Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting a 'wild' cedar tree

Posted by wilsocn (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 14:02

Surrounding the actual yard part of my backyard a dozens and dozens of cedars so obviously they grow well in my soil. I have a small building next to a large stand of cedars but there is an unsightly gap between my building and the trees.

I want to transplant a small cedar to go into that gap and make that area blend in with all the other cedar trees. Im sorry I dont know the exact species name. I am in southern Kentucky if that might be any indication.

Can someone please offer some advice on what I will need to do to big up a small cedar and transplant to that area?

Thanks a bunch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting a 'wild' cedar tree

I'm gonna help everyone right now by saying:

He means Juniperus virginiana.

o

sharpen shovel ...

dig new hole ...

dig around the plant about 6 inches out from trunk ...

carry to new hole ...

insert .. firm it in there ... water .. walk away ... 100% success ..

in fact.. if it is the plant fa mentions.. use google images to verify ... you can do this in august.. when its 100 degrees.. and not water it.. and most of them will live...

IMHO.. its an invasive weed tree.. as evidenced by all the weeds growing around your property .. and you can do a lot better in tree selection for just a few bucks ... think twice about moving a problem plant.. just because it is free ...

that said.. i think about it all the time.. and move them around my yard ... lol ..

just do it.. and water it once or twice during the heat of summer ...

ken

o

Ken,
why 6 inches when you do not know how tall that little tree is wilsocn will select? 6 inches seems to be OK for a 3 ft tree, but it requires more for a 5 ft tree. wilsocn should transplant a tree as big as he can carry the rootball of. A 6 ft tree might require a 1ft-from-trunk rootball.
All roots should be preserved as much as possible.
I think you had a posting here about how to transplant a conifer.
Bernd

o

hey bern ...

wait for it.. YOU ARE CORRECT ... lol ...

i move them at one or two feet ... and a one foot rootball ... 6 inches on each side of the trunk.. is all you need ...

i would never try to move a 6 footer.. and probably why i NEVER fail with this plant ...

though i still hope he avoids this invasive weed tree ..

mine are temporary ... providing a nice screen.. while other things grow to size ... and i have no compunction to removal when the better stuff can do the job ...

BTW.. they grow just fine in full shade ... what might even be called deep shade .. they are all over my hosta beds ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

^^^LMAO at the link! :D

o

I routinely transplant about a 5-10 Eastern Red Cedar a year. Usually in the 2-10" height range. Put them in 5 gallon containers in semi-shade for 6 weeks. Then ease the container into full sun with pot protected from sun. Once the cedar has grown about 6" the roots are nearing the edge of the pot and it is ready to transplant - about 90 days down here is typical time-frame. Take it and transplant into the ground. Like Ken mentioned, select small trees and dig up as much root as you can.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here