Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jt_1

Identification

jt_1
11 years ago

An old and very unorganized grower in NE OH has some really unusual and rare plants. Many are super dwarf and very old as he does not do large volume.

The problem is that he never has anything labeled and sometimes he just can't remember the name of cultivars.

I hope maybe someone may recognize these and help me identify the name of these unknown spruce and hemlock varieties:

Comments (18)

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up:

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hemlock 2 form

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hemlock 2 closeup

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hemlock 3

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hemlock 3 closeup

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spruce 1 form

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sruce 1 closeup

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spruce? 2

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Spruce 2 closeup

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My "Charlie Brown Christmas tree" collected from the wild off our remote family property in UP of MI

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up of Charlie Brown

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks in advance for your help! I would love to know the names, because it's embarrassing when people visit my garden and I can't tell them what they are when asked.

Thanks again!

• pineresin
    11 years ago

'Spruce 1' is an Abies procera cultivar, and 'Spruce 2' is a Pseudotsuga menziesii subsp. glauca cultivar.

Resin

• gardener365
    11 years ago

#1 (reminds me of) Tsuga canadensis 'Jervis'
    #4 is an Abies procera (fir)
    #5 is a cultivar of Pseudotsuga menziesii (Douglas fir)

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

welcome to GW JT!!!!

you are really taxing my powers of observation with so many IDs in one post..

there is no limit to how many posts you can do.. and i would prefer one ID per post ...

are these your un-named plants.. or at the other guys place???

are you bonsai'ing your charlie brown tree??? .. i like the rather substantial counter weight ....

i hope others can recognize them for you .... i just wanted to welcome you ...

ken
    ps: we want to see the rest of this collection ....

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your input! Yes, these are all in my collection. Sorry to put them into 1 post, I guess to do it as individual posts would have made more sense.

Here is a link to my garden tour from last spring (please note the varieties above were added after the photo tour, my garden is always changing:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/sets/72157632146151331/

Here is a link to all my flickr galleries:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemaplegarden/sets/

You will find a bonsai set too. I am self-taught and started doing it when a serious injury kept me from doing anything else, so bonsai was my outlet to get me through a very tough time. To someone who is rules focused on bonsai, they would find my work laughable, but it makes me happy and I love doing it. I went on a bonsai marathon and have created over 60 over the past 2 years, now I'm running out of room!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr sets

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Welcome to the forum. You have a very nice garden, thanks for the peek in.

Just guesses...

#1 'Bacon Cristata' as well as 'Jervis'
    #2 "Everett's Golden'
    #3 'Burkett's Dwarf' or 'Hussii' or 'Tiny Leaf Upright'

tj

• jt_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Tj !

Tsuga canadensis 'Bacon Cristata' - Looking at the online pictures of summer foliage, I can see the similarity. I will wait to see if it has fresh, light green growth.

Iseli nursery describes 'Bacon Cristata' as: "Very unusual needles and shoots define this extremely dwarf, cristate hemlock that was found in the wild in northern New Jersey about 1925 by Ralph Bacon. Similar to, but smaller and darker than 'Jervis', this selection produces both ultra-dense, bright green foliage and short, dark green, twisted needles with white striations on the reverse. The gnarly, irregular plant prefers part shade, moist, well-drained soil and protection from drying winds."

The history is intriguing, a 1925 discovery from NJ. The location of the nursery that I bought my tree from, was a hot bed of activity in the early to mid-1900's. Maybe it's possible that his variety made it into our area and was once popular. The only concern is that the tree in question stands up to full sun very well. It has no protection from wind. Another thing is "twisted needles with white striations on the reverse". I do not know what I'm looking for, but I don't see any twisting or white striations. The form reminds me much of Jervis and the description of Jervis form and very dark needles is a striking similarity. Dax also thought it was Jervis too, which makes me feel that it could be Jervis. Both are great guesses, since you only have my pictures to go by. Thank you!

Everett's Golden' - I will do more research. From what I found out so far, it seems to loose it's yellow color with age, which I can see that in my Tsuga. They look to be more pyramid, but mine looks like it was grown from a slanted cutting. It also was very root bound and seemed neglected. It was also in an area congested with other Tsuga in the same sized pot. The tough growing conditions may have contributed to its odd form. Thank you for turning me on to this variety, never knew of it until now.

'Burkett's Dwarf' or 'Hussii' or 'Tiny Leaf Upright' -
    The first two seem to be too dark. The color in the picture is the color of this tree from summer through winter. This is my first Spring with the tree. The 'Tiny Leaf Upright' is an exact match of my tree. I found this picture online and it almost looks exactly like my tree.
    http://www.richsfoxwillowpines.com/catalog/?category=2&product=1629
    Wow! What a great guess, I am convinced that mine is a 'Tiny Leaf Upright' unless there is something else out there that has such a unusual growth habit. The very slow growth rate is another common trait.

Thanks tj, this is very helpful!

Does anyone know of a good book that documents these more unusual varieties and even better, one with good pictures?