Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thuja Wintergreen Seedlings

Posted by gardener365 IL 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 21, 12 at 13:07

Moved nine this morning to a hillside I've had difficulty establishing firs and spruce. These are the largest seedlings of 34 I grew from seed of cultivar 'Wintergreen'; seed collected at Bickelhaupt Arboretum 2007.

Dax

Photobucket

Thuja occidentalis seedling of Wintergreen #106

I bought this mower last year. John Deere EZtrak 445 - Made in America - Wisconsin; 50" deck.
Made in America - Wisconsin John Deere Z445 EZtrak

Thuja occidentalis seedling of Wintergreen #104

Thuja occidentalis seedlingo f Wintergreen #108

Thuja occidentalis seedling of Wintergreen #127

Thuja occidentalis seedling of Wintergreen #130

Thuja occidentalis seedling of Wintergreen #124

#105 - this is a beautiful seedling. It's feathery/has a soft look. This one I added to my cultivar planting - not to the hillside.
Thuja occidentalis seedling of Wintergreen #105

Thuja occidentalis seedling of Wintergreen #101

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thuja Wintergreen Seedlings

looks like they came pretty true to form ..

dont you think ..

with your zero turn mower.. ever tip the cart .. yet???

long ago.. you told me they were near look alikes to GGiants.. still agree to your own wisdom ???

ken

o

Beautiful conifers. The best for screening.

The John. Should last you for years. A smart purchase and made by someone who works in America.

Dave

o

I agree hardheartedly Dave. I'm buying American man.

Never tipped the cart. Not going to tip the cart. These seedlings all are noticeably different, then again, I look for the detailing. To someone whom doesn't appreciate trees they might not look different at all. These look like American arborvitae all the way. Nothing like Green Giant's. I'll defer that I must of been having an off day when I said that.

Dax

o

Nice stuff, Dax, and I agree that #105 is a very nice one.

Do you build a dam on the downslope side of the trees?

tj

o

No I didn't Tommy. I know how my ground settles though so I plant at a height that I know the plants will not settle beneath the soil line. It's just experience talking. Other folks should probably go with the dam.

Have a great day.

Dax

o

Great looking plants. Hey I can even see the difference in them. :) Now in separate posts I probably couldn't other than a couple, but here there are some definite differences.
Cher

o

=) Cher!

UPS dropped off a real nice forestfarm:
Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Princess Diana'
Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Princess Diana'

And I went and mulched all the Arbs & planted a 'Bruce' plum. :) Yahoo! lol

Dax

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here