Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
unprofessional

Please check my list

unprofessional
11 years ago

Putting my spring list together, and I'd just like some other people to look over it and let me know anything that's worth knowing about my choices before I pull the trigger.

Abies alba 'Pendula'
Abies koreana 'Aurea'
Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade'
Cedrus deodara 'Karl Fuchs'
Chamaecyparis nootkatensis ' Glauca Pendula '
Juniperus rigida
Larix decidua ' Pendula '
Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon'
Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Miss Grace'
Picea abies 'Acrocona'
Picea abies 'Gold Drift'
Picea abies ' Frohburg '
Picea engelmannii ' Bushs Lace '
Picea omorika 'Aurea'
Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'
Picea pungens 'The Blues'
Pinus banksiana 'Uncle Foggy'
Pinus densiflora 'Aurea'
Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost'
Pinus densiflora 'Pendula'
Pinus flexilis 'Cesarini Blue'
Pinus parviflora 'Ogon Janome'
Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls'
Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin
Pinus thunbergii 'Ogon'
Pinus thunbergii ' Shirome janome '
Pinus virginiana ' Wate's Golden '
Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Graceful Grace'
Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Hazel Smith'
Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'
Thuja plicata 'Whipcord'

Comments (22)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Nice list of conifers!
    Unfortunately some are not correctly written...

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If you get the time, Edwin, please feel free to offer corrections - these are going in my plant database, and I'd like to have them be correct.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

ONLY ... if you are prepared to lose all your money.. would i buy these in cold.. wind swept MI ... and since you are simply a few miles from me.. dont do it ... unless you have a very good micro climate .. and as i recall .. you have former pasture ... and that aint no micro :

Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Hazel Smith'

Pinus thunbergii ' Shirome janome ' -- of the 10 thunbers i had.. i think i have 3 left.. and they are not what i would call vigorous ....

Pinus parviflora 'Ogon Janome' .. total and complete POS .... do NOT waste your money ... only one person .... in the entire world.. EVER posted a good pic of it.. and the rest claimed they got rid of it long ago .. monkeyboy can show you how they grow in the PNW.. and MI aint the PNW ... and for a nickle.. i will tell you how i really feel ...

Pinus densiflora 'Aurea' .. mine just died.. and was never yellow.. nor gold.. not impressed.. and will not replace it ..

Pinus thunbergii 'Ogon' .. one of the few thuns that is vigorous.. but never been yellow nor gold.. but not green either.. as a thun.. extraordinary .. as a yellow.. pshaw ...

ok on the rest..

dont waste you money on those noted .... in prairie wind whipped z5 MI .. IMHO ...

let joy do your corrections after you actually get them ... why bother if you end up crossing them off your list.. eh...

ken

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Ken; that's the sort of advice I'm looking for. The 'Karl Fuchs' and 'Hazel Smith' are definitely experiments. I do have a huge hay barn as well as a two story slaughterhouse on the property to help with microclimates, too.

I'll probably stick with the Pinus thunbergii 'Ogon' - I'll be creatively pruning it over the edge of my pond. Will take the other three you mentioned off my list. Added Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' to my list.

• texjagman
    11 years ago

The first thing I thought of when I saw it was WOW...that's a lot of planting in one year.

But it's a really nice list.

Mark

11 years ago

The 'Karl Fuchs' and 'Hazel Smith' are definitely experiments.

==>> exactly.. and if you know that going into it.. so be it...

just wanted to make sure you were going on more than just some catalog zone listing..

hey.. maybe they will work for you ... you will only know if you try .... been there.. done that ....

but i figure.. with all the diapers you have to buy.. perhaps budget might be an issue ... re: experiments ...

ken

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

This is completely subjective.

Must have
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Ogon'
    Metasequoia glyptostroboides 'Miss Grace'
    Picea abies 'Gold Drift'
    Picea engelmannii ' Bushs Lace '
    Picea omorika 'Aurea'
    Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns'
    Picea pungens 'The Blues'
    Pinus parviflora 'Ogon Janome'
    Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls'
    Pinus sylvestris 'Gold Coin
    Taxodium distichum 'Peve Minaret'
    Thuja plicata 'Whipcord'

Could go eitherway
    Abies koreana 'Aurea'
    Abies procera 'Delbar's Cascade'
    Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost'
    Pinus flexilis 'Cesarini Blue'
    Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Graceful Grace'
    Sequoiadendron giganteum 'Hazel Smith' (I believe this is the one of the most hardy selections)

Skip it, not all that interesting or there are better cultivars
    Abies alba 'Pendula'
    Chamaecyparis nootkatensis ' Glauca Pendula '
    Juniperus rigida
    Picea abies 'Acrocona'
    Picea abies ' Frohburg '
    Pinus densiflora 'Aurea'
    Pinus densiflora 'Pendula'
    Pinus thunbergii 'Ogon'
    Pinus thunbergii ' Shirome janome '
    Pinus virginiana ' Wate's Golden '

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Interesting. Why are you so/so on 'Golden Ghost'?

Also, what would you suggest above these cultivars, or why are you not keen on them:
    Cedrus deodara 'Karl Fuchs' - I picked this as it seems the best hardy deodara cultivar
    Picea abies ' Frohburg '

Simply curious. I really appreciate the thought, and I'm sure the opinions given will help when I see the final price tag.

EDIT: You and Ken seem to have very differing opinions on 'Ogon Janome'. Hah.

This post was edited by unprofessional on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 17:16

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I'll throw in a few cents.

Mis-spellings:

Abies procera 'DelBar Cascade'
    Larix kaempferi 'Pendula' is correct
    Picea engelmanniii 'Bush's Lace'
    Pinus banksiana 'Uncle Fogy'
    Pinus parviflora 'Ogon-janome'
    Pinus thunbergii 'Shirome-janome'
    Pseudotsuga menziesii subsp. glauca 'Graceful Grace'

Ones I would cut:
    Uncle Fogy
    Frohburg
    I like 'Golden Ghost' but I don't think you also need Aurea. Pick another species.
    Ogon-janome looks quite rough in our climate
    I think all Pinus thunbergii are a waste of space in our climate
    Hazel Smith at its very alive & best will be an eyesore

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dax, you correct most of the misspellings, I'm very glad that you're sharp on this as well :0)

Picea engelmanii, two ii is enough ;0)

Others are:
    -Xanthocyparis nootkatensis 'Glauca Pendula'
    -Pinus reflexa 'Cesarini Blue'
    -Taxodium distichum 'Pevé Minaret'

• ricksample
    11 years ago

It all depends on what you like. Chances are when you purchase all of those, you will have a few you wish you didn't purchase. Just because the color may be different in person or it may just look not all that interesting. Each year I have at least 1-2 I didn't care for because they just looked ok. I've found more interesting conifers at Home Depot =)

I have about half of those you listed. I would definitely skip Picea abies ' Frohburg '. Although mine is still young, I've been looking at it for 2 years. I'm leaving it there only because I stopped working on that bed for the moment to focus on another part of my yard.

However, I love Chamaecyparis nootkatensis ' Glauca Pendula ' I have a lot of other weeping Chamaecyparis conifers, but this one should get nice and full, offer some privacy, and is a weeper. What's not to like? There are some more interesting ones such as 'Green Arrow', but it all depends on what you are using it for and where it is going.

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks guys. Here is my updated list, with a number of changes, and quantities added. Opinions still very appreciated.

Abies koreana 'Aurea' x 5
    Abies koreana 'Ice Breaker' x 2
    Larix kaempferi 'Pendula'
    Metasequoia 'Ogon' x 5
    Metasequoia 'Miss Grace' x 3
    Picea abies 'Acrocona'
    Picea abies 'Gold Drift' x 10
    Picea engelmannii 'Bush's Lace' x 5
    Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata' x 5
    Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' x 5
    Picea orientalis 'Skylands' x 5
    Picea pungens 'The Blues' x 10
    Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost' x 10
    Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls'
    Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' x 3
    Pseudotsuga menziesii subsp. glauca 'Graceful Grace' x 5
    Taxodium distichum 'Pevé Minaret'
    Thuja plicata 'Whipcord' x 3
    Xanthocyparis nootkatensis 'Green Arrow' x 5

Will sell a few of the extras, but most will be put into group plantings.

• gardener365
    11 years ago

What do you mean sell them? How do you plan to make more money than what you'll pay for them? I just don't get it. Who you buying them from?

I don't understand your new plan at all but that's none of my business (landscape plan). For example who wants 3 'Bush's Lace', in a group?

Edwin, thanks for the engelmannii fix.
    I know you've been on the Xanthocyparis boat for a long time now, however, it's truly recognized as Cupressus.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dax, you're right about the Xanthocyparis, it's Cupressus now, but it took a long time for me as a nurseryman to make the formerly change famiiliar among my clients.
    This was the species change from Chamaecyapris nootkatensis into Xanthocyparis nootkatensis.
    Now I've to tell them it's renamed again...most people don't buy that...

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Hi Edwin,

You and I both know..."the sooner the better."
    If not, it's more trouble later. It compounds to
    more problems because of people passing along
    incorrect information. Such as cultivar names that
    spread incorrectly and now we try to fix that but it
    never seems to end.

Dax

11 years ago

did you ever give me your phone number .... i wanna talk some sense into you ....

what the heck are you thinking...?? they are NOT perennials that need to be grouped ...

crikey.. did you win the lotto???

and who are you going to sell them too??? .. didnt i show you my nursery.. crimminey.. i can even give them away ....

do i recall you have 30 or 40 acres ... maybe groupings would really be something different ... ????

and blimey ... you cant even gift any to me ... because i have everything that you are buying multiples of .. EXCEPT the ones you are getting singles.. whats that all about ... i mean really. wasnt your visit here.. the inspiration for all this madness ???? [and ignore those who are telling you A.kor. aurea is carp .... its sublime in my yard ... and i am closer to you than any of them] ....

BTW.. i dont think anyone mentioned that a 'pendula' larix.. will be either/or khampheri or decidua ... they are all mixed up in the trade .... i think over the years i have bought 3.. and got 2 of one.. and one of the other ....

ALL KIDDING ASIDE ... i have never seen it done this way .. and if its in the budget.. all the power to you ... nothing NEW was ever discovered.. by peeps who limit themselves to what others have done ....

CARPE CONIFERUM ...

ken

ps: i cant believe i worked crikey, crimminey and blimey.. all into one post.. you should feel honored.. lol.. oh.. and carp ....

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing. I have plans and places for all of them, and I know the look I'm going for.

Gonna order most from Western Evergreen - Jason's prices are excellent. Not trying to make money off of any of them; I just have a few family members who are interested in getting some of my "weird trees."

As Ken mentioned, I'm not limited for space. We own everything you see in this picture, and that's only about 1/4 of our property.

{{gwi:665360}}

This post was edited by unprofessional on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 12:50

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Wow, nice property!
    For sure you have enough space for doing some group planting :0)

11 years ago

wouldnt it be nice.. if that pic was taken today ...

most of you warmer zone peeps .... would commit suicide if he posted what it looks like today.. lol ... oh the snow is gone.. but its most likely.. paper grocery bag brown .... unless that is winter wheat back there.. lol ...

what about deer???

and if i come in summer.. can the kids swim in that pond .. is that a kayak???

ken

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kids are welcome to swim, Ken, but there's also bluegill and my five ducks in the pond! I have about 100 waterlily cultivars in there as well. Kayak is mine - kiddos like playing on it.

Wife got "interested," so my W.E. order list is a bit shorter, but still a nice start. Decided to go with smaller quantities for 1#'s instead of more 2 7/8" bands.

Abies koreana 'Aurea' x 5
    Cupressus nootkatensis 'Glauca Pendula' x 5
    Cupressus nootkatensis 'Green Arrow' x 5
    Picea mariana 'Aureovariegata' x 5
    Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' x 5
    Picea orientalis 'Skylands' x 5
    Picea pungens 'The Blues' x 5
    Pinus strobus 'Angel Falls' x 3
    Pinus strobus 'Niagara Falls' x 3

This post was edited by unprofessional on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 17:01

11 years ago

are these FRESH GRAFTS???

i would NOT plant them out in the field..

and i am not sure i would plant second year grafts either ...

you might be best off.. planting tree bands into gallon pots.. for this summer.. and planting in fall ...

ken

• unprofessional
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They're being planted in a fenced in grow out garden for now.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations