Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erin_farr

Can someone identify this awesome looking thing?

Found this in Virginia while on vacation. Obviously it has been prunned to take this shape but I'm dying to know what it is and I spent most of my vacation admiring this conifer.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about visiting it in my middle of the night with a shovel....

Photo was taken in March and I couldn't quite capture the vibrant colour but it was a very bright yellow-green.

This post was edited by erinf83 on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 13:25

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

my GUESS ...

a very old sheared version of Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Lemon Thread'

of which there are many similar plants with different names.. and i would hesitate to guess.... that w/o a hardcore closeup.. we might not be able to delineate which ...

but you never know with some of these guys ...

and besides.. i may be wrong ....

the sideways pic thing drives me insane ... was it upright when you posted it??? .. if so.. i might have to contact GW ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: if you scroll down thru the pix.. there is a pic that looks similar .... and near orange ...

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was upright when I posted it...and when you click on it, it reverts back to its upright position. Not sure why its doing that. I wish I had better pictures, including a closeup, but sadly, this is all I have!

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Ken us indeed correct in that it is a Chamaecyparis pisifera. It very well could be 'Lemon Thread'. As he said though there are other cultivars that are similar.

Dax

11 years ago

Ken us indeed correct

==>> well???.. son of a gun.. even a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while.. lol ...

ken

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Kind of scares ya doesn't it, Ken?

Dax

• Erin Farr (Niagara Zone 6)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I definitely think Lemon Thread may be it. The colours look the same and as do the leaves and overall size and shape. Thanks! I knew this would be the best place to get an answer!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

If it's a 'Lemon Thread', then it's a giant! Lemon Thread tops out somewhere under 8 feet after many years. Much more likely to be Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Aurea', aka golden threadleaf Sawara cypress.

• botann
    11 years ago

Here is one of my 'Filifera Aureas'. Picture taken last winter.
    (I can do better. ;-)
    Mike

11 years ago

as i said.. a guess ... at that distance..

but my point was.. there are many very similar LOOK-A-LIKES ... pick the one best suited to your location ... of which.. i have no clue ...

mikes pic.. took me a long time to see those pots scattered down there .. lol ... and i like it.. it says something to me.. but i dont know what ... and the fog is to die for.. pic-wise ...

and fortunately .... he has NOT spent a decade shearing his for confirmation ... as most of us would consider such an anathema to a well grown plant ...

ken

BTW.. my LThread at 12 years is about 10 feet tall ... and i will try to confirm that.. when i stroll by it some day ...

Here is a link that might be useful: definition 1 thru 3.. but more specifically 3 .... and in sum:

• botann
    11 years ago

I wouldn't advise shearing most plants, including a Gold Thread Leaf. Here's another one, not sheared, of course, but I did cut off the lower branches as it grew. The reason I did was because I planted it too close to the lawn and driveway and needed the room. I try to keep the lawn here wide enough to drive on with my truck once in awhile.
    Normally Chamaecyparis pisiferas don't age well unless they are opened up a bit to get at all the dead growth.
    Notice the right side is green. Doesn't bother me......so far
    Ken, I have pots scattered all over. Most of them are occupied, just waiting to go in the ground.
    Mike

11 years ago

i know.. i like that it is a working mans garden.. either empty pots and a finished project.. or the next great push ...

i think.. on some level ... it makes it NOT a checkbook ..... send for Chauncey the gardener.. to take care of it ...

unpro.. note his spacing for driving around machines.. you have acreage.. dont jam things together ... eh

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

The downside to limbing up and shearing most Chams. and Junipers is that over time you have created for yourself a butt ugly conifer. Along with that means getting out the shears twice a year to maintain appropriate shape. Looking at this one your looking at an all day shearing job unless you fall off the ladder. Hopefully not. Alternating the natural appearance of something to keep it around in an unnatural state is a waste of time. Cone headed conifers belong in the recyle/compost pile.

.There are exceptions and Mike choose the right way to do it. This conifer,after a remake, has character and to the novice could pass as an untouched specimen.

Sorry...been there and done that. Everyone I tried to improve on are long gone. Mother nature always has the best plan and first and foremost that means letting them grow in their natural state.

Davesconifers

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

What is the golden conifer behind the 'Filifera Aureas'?

• botann
    11 years ago

Gold form of a Lawson Chamaecyparis. I don't know the exact name. I started it from a cutting from a common form grown around here.
    Mike

• statenislandpalm7a
    11 years ago

Thanks

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Mike, to me it looks like a 'Stewartii'.
    Does this ring a bell for you?

• botann
    11 years ago

Yes Edwin, that sounds like it!
    You rang a very old bell. ;-)
    Mike

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio