Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

took a walk around the yard ....

various random thoughts:

40ish out there today .. yippee ...

still walking on top of 2 feet of snow.. anywhere its in full sun.. i glide across the top ... anywhere it is in partial shade.. i drop down a foot or two ...

with the reflected sun... my glasses get so dark ... that i cant see needles... so i lift my glasses.. and then i am blinded ... its going to take half an hour for my glasses to lighten.. and my pupils to dilate properly ... crikey ....

all P thuns [but aurea] are totally caramel colored.. though the buds look good on them ...

EVERYTHING with white variegation is now caramel and green .. i see a theme and a craving here.. lol ... ALL white is burnt off.. e.g. J. Hollywood Var ... or whatever its asian name is ....

i would hazard a guess.. that things variegated green and yellow ... half the yellow is burnt off ...

with the fast deep cold ... many of the winter yellows are not as nice this winter ... though i am wondering if they will yellow as temps moderate ...

what are your late winter observations???

ken

Comments (8)

• hungrymind
    10 years ago

Ken, lots of winter burn in western Iowa too. No snow though,our year will come! Its been a cold one.

Rob

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

Pines hit hard here. Densiflora 'Little Christopher' is looking like 'Little Crispier', resinosa 'Don Smith' may now be 'Done Smith' and strobus 'Mini Twist' is 'Many Crisps'. All these are 8-12 years old and had well established root systems.

tj

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

It appears I lost 2 deodara cultivars - prostrate beauty (totally brown) and cream puff (lost all needles). The larger species plant I have looks fine so far though.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

Are you guys seeing the browning on the entire plant or just on the south side of the plant?

As Ken mentioned Pinus thunbergii is the only one that is toast all the way around, along with one Pinus parviflora.

All the others, mainly pinus have severe winter sun burn.

Haven't checked the buds on anything yet. Snow is too deep and don't know where the dwarfs are in certain areas.

Haven't even done my winter pruning yet!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

On my densiflora the burn goes deep on the south side and the outer shell on the rest of it. The resinosa is throughout and the strobus its scattered on the outer shell.

tj

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    10 years ago

the obvious at this time - c.deodara 'Hollandia' is totally brown, but I haven't checked it any closer than that. Daphane x transatlantic 'Summer Ice' which has been evergreen for years is completely brown, but the stems and buds seem OK. Most boxwood planted in the last couple years took a big hit and will need a good shearing come spring. My main concerns were the chamaecyparis lawsonianas, but they look pretty good. Treasure Island and Ellwoodi have some minor burning on the southern exposure, but Wissels Saguaro is fine. And a couple gift plants Nate sent me several years ago have some slight burning, but should be OK.
    Now let's see what the spring flush will be.
    We've had snow cover for about two months and many nights below 0 - probably the hardest winter in a long time. But today it was sunny and in the low 60s and most all the snow has disappeared - hopefully for good. Last year we had a significant snow fall on the 3/25, but it didn't last long.

Marshall

This post was edited by mrgpag on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 17:56

• deltaohioz5
    10 years ago

This is what all of my Pinus thunbergii look like.

Frank

• ademink
    10 years ago

Top 90% of all Cedrus atlantica 'Glauca Pendula', Cedrus atlantica and Cedrus deodara 'Aurea'....brown.

Taxus baccata 'Standishii' - 1/4" burn on all tips...but it will bounce back.

All 9 Cham Nootka's completely unphased...as well as everything else that rated below zone 4.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone