Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferjoy

New Nordmann Fir comming up!

coniferjoy
12 years ago

I found a large tree of this very special one at a Christmas tree plantsfield.

It does have golden yellow needles at the base of each yearly new growth.

Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Goldheart'

{{gwi:662794}}

Comments (66)

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

That is so odd that the yellow coloring is at the base of the plants growth while in most cases you usually see the variegation on the tips of new growth. Great find!

• deltaohioz5
    12 years ago

I noticed something somewhat similar on one of my neighbors Spruces a couple years but never gave it much thought until I saw these pictures. So I walked down the road and took a few pictures today.

Frank

{{gwi:662799}}

{{gwi:662800}}

{{gwi:662803}}

• Cher
    12 years ago

Geez Frank that is great. Maybe they'd let you take some scions for grafting.
    Cher

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Very interesting Picea abies. I would like to graft that next year.

Dax

• Cher
    12 years ago

My last comment because I sure don't want to continue to hijack this post, but is it too late to get some scions this year to graft Dax or are you spaced out with those hundreds you've done? :)
    Cher

• sluice
    12 years ago

Spectacular fir Edwin!

And Frank, that's a super spruce too!

• gardener365
    12 years ago

I've grafted all my seedlings.

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

frank.. i would call gee's and ask kary or gary.. if its not too late ....

if they still have understock .. i bet its still doable ... or worth the risk..

its not like you need to harvest the whole thing.. if it fails.. do some more next year ...

ken

12 years ago

edwin ...

did you ONLY graft the 3 in the first pic???

if the whole tree had to go ... i hope more than 3 were grafted

ken

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dont worry Ken, over 500 are grafted :0)

• longaeva54
    12 years ago

Nice finding with nice name. It isn't hardy for my garden.

12 years ago

and only you .... would have 500 understock laying around ... or was there some master plan ....

i have lost 3 a. n. golden spreaders ...

is it personal .. perhaps they hate me ...

or i did i mess up in my z5 ...

google seems to indicate z5 hardy.. which frankly.. i dont believe ... unless its all about micro .. or winter wind vs temp ...

probably should start my own post on this .... and i did ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ken, all was a master plan, I knew of this special plant for a longer time and arranged everything well in advance.

I'm good to mother nature and will never mess with her, once and a while she's doing me a favour.
    The other mother I'll never mess with is my mother in law ;0)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

His mother in law.

Haaaaa

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah Dax, I do have one, how about you?

Btw what does "Dankashe" mean?

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Dankashe - German for Thank You. People in the USA say Dankashe, it's common. It also means 'Bless You' when someone sneezes here. Of course you may correct me.

No Edwin, no mother in law. Only Mom.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think you mean to say "danke schoen"...
    The oe should bin written as an o with two dots above, but this forum doesn't except this way of writing since a year or so...it did in the past!

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

LOL Dax, I thought whatever you were saying was really a word in nether speak. LOL..

Also, Gesundheit is what you say when someone sneezes. That means bless you.

So is German the language you speak in your country Edwin?

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No, in The Netherlands we speak Dutch which looks a lot like the German language...

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Today's update in production.
    The first Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Goldheart' grafted in the first week of March and now potted up in a 2 liter container.
    Also two others of my Nordmann Fir finds found on the same field were succesfull grafted as well.
    These are 'Filip's Twisted' (in the back) and 'Filip's Perfect Column' (in the front)
    {{gwi:662807}}

{{gwi:662808}}

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Definately one of them is mine, sooner or later! How about a close up of 'Filip's Twisted'? and some info...?

Fotis

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

I stood waiting in the queue, too!:)) However I've heard that nordmanniana in Latvia has bad feelings..... But will give it a try. I am, however, by the seaside. However the February promise to -30...... And our frequent thaws......

Ireena

• severnside
    11 years ago

Wonderful discovery Edwin (the man with the golden heart), I look forward to pictures of big specimens against blue skies...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Very, very, nice Edwin. You gotta be a happy man. Those are perfect scions for starter plants.

Dax

• maple_grove_gw
    11 years ago

Wow, those pictures have me drooling.

Edwin, are they released for sale yet or are you waiting for them to get bigger?

Alex

• taxo_man
    11 years ago

Wow! Great find. Those all look amazing.
    Jeff

• zsolti_hungary
    11 years ago

This will be a succesfull plant!! It would be a perfect Christmas present for me... ooohh....

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    11 years ago

Great. I hope someone smuggles them into the US soon!

• monkeytreeboy15
    11 years ago

Fantastic stuff, Edwin!
    I hope you bring some when you come visit the US soon...

-Sam

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

Gesundheit actually means 'the people's health'. That's all I got.

+oM

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks friends for your nice comments.
    All these new finds will be realeased in a couple of years.
    The fresh potted ones will serve as motherplants for furhur propagation.

These are some pics from the other new finds:
    This is the first twisted one I ever came across of this species.
    Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Twisted'
    {{gwi:662810}}

This is the most narrow one I ever came across of this species.
    Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Perfect Column'
    {{gwi:662811}}

This is the most strange one I ever came across of this species.
    It does have a verry slender habit and an open branch structure.
    Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Secret Mystery'
    {{gwi:662812}}

• mirek_l
    11 years ago

Picea abies 'Bizarny'. Two years.

{{gwi:662813}}

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mirek, that's almost a 'Filip's Goldheart' look alike from another species :0)

Is the 'Bizarny' your found?

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Edwin, all the four of them sound very interesting. What is the habit of 'Filip's Secret Mystery'? I mean, does it look like the habit of Picea omorika 'De Ruyter'? is it a dwarf? Any images of the original plants?

Fotis

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fotis, the habit of the 'Filip's Secret Mystery' is so strange that I can't compare to another conifer...

The thing was that the original one was sawn off allready and was down to the grond when I arived.
    I was just in time to cut off the scions for propagating.

I only can show you the original one of the 'Filip's Perfect Column' which is a true beauty if you ask me...
    {{gwi:662815}}

• mirek_l
    11 years ago

Picea abies 'Bizarny'
    I did not found it, but Polish. Seedling.

• fotisr
    11 years ago

Very interesting form Edwin! And it fits my small garden beautifuly. So the list is growing on...

Fotis

PS is this ready for sale, or will it be availiable for sale in two years like the others?

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Fotis, normaly seen all the new Nordmann firs will be availlable in a couple of years, but may be I will make an exception for you... ;0)

This story about all the new one's will be continued when the time is there...

• sprucebud
    11 years ago

'Filip's Perfect Column' - very nice!
    Richard

• arceesmith
    11 years ago

Looks great! 'Filip's Goldheart' is a great name too. Should become a very popular seller.

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another update 8 months later after the up potting of the one year old grafts.
    They all grew very well and will get staked in spring 2014.
    Abies nordmanniana 'Filip's Goldheart'

Detail pic.
    The yellow colour will slowly appaer while the other green needles will get darker coloured by the week.

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 8:33

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Very interesting look. Are they not upright growers?

• Ruslan.Hupov
    10 years ago

Wow. it's a masterpiece! strikingly beautiful variety! I hope someday I'll be the proud owner of ..

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Excellent, Edwin!

Dax

• jarpe
    10 years ago

Amazing!!! 'Filip's Goldheart' is just incredible. Everyone is going to be dying to get that one. That sharp coloration is just unbeliveable!

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How strange, all my photos are not visible any longer...
    I created a new album to avoid this problem because of almost reached bandwith, which worked well for only a couple of days...

• jarpe
    10 years ago

In Starterdudeôs case there is also possibility of nutritiondisorder. When looked closely you can see that yellow needles are oldest of all, atleast it looks that way in pictures. There is not at all yellow in newest growth and once yellow needle will not turn back green anymore. Here in finland lack of Calium causes very similar coloration. Tree circulates nutritions into fresh needles and oldest growth is therefore turned bright yellow every year, (and later drops off).
    If there is green foliage, older then yellow, then im wrong. Some scions should be taken for grafting to be sure, but you should also take a very close look on next tree, does it have same symptoms?

• gardener365
    10 years ago

click the missing photo box and you can see the pics. just because we cannot see them here, they are still viewable.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Or is it the amound of pics I'm using for this forum?
    Now we've to wait till the beginning of next mont before they're visible again...

Thanks Jon, Ruslan, Dax and Jari!
    This story will get a furthur continue later on in autumn when then it's final colours will appaer.

Jon, the 'Filip's Goldheart' is an upright grower but all scions were taken as side branches.
    Grafted plants from side branches will not grow upwards at first, they will grow flat or semi upright.
    By staking them I'll create nice looking specimens with a straight trunk.

Ruslan, keep on looking in your nearby forests for brooms or other conifers with a special growing habit and maybe we can can trade then in the future ;0)

Jari, you could be right about that Picea glauca...
    Frank, were they propagated last winter?

• unprofessional
    10 years ago

Got it - figured that was a possibility. Thanks!