Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conrad13743

Picea glauca 'Caerulea'

outback63 Dennison
11 years ago

My first of 5-6 new cultivars I have ordered for delivery this spring.

A fairly new introduction. Glad to have it.

Slow to moderate growth, Looks close to 8" so I would put it in the moderate range for this one.

Upright habit with the bluish foliage. which is strikingly beautiful.

Good to Zone 4.

Davesconifers

{{gwi:667976}}

Comments (11)

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dave, the true and full name for this spruce is Picea glauca var. densata 'Coerulea'.
    This cultivar isn't a fairly new introduction, it's Latin cultivar name says that it was found before 1959...

'Coerulea' means blue...

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's fine.

Goes by the name I posted here in most nursery's state side. Google it. But then if you search far enough you see both cultivar names.

As far as the rarity I'll defer to Bison Nursery.

In truth it can be said it is a new introduction here in my garden Kansas City USA. That way I don't look so stupid. I had a gut feeling the ceiling was going to come crashing down in this thread. Also never have I seen one for sale in the Midwest in my 15 years of conifer gardening.

Davesconifers

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Dave, I really like it. Very nice blue coloring. Good find. From doing a little reading on the plant it looks like it is going to stay fairly narrow. That is awesome.

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

lady

Good observation.

I buy the narrow up right cultivars and generally use them as focal points. This one is exceptional and should be a keeper for a long time.

Davesconifers

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

That's a nice color.

Can't wait to see what you roll out with next!

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

Dave, I'm familiar with the other wrong spelled cultivar name 'Caerulea', the internet is full of it.
    Unfortunately this is the result of careless nurserymen behaviour, one made this mistake and the others followed...

Also the Bizon (correct spelling) Nursery is using the cultivar name 'Coerulea'.

This cultivar doesn't have a narrow habit at all, it seems that your specimen had a heavy hair cut some time ago.
    It's grows like it's species, which is pyramidal.
    Please, give it a proper space so it will not outgrow it's place in your garden.
    {{gwi:667978}}

I know you're always interested in all the info about your conifers, so I hope you'll also appreciated it this time...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bizon's plants list

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

its a very unique color ...

want to see a pic of mine ...

got it tiny.. and it took it a long time.. to understand it was no longer a branch.. and start growing upwards ..

i agree with joy ... [whats that all about.. lol] .. that you will need to do some pruning.. to maintain a shape you like/want ...

well???

ken

• outback63 Dennison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bizon, correct spelling, as of a week ago 'Caerulea' it was. Tag says so. They obviously made the change recently within the week.and frankly I don't have the time to chase names especially these days with so much confusion regarding this issue with proper cultivar name spelling. I will make note of your correction before I label this conifer for the garden.

{{gwi:667980}}

{{gwi:667982}}

Also, joy, after careful examination before I bought it, this cultivar has never had the shears put to it. I never buy a sheared plant no matter how rare or unique it is. So maybe it is special with narrow growing habit. Sure hope so.

End of discussion. Thank you.

Ken...I would like to see a photo of yours.

Davesconifers

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Dave if I had a dime for every incorrect plant tag that I had I would be rich as they say! And when I was writing the Ginkgo article and asked nurseries why they described certain cultivars certain ways, I got all kinds of silly answers, even one nurseryman saying that he relied on a third party to write his descriptions and he had no idea where she got her information from!

For what it's worth, the RHS, which I believe is the international registrar for plants (but I could be mistaken) lists Picea glauca 'Coerulea' as the name. I have one, it is young so hard to know what it is going to do but I would not describe it as fastigate. I bought it because of the color which is indeed special! We'll have to compare notes in a few years and see what this little guy does.

Sara

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

took me a while.. learning how to move around in PB ...

got it in 2003 .... sold as Picea glauca 'Caerulea' my notes say it should be Picea glauca var. densata 'Coerulea'

{{gwi:667984}}

{{gwi:667986}}

leader growth in 2010 .. note the 18 inch 2009 leader with the needles just below the expanding bud ...
    {{gwi:667988}}

frankly.. from my observation.. its going to be near green species growth.. but in a cool deep teal color .... i dont know how bison suggest otherwise ... it akin to 'dent' without the cream tissue ....

ken

• texjagman
    11 years ago

Beautiful tree Ken. It kinda does look a lot like Dent without the cream.