Return to the Conifers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
May 3 Conifer Day at Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens

Posted by formandfoliage 9b (Sunset zone 15) (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 15:00

Anyone in Northern California (or who wants a great excuse to visit NoCa) is invited to join the ACS and the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens in a day of celebrating the Gardens new status as an ACS Reference Garden. A full day of conifer presentations (keynote speaker is Brent Markus of Rare Tree/Conifer Kingdom), guided tours, info tables, rare plant sales and raffles. We've got ACS members coming from all over the Western Region. Come see why MCBG is the biggest visitor draw in all Mendocino County!

Here is a link that might be useful: Conifer Day at the MCBG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: May 3 Conifer Day at Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens

Thanks for the tip. I've seen the San Francisco and Berkeley Botanical Gardens, alas, I couldn't easily fit a trip to Mendocino in but will get there next time. I've heard that it's really nice.

Slightly OT but their cultivar list of rhododendrons showed a few varieties that haven't been in US commerce for many years, like 'Radium'. I wonder if they have similarly rare cultivars of conifers. Not a cultivar, but that Dacrydium is awesome!

This post was edited by davidrt28 on Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 3:14

o
RE: May 3 Conifer Day at Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens

The Dacrydium is the nicest that I've seen - there are specimens in several botanical gardens hereabouts. Most of the rare conifers at MCBG are species trees (they've got a gorgeous Abies pinsapo var. marocana) but they are building their collection of dwarf cultivars and doing a very nice job of interplanting them with other trees and shrubs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Conifers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here