what my daughter does come planting time... she's 1 and a half. She can only say mama, dada, baba and bird. I took her out this past weekend. As birds were flying overhead she was pointing to the sky, running with the birds, yelling "bird". Back and forth back and forth, our neighbors probably thought she was crazy lol.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area