Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ttonk_gw

please comment on my wish list.

ttonk
10 years ago

Hi all,
During the winter, referring to this forum, I have saved lots of conifers on my conifer kingdom wishlist. I'm finally ready to place my order. But they are too many so I need to narrow it down a bit.
Please see if you would drop any of these. These are for mostly morning sun spots facing east or south east and there won't be much of afternoon sun.

Chamaecyparis pisifera 'Filifera Aurea'
Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn'
Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold'
Picea pungens 'St. Joseph Broom'
Picea pungens 'Colonial Gold'
Pinus contorta var. latifolia 'Chief Joseph'
Pinus koraiensis 'Oculis Draconis' -
Pinus koraiensis 'Jack Korbit'
Pinus mugo 'Carstens'
Pinus strobus 'Louie
Pinus sylvestris 'Aurea'

Thanks in advance.

This post was edited by ttonk on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 15:10

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

crikey ... where are you .. i cant remember everyones location off hand ...

and what is your soil.. that might make a difference ...

the koreansis is an absolutely gorgeous.. fast growing.. green freakin tree ... if you have acreage.. get one ... if you are suburban.. and uneder a half acre.. skip it ... i usually spend an hour in spring.. and again in fall.. trying to find a single branch with OD markings ..

of crimminey ... and the jack corbett is not different in any manner ...

but again .. as a green pine.. it will knock your socks off.. hmmmm.. maybe it depends where you are???

do consider one of the two ... but dont waste space on both unless you have 5+ acres ...

zone is basically low winter temp ... but dave can speak to high summer night temps and humidity as a problem for some types of conifers.. i do NOT think any of those are on your list...

if you go to your memebers page.. you can propable add a city and state to your z6 info ... as i added MI ... after the adrian part of my name.. so you all now know.. i am in adrian MI ... yeah.. adrian is not my last name ... monkeyboy.. lol ...

finally.. i have st mary pungens.. i didnt know there was a st joe .. i will have to look that up ...

the rest.. nice choices ... but dont get me going on chief jo ... but i think CK has addressed that thru understock ...

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    10 years ago

Pinus koraiensis 'Jack Korbit' (or any of the various spellings) and 'Oculis Draconis' are the same plant. At least that takes one off your list! You can check plants out on the ACS conifer database.
    The 'Peve Tijn' is superb.
    Have fun. Sara

Here is a link that might be useful: ACS Conifer Database

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ken and Sara, thanks for your responses! I do not have acreage and the soil's alkaline, clay.

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Peve Tijn is a must.

Dax

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

I'd drop the majority of those for that prime location of no afternoon sun. Get more plants that are sun sensitive.

For example Picea omorika 'Silver Seedling' and an 'Iseli Seedling'

Ones I'd keep.

Picea omorika 'Peve Tijn' - good for the east
    Picea orientalis 'Tom Thumb Gold' = good for the east
    Pinus contorta var. latifolia 'Chief Joseph' - no strong winter sun
    Pinus koraiensis 'Jack Korbit' - if you like minis pick up 'Gee Broom' from them
    Pinus mugo 'Carstens' - good for your southeast location

Keep in mind, plants from the PNW are going to start pushing now in those black pots sitting in the sun and will push more on the way over. Unless you have the ability to protect from frost, get your order in but wait a few weeks for receiving it.

• outback63 Dennison
    10 years ago

Picea abies 'Tom Thumb Gold' needs full sun but you will have to acclimate for two years with shade cloth for it to survive.

Pinus contorta var. latifolia 'Chief Joseph'. Placement is critical .
    Full sun in summer a must with full shade during winter months. Only applies to me who lives in the Midwest. Depending upon where you live requirements could be different but I think not.

Good job on spelling the names correctly. I often fall into the other category because of failure to check my spelling. I believe it's my 3rd grade education that is responsible.

Dave

• ricksample
    10 years ago

Although my favorites, I would drop 'Louie', 'Jack Korbit' and Oculis Draconis' These easily put on 1' of growth per year... last year my 'Louie' grow 1.5'. Unless you have a spot where you can put these and they can easily grow to 30' wide.

I would add some thin weepers to your list... have you thought about something like Picea abies 'Gold Drift'? That's one of my favorites and I know Conifer Kingdom carries this.

• ttonk
    Original Author
    10 years ago

wow, thanks for all the comments! I've just read a thread about Cheif Joseph placement and realize I don't have a spot for that (north of the house with a certain distance.) I copied & pasted my CK wishlist so can't take credit for correct spelling. :-)
    Please keep more comments coming!

whaas, is it Picea orientalis 'Silver Seedling'?

My east location is where plowed snow is piled up. Boxwoods on that spot were completely covered with snow for the most snowy part of this winter (which didn't harm them, it seems.) Would this be okay with those conifers?

This post was edited by ttonk on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 15:42

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

My east location is where plowed snow is piled up.

==>>> nice place for annuals and die to the ground perennials ...

natural covering in snow wont really hurt... but throwing snow on evergreens can lead to damage .... mostly due to it compacting over teh winter and turning to ice ...

though.. some of the carpet type juniper probably wouldnt mind.. presuming there wont be a lot of salty snow ...

are you familiar with planting in clay ??? trees.conifers need good drainage.. it can be an issue ...

ken

ps: there was some real interpretational typing in my prior post.. lol ..