Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maple_grove_cr

Basement grafting setup

maple_grove_gw
12 years ago

Here are some photos of my humidity chamber in my basement under HID. It's essentially a 4' x 4' cube constructed of PVC and poly.

{{gwi:662414}}

{{gwi:662416}}

{{gwi:662418}}

Shallow 42" tubs contain runoff from watering and also function as a source of humidity. It's spiked with some Physan to prevent growth of undesirables.

{{gwi:662419}}

As you can see on the right side of this photo, nylon cords dangle into the water. Capillary action brings water up on to the heat mat where it is vaporized.

{{gwi:662421}}

Humidity is provided by a homemade humidifer.

{{gwi:662423}}

I also have a large bubbler dropped into the tubs to generate humidity.

{{gwi:662425}}

And here are the healing grafts.

{{gwi:662427}}

{{gwi:662429}}

{{gwi:662431}}

So far no problems from the local wildlife

{{gwi:662433}}

Alex

Comments (15)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Pretty awesome my friend!

Dax

• Cher
    12 years ago

Very nice setup. Shows what people can do to make this whole thing workout with a few creative alternatives.
    Cher

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

all those wires going in and out of the water bins.. simply scares the piss out of me ...

right up there with 12 inch branches hanging over my bed at night ....

i didnt say either fear was reasonable ... lol ..

otherwise .. groovy man ... seems like you analyzed every variable to death.. and built accordingly .... [any chance you sterilized it all???? .. not to criticize .. but just to find one variable you missed .. lol ...]

i doubt you need the bubbler ... any water movement would do the trick .... or so i was told when i had goldfish in a 100 gal water trough ...

and why is the window open????

and now that the roots are active.. why do you need the heat mat .... especially if the you need to open a window because its too hot down there ....

someone correct me.. but arent roots happy in the 50 degree range .... which is what you basement probably is anyway ...

all speculation.. you know i dont graft indoors.. just thinking out loud ...

ken

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    12 years ago

Alex... That is way cool! I did something similar years ago. Your ingenuity is very clever. Keep fine tuning that baby to fit your needs and you will have a sweet little rig there! Id keep those cords on a gfi. Enjoyable photos, Kudos...AL

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Alex,

What a wonderful set up you've created. I like your homemade humidifier. How much humidity do you get in your little chamber?

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys for the positive feedback. This is my first attempt at grafting. In a few months when we see how things shake out, I'll be able to evaluate this low-tech set-up. In the meantime, your encouragement is much appreciated.

Ken, no worries about the power cords. Two lines go to the heat mats, which are rated to be watered. Another two lines go to the thermostats which are meant for controlling heat mats, and again are rated for contact with water. Then, everything is plugged into GFI outlets.

With regard to temperature, I believe the optimum should be warm (65-70 *F) roots and cooler (55-60 *F) tops, and that is what I try to maintain. There was not a lot of free space available in my basement and this setup is uncomfortably close to the furnace, which throws off a good deal of heat when in use. At night and when we're not at home, it's easy to keep the basement temp. in the desired range. When home, I'll intermittently open the window to offset the heat of the furnace. (Good thing that hot air rises). The problem is Monday, my wife's day off, when the heat is on but I'm not around to open the window. Then, the temperature in the chamber climbs north of 70 *F by a degree or two. But I think that's not a serious problem, just a deviation from the ideal.

Lotus, I'm not sure how much humidity I get. I have a little hygrometer/thermometer that reads 99% most of the time. I'm not sure how much I trust it though - got it on Amazon for $12. There's usually condensation on the lower 2-3 ft. sides of the chamber, occasionally on the highest 1 ft., and (usually) not on the top. The humidifier works via an aquarium pump with two air outlets - one line goes to the humidifier and the other goes to the bubbler. It's on a timer to run 15 min at a go at 9:00, noon, and 4:00. One advantage in my mind (not sure if in reality too) is that it pumps in fresh water-saturated air, displacing the stale air from the chamber, and helping to keep the air inside from becoming too stale.

Alex

• sluice
    12 years ago

Alex, this looks like a great way to go! If it's automatically getting fresh air into chamber, that's got to help.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

do remember to sterilize everything next year ...

i did not say my fear was resonable.. lol ...

ken

• maple_grove_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, sluice, that's what I was hoping.

I'll post some more pictures when the scions begin to push.

Alex

• ConiferJosh (6a IN)
    5 years ago

Hello,

Just came across this in some research on making a home grafting chamber. Thank you.

One question, though. I don't understand exactly how the "humidifier" is set up. Are both the lines going into the container from the pump? And do both of those go to bubbler stones in the container? But there's also a large bubbler stone outside the container, right? Is this fed by another pump?

Also, how does the humidified air leave the container? It looks sealed up in the picture.

Thank you!

Joshua

• sc77 (6b MA)
    5 years ago
    You put the bubble stones inside the container with water, so a tube goes in for that and then another tube connects the container to the chamber. As the fish pump pushes air into the container, it forces the mist out the exit tube in into your grafting chamber.

Additionally, you can put more bubble rocks into the tubs on the inside of the chamber to create more humidity.

This example adds a port for a fan to push even more air through. Not necessarily, but pretty cool

• wbgarden
    5 years ago

Hi all ...

Excuse me, but I cannot open pictures here. I see only gwi and some numbers ...

How to ?

Thank you very much.

Jan

• User
    5 years ago
  • sc77 (6b MA)
    5 years ago
    I think he is looking for the original pictures of Alex's basement grafting setup. I can't see them either, maybe they were hosted somewhere else, now defunct.

Way back machine saves the day:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150922085150/http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1833302/basement-grafting-setup
  • User
    5 years ago

Ah, sorry I missed he was talking about the pictures. Thanks Shawn!