Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glaciers_end

time for a little revision

for quite a while, I've had this really impressive Cedrus libani 'Beacon Hill' but haven't been able to really show it off. Here is the "before shot" showing a bed choked with Phlomis. It took three sessions to dig that stuff out. It was an evil criss-crossing mess of underground runners.
{{gwi:663044}}

Once cleared, I had to decide on the first partner plant to pair with the Cedrus. Although I'm a huge fan of Abies concolor, I've avoided them because of fungal disease issues in the PacNW. This winter I got the opinion of more than one conifer expert that one cultivar in particular seems to work well. I think this pairing is magnificent with the addition of Abies concolor 'Wintergold.'
{{gwi:663045}}

A closeup. I worked with Sam at Rare Tree Nursery. He sent me photos of the various specimens that had on the lot. One in particular had the squatty character I was looking for.
{{gwi:663046}}

A closer closeup. Big thanks to Brent and Sam from Rare Tree. This whole project went from concept to fruition in less than a week's time.
{{gwi:663047}}

Here you can see the Cedrus pushing some new growth. Cedrus are always the second out of the gate for us here, pushing shortly after the Larix.
{{gwi:663048}}

The double arch against the uncommon blue sky.
{{gwi:663049}}

Next job is to find a couple more companion plants to fill out this space. As in the 'Wintergold,' I know what I'm looking for, I just gotta go get it. :)

~Dave

Comments (10)