Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris7557

Propagating Dwarf Hinoki Cypress

Chris7557
12 years ago

I have a dwarf hinoki cypress that is about 30 years old and is approaching 4 ft in height. Unfortunately, it has gotten too large for the spot where it is planted. I hate to cut this down - it is so beautiful. Is there a way to propagate a cutting from my plant? The top most branch, which has a very nice shape with 3 side branches, has a stem that is about 1.5-2.0 inches in diameter and new growth is sprouting about 2 ft down on the stem. I would like to be able to root the portion just above the new growth which would give me a plant that is about 2 ft high.

Is there a way to do this successfully?

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

cham obtusa can be rooted ..

with some hormone .. and increased humidity .. and perfect timing ...

or with a greenhouse and misters.. etc ..

timing is very important..

as is the age of the wood which will actually root ...

but one thing for sure.. you are never going to get a 2 foot piece to live long enough.. to grow enough roots to support a 2 foot piece ...

are you intent in only trying a 2 foot piece.. or are you willing to try some 4 inch pieces.. and wait until it will grow to 2 feet???

ken

12 years ago

you are welcome

your additional thoughts should have been posted back here.. not that they were not otherwise welcome ..

we work as a group ...

check out the link ... these plants are rather easily rooted ... with just a little knowledge .. and not a lot of overhead ...

if you were to take 10 cuttings of your plant.. i bet 40% would take ... perhaps a new post asking how to do it ... w/o misters.. greenhouses.. etc ...

but .. as you suspected.. not at the giant size..

good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• Chris7557
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Ken. I bought a small bottle of rooting hormone this weekend and I'm anxious to get started. I'll browse some of the links you provided - they look like they will be very helpful.
    Chris

• botann
    12 years ago

I find them easy to root as Ken says. I've maybe rooted a little over a hundred over the years with a automatic misting system, bottom heat, and hormones in partial shade under lath in the Fall. The cuttings were 3 inches, not two feet. Successfully rooting a two foot cutting would be highly unlikely.
    Even though a lot of plants grow better here in the PNW,approaching four feet after thirty years seems a bit slow to me. I have one that's 15 ft after 25 years.
    I'm with katsura grower in that moving it might be the best option, at the right time, of course. What type of soil is it growing in?
    Mike

12 years ago

this is how i did it over the winter.. under lights.. with some bottom heat .... the baggies reduces the need for misters ..

and since we are coming into summer ... bottom heat might be avoided ...

i might try basically the same thing.. and put them on the north side of the house.. or east.. and see what happens by october ...

i can offer no more specificity ...

all i know.. is that spring is a possible time to do it ...

ken

{{gwi:5067}}

• Chris7557
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow! Thank you everyone, for all of your input. I would love to move my dwarf hinoki cypress but I fear that it may not survive. As a precaution, I want to try propagating some pieces before attempting to move it. Yes, it is rather slow growing but over the years I have trimmed off some of the top growth to keep it shorter - but it really is in the wrong spot now. The soil where it is growing is rather sandy, with good drainage. It gets good morning sun with afternoon shade. I am going to collect some cuttings and attempt to propagate them now. Can anyone tell me how long it takes for roots to appear and what should I look for so that I don't disrupt the plant while it is developing a root system? At what point will I know to remove the plant from the plastic bag?

Chris

12 years ago

how about you check out the link ...

and get a base of knowledge..

and then narrow your questions down a bit ...

i dont mind giving some suggestions and encouragement .. but i dont feel like giving a dissertation on it all .. since i would have to research it all myself ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link