Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sc77

Picea abies 'Inversa' vs. 'Reflexa'

sc77 (6b MA)
10 years ago

I would like to buy what I understand to be Picea abies 'Reflexa' (i.e. no leader, heavy weeping, non-upright). However, I am a bit confused Conifer Kingdom says about 'Inversa':

"The Norway spruce names are greatly mixed up in the trade. This mound form which we are describing can also be sold as 'Pendula' and is likely the same as 'Reflexa.' Either way, this is the mound form that develops a great skirt and there is no distinct upright central leader."

However, I have seen what appears to be a distinct difference between these two cultivars. Inversa seems much more upright, which is not what I want. Any opinions? Should I look elsewhere for Reflexa?

This post was edited by SC77 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 11:40

Comments (6)

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I don't have an answer and the description Conifer Kingdom uses confused me a little as well. I ordered one a while ago from Conifer Kingdom and it's shipping to me next week. It's in a 2 gallon container and supposed to be 18-24". I'll post a photo next week so it should give you some idea of what larger plant will look like.

Before I purchased mine I did a little research on which Picea abies weeper to get. From all the pictures I found, Inversa is staked for height then allowed to weep down and form a skirt. Hopefully I'll be able to stake mine up (if it isn't already) so it gets to around 8' tall then allow it to spread on the ground.

Just about every picture I can find of Inversa looks like the picture below, which is clearly staked for height and has no leader. I bet if you don't stake Inversa you'll get the ground cover/mound form that you desire. I do see a few very large and old ones that do have a more sculptured look though. I will know for sure here in about a week

{{gwi:663040}}

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rick, I look forward to seeing what the CK offering looks like. That picture you included is exactly how I plan to use the tree. Stake upright to about 6ft, then take if off the stake and I want it to weep down.

I think This Post about Inversa is one that concerned me..

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

The 'Pendula' of general commerce is 'Reflexa'. It doesn't look like 'Inversa', which you would more often have to hunt for to get.

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I got the order today, here's what Picea abies 'Inversa' Looks like from Conifer Kingdom. They have it staked up to the top then you can see last year's leader wonder a little. It doesn't have a dominant leader which is good. This easily bends back up into the vertical position. I plan to get a 6' stake for it at planting time. I hope after I get it to the desired height, it won't send up any leaders and becomes a full weeper. But you just never know... I planted Picea abies 'Wingle's Weeper' 3 years ago and it's straight as an arrow... this is supposed to be a heavy weeper lol.

This is exactly what I wanted though, after reading Conifer Kingdoms description... I was concerned that I was going to get a mounding/spreading conifer without a leader.

PIcea abies 'Inversa'
    {{gwi:663041}}

• sc77 (6b MA)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting, nice looking tree. I just saw Picea abies 'Pendula' at big box store and it looked almost identical to your 'Inversa', but the weeping braches did seem to weep a little tighter to the trunk. Tough to say though...

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Yeah a lot look almost identical and you can't tell unless their sitting next to one another. I also have a 3 gallon Picea abies 'Acrocona'. When I first pulled 'Inversa' out of the box, I though it was an 'Acrocona'. They both looked identical & they both have that wondering leader. After you put them next to each other you can see that 'Inversa' had needles that were about 1/4" longer. That's just because these plants are small... once they grow they will take on their natural form.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville