Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

Abies concolor 'Cole's Weeping'

i have my babe.. laying on the ground ... as a ground cover ...

i am wondering if i should have it staked upright ... as its habit is vertical .. and then the branches weep down ...

google brings up nothing in the way of a pic ...

Hep me rhonda.. Hep hep me rhonda ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: this is how i dress for the garden .. groovy man ... right click and OPEN IN A NEW WINDOW .. and listen while you ponder my problem ...

Comments (8)

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

How about a pic of your's?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    12 years ago

what.. you have no pic or info... but you are going to figure out the answer by looking at mine???

dB says: AF 7/2009

which translates into Al Fournash [aka Girards dad] .. july 2009

ken

{{gwi:666941}}

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Shoulda, coulda, woulda,...you didn't. Why are you wondering.?

Just let it wonder now. If I remember the weirder the better is a comment you are well know for. Not a bad thing.

I am growing a Picea p. 'Stanley's Gold' on the horizontal. A case of I didn't either and I am glad I didn't. I like the look.

Dave

{{gwi:666943}}

Original Author
    12 years ago

its transplant time ...

so i could under dig it.. straighten it somewhat .. and stake it ..

if i had a straight answer from someone ...

maybe i will just call my source.. maybe i will get a history too .. and if so.. i will make joy pay me for it ...

ken

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Ken,

Since we don't have an up dated photo I will step out on the limb reluctantly and tell you how I would do it.

Dig it.

Replant with main leader as vertical as it can be with exposing any of the root ball. Stake root ball down with 2-3 substantial stakes so it won't pull up under the stress the main leader will be under. Use restraints between the stakes, wire or pipe, to keep root ball in place. Drive a stake next to the main leader for vertical training. Tie main leader up tight to the vertical stake with stretch tape. If you can't suck up tight without breaking it then you will have to do it in increments. Do not use the cloths line method of tying off. We are not putting a baby to sleep here. This tie off means business. This will be a 3-4 year processes. The root ball will have to put down enough base to anchor it permanently so it won't topple when stake is removed. You will determine that also.

Good luck,

Dave

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

"if i had a straight answer from someone"...

I didn't figure you would by it. Your lack of response speaks loads.

Sometimes it's hard to figure what you want or expect reading between the lines of superfluous mumbo jumbo. The fact is that I know you well... I am saying to myself why is he asking this question? He already knows what to do.

You should be giving answers to questions like these with your back ground experience. Not asking for help.

Still friends, but never again. I'll leave you to your own devices and stay clear.

Dave

Original Author
    12 years ago

Still friends, but never again. I'll leave you to your own devices and stay clear.

===>>>>

wow dave ... i dont know what to say ..

to apologize.. or what ...

if i were to get a proper ID .. and an idea as to its actual form .... and its inherently upright .... i would do as you suggest 2 replies above ...

if its mislabeled .. then i dont know what i will do ... i planted it in a spot for a prostrate ... but upright would be OK ...

ken

• dcsteg
    12 years ago

Ken,

Well at this point in the game I would leave it whatever it is.

4-5 year growing on the horizontal is probably where it needs to be.

Resurrecting it to grow on the vertical might be quite a stretch.

Other thought ...go buy another one in correct form. You have the room.

Dave