Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dobrodude

Thunderhead Needle Problem

DobroDude
11 years ago

I have a Thunderhead Pine in my garden and most of the needles emerging from the candle are bent. Some of the needles don't emerge at all (See pic). The rest of my pines are doing great in the same soil.

I have a plant knowledgeable friend who says this may be due to alkaline soils. He suggested I try FST supplement to acidify the soil but this hasn't worked so far. Has anyone seen this before? What else can I try?

Comments (7)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

I don't know but stunted or contorted needles are often caused from herbicide damage or insects.

Dax

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Well dude, it seems that now body here can help you out with your mystery needle problem this time.

Maybe the 'Thunderhead' was hit by a lightning which is the cause of the burned en melted look alike needles...

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

I would do a soil test before treating with a supplement.

I don't thing that's you problem.

Yours is a Japanese Black Pine .

I did find a similar problem to yours but the subject matter involved White pine. A little over my head but in short a genetic issue. Weather this has anything to do with your issues I don't know.

Give it a look.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

I have a plant knowledgeable friend who says this may be due to alkaline soils. He suggested I try FST supplement to acidify the soil but this hasn't worked so far. Has anyone seen this before? What else can I try?

==>> does this friend have any background in growing things.??? .. lol

will you look at the HUGE!! healthy!!!! fat !!!! buds.. above the ALLEGED injury???

exactly what can this thing be suffering from... if its buds are that aggressive...

and is that all the damage on the entire tree??? ... heck.. you ought to see what they look like after a z5 MI winter ....[DIFFERENT ANSWER IF ITS THE WHOLE TREE, FOR SURE/ ...

IN MY BOOK.. ALLOW BUDS TO MATURE.. AND SEE IF IT EVER HAPPENS AGAIN.. BEFORE YOU GO LOVING THIS TREE TO DEATH WITH .. carp.. darn cap lock ... before you go loving this thing to death with soil amendments is might not need.. no guessing and whipping stuff around ...

have a soil test done.. then do nothing.. and see what happens ... unless the soil test indicates something is lacking ....

keep it properly watered ...

BTW.. how long has it been there???

and do tell.. if it is the entire tree ....

ken

• DobroDude
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

I haven't applied any herbicide.

My friend has a degree in biosystems engineering, worked at a nursery for 6 years, and currently does restoration ecology here in Nevada. I trust his knowledge and experience so I tried his suggestion.

The candles are not growing as rapidly on the lower branches so the rest of the tree looks fine. When I purchased the tree, it wasn't doing this so its something about the local condition. We have harsh winters, as I'm up against the Sierra Nevada, so the tree is exposed to very cold dry wind during the winter.

Local soils around here are known to be alkaline.

The tree has been planted for two summers going on three.

The candles are always very nice and healthy - but the needles are not.

• J1mmy Talaska
    11 years ago

Dude, this looks a lot like eriophyid mite damage.The most characteristic damage caused by these mites consists of bending, twisting or stunting of at least one needle per fascicle in several fascicles per branch. They also look chlorotic or brown like that. Damage is often confused with herbicide or insect damage or air pollution.

I would submit a sample to a local extension office for an i.d.as the mites are microscopic.

Spraying is usually not recommended unless a large portion of your tree becomes unsitely. Then a registered pesticide would be needed (professional application).

jimmy

• DobroDude
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jimmy,

It does appear similar to this:
    http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/eb1639e/eb1639e.pdf

Dude