Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keefesn1

conifers and online retailers

keefesn1
11 years ago

I am looking for a picea glauca pendula, a pinus parviflora ogon, a chamaecyparis nootkatensis sparkling arrow, and an abies pinsapo horstmann. The two online retailers that I have looked at are coniferkingdom and brokenarrow. Are either of those more reputable than the other? Which is going to give me more bang for my buck while still retaining a quality product? Any ideas or other online retailers I should check??

Comments (11)

• kmanzfive laknee
    11 years ago

Cant speak for Conifer Kngdom, although they have been around for a while and I'm sure they are fine.
    Brokenarrow is an incredible nursery. High quality products and a very knowledgable staff. They have alot of rare conifers. I make a trek there once a year and I am never disappointed.

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

CK is pretty damn good. However the one order I got from Broken Arrow murders every online nursery out there. The soil media, branching and root systems are the benchmark of all others to compete against.

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

I can personally vouch for Conifer Kingdom. They have a good selection of healthy plants and their owner, Brent Markus is doing the right things to make his nursery an industry leader.

I just looked through Broken Arrow's website. I've never bought from them, but there is some really interesting product there as well. Will's call-out about what he found "inside" the pots is definitely a huge plus.

For what it's worth, Broken Arrow has a lot of nomenclature mistakes. It would make them look even more professional if they tightened that up some.

~Dave

• brentm
    11 years ago

Conifer Kingdom is happy to email you a photo of the actual plants you are interested in, so you can approve them prior to purchasing.

-Brent

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Thats another bonus with both of these...service. Not sure if BA will do photos but as you can see you can get photos from CK. Even if you don't get photos this is the quality you'll see.

I had to cut back big time this year so I could only get a few things this year.

{{gwi:435612}}

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

So maybe true-to-nameness is the part of the arrow that is broken.

Just so they don't give you the shaft.

If deformed rootstocks aren't being used that is definitely noteworthy.

• fairfield8619
    11 years ago

Another vote for BA- roots were just as whaas said. Most you have to do major work on, and not just with conifers, mail order is really hit or miss.
    Abies pinsapo on firma

• texjagman
    11 years ago

I too can speak to Broken Arrow. They may not be the cheapest in town but they have great selection and their customer service is very good. Last year I wanted a Picea pungens 'Spring Blast' beyond a small graft tree. I was having a really tough time even finding it at all. But Broken Arrow had them.

At the time I contacted them they hadn't updated their catalog but they personally went out and checked to see what they had in their inventory and got back to me with sizes. I picked the one I wanted and they shipped right out. It's been in the ground ever since and survived our horrible summer last year so it was strong stock.

So as I said they may not be the cheapest, but sometimes you may have to pay a little more to get what you want, when you want it.

Mark

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

in my world.. budget reigns.. and have found success is more a function of what i do with them.. once i get them more than anything else ... and i live within the coda of i would rather buy 5 twenty dollar plants for $100 ... rather than get two or 3 larger for the same money .... but we each have our goals.. and budgets ....

will .. FFB.. firefighterboy.. the king of getting his hands on stuff.. did a series of posts that actually reviewed what he rec'd .. and i think there was some trick to his post naming.. but as i was not in the market at the time.. i didnt follow them all.. nor recall the titles for searching purposes ...

good luck..

oh.. and BTW.. the collectors lament.. just because you want them.. doenst necessarily mean they are available ... good luck with that part ... or that they are all available from the same provider ....

ken

• keefesn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody for your input! I will find them, one way or another. I drive my local retailer crazy because you guys post things on here and then I must have them, most of which she has not even heard of. We are right on the zone line for a zone seven tree, and I just had them order in an eight foot monkey puzzle tree for me, we'll see how well that works out, but it's gorgeous for now.

• keefesn1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

my new monkey puzzle into a new garden, don't judge the ground yet...

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus