Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamer0502

Picea Orientalis "Skylands" or Not?

dreamer0502
10 years ago

This is my first post so take it easy on me. I bought this late late late fall 2012 and it was sold to me as Picea Orientalis "Skylands" but I am not so sure. It hasn't pushed any yellow growth and just doesn't look anything like the larger specimens I see at my local nursery. My local nursery man John Gallant from Katsura Gardens in Plymouth, MA tells to me sheer it to get it fuller. There just isn't much here to cut back.

Comments (13)

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Well it's definitely Picea orientalis but not 'Skylands'. There are 100's of Picea orientalis cultivars that strut their stuff in green. What cultivar you have I have no idea.

Shearing it to make it fuller is not going to turn it yellow. Leave it to grow on its own. It could be a nice specimen plant.

Thanks for posting. I am sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Dave

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

Is it in heavy shade? If so, I can believe that this is Skylands. You have not yet seen a spring flush. If in 2 months the new growth doesn't have at least bright lime green/yellow then you will know it's not Skylands. However, John has one of the largest collections of retail conifers in the northeast. I've been there a couple times and he seemed very knowledgeable, so I would be surprised if it got it wrong.

• kmanzfive laknee
    10 years ago

Its been freezing here in the northeast. Nothing has pushed yet. Its just starting to warm up. Give It some time.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Sorry guys but I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Picea o. 'Skylands' never reverts back to green in the winter months. Old growth especially. Even in part shade they will yellow up some.

Last years push in the above photo of dreamer0502 is especially green.

Yellow color will dull out but you will always be able to recognize a true 'Skylands' even in winter.

Dave

All photos taken 3-30-14.

{{gwi:662470}}

{{gwi:662473}}

{{gwi:662476}}

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

I bought a Skylands early last Fall and it was green too. Nursery owner said it was grown in the shade but really is Skylands. There is a hint of yellow, in some of the older foliage, but really, I won't know for sure until it pushes.
    If this year's push is also green for you, you could talk to the nursery you got it from. One option may be to relocate it to a sunnier spot.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Why would any nursery owner want to grow 'Skylands' in the shade. This really kills the selling appeal of this cultivar?

Dave

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

If you bought it 2012 that means it pushed new growth in 2013. If it wasn't yellow you don't have skylands. The new growth starts out a vivid yellow and it doesn't matter if its in the shade or not at that point. Skylands will completely green out in heavy shade.

• dreamer0502
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This does get morning sun and I think at least 6 hours. Just to be clear John Gallant from Katsura Gardens did not sell this to me. I bought this somewhere else and planted it Halloween 2012. Spring 2013 I never really saw any spring flush of new growth. I think I planted it so late and it got so cold that it was still in shock come spring. I will be very interested to see what it does this spring. Thanks for helpful posts.

• wannabegardnr
    10 years ago

I assume to prevent burn? I'll know in a few months. It's in full sun now.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

With that additional information, I agree with Dave, this is not 'Skylands'.. I gave a huge benefit of doubt, given the fact I thought it came from Katsura...just couldn't see John selling that though. Glad to know it wasn't from him.

I was actually there last summer and he had some really nice, large, bright yellow (real) 'Skylands' for a good price...

Also, given the fact it's getting 6 hours of sun, there is just no justification for that deep green. Unfortunately, I don't think you will see a yellow flush this spring.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

If it didn't make new growth it was dead, which it clearly is not - the end sections present now are the new growth it made last time.

'Skylands' isn't a yellow new growth type anyway, it is splashed with yellow all over as though somebody poured paint over it - as we can see in the pictures here.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

so take it easy on me.

==>>> never!!!!! ... lol

planted two falls ago ..

what did it do last summer???

IMHO ... its simply too green ... it should never be that green ... at worst.. it would look chlorotic.. or.. yellowish green ... in lack of perfect sunlight ...

as to the shearing.. what can i say ... i like natural form .... if it dont fit.. then i dont plant it ...

on the other side... its yours.. knock yourself out.. but learn how to do it properly.. when i think shearing ..... i think privet/boxwood.. and electric shears ...

this could be PRUNED ... insure you learn the difference ... and since i dont do it.. i cant help ...

of course there is that one basal cut.. so you can plant an actual skylands a foot over or two ... [that means cut it at ground level and be done with it] ... if you want skylands ....

ken

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

The growth as it emerges at least least looks completly yellow.

{{gwi:662478}}