Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricksample

New shipment of plants + Review

ricksample
12 years ago

Company - Carters Cool Plants

This is my first order with them. Plants were packaged very well. In fact it was one of the better packing jobs I've ordered in the last year. Plants are in great condition & the price was also good... these will be listed below. I placed my order a few months ago, this past Tuesday I e-mailed and asked if they were able to have them shipped because of the nice weekend and they were able to. They ran out of boxes, so they had to leave 2 plants out which is ok... these should be in next week.

Another positive is that they give very large heavy half inch round stakes with each plant. Some of the plants that outgrow there stakes such as 'Pendula Bruns', they added anther larger stake with it. Normally I get very small stakes or no stakes at all and I need to go purchase some. The large pieces of wood was just taped on for packing so they won't slide across the box.

Picea pungens 'Blue Totem' $35

{{gwi:668025}}

Pinus parviflora 'Aoi' $34.50

{{gwi:668026}}

Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns' $35

{{gwi:668027}}

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Moonshine' $35

{{gwi:668028}}

Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Wissel's Saguaro' $14.50

{{gwi:668029}}

Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Melody' $12

{{gwi:668030}}

Pinus mugo 'Carstens' $14.50

{{gwi:668032}}

Pinus mugo 'Spilled Mil' $14.50

{{gwi:668035}}

Comments (20)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i dont understand how they came out of the L-shaped box that you posted in the other post???

otherwise.. spectacular ...

ken

• botann
    12 years ago

Way to go Rick.
    A satisfied customer is the best advertising.
    Mike

• GrapeSocks
    12 years ago

I was happy with my order, too. Plants look good and packing was excellent. The pots were packed in the box just tightly enough so they couldn't move; tops of pots were covered and taped so no dirt spilled. The pots of my Pinus mugo 'Carstens' and Picea pungens 'Blue Pearl' were screwed together onto a tall, flat piece of wood. I'm guessing that was done to keep them from tipping completely over (possibly breaking) if the shipper wasn't very careful. Emails to them were returned promptly. A good experience.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I will post the other two from this company hopefully next week. Another good thing about this company is they post the actual plant on the website instead of the full grown image that most sites have. Seeing the size before you make the purchase is a huge plus!

Ken - That L-shape box is is actually 3 separate boxes all taped together. Let's take one of those individual boxes... The inside is just large enough to fit the 1 gal which keeps it from sliding around.

You will notice some have a 1" 4' piece of plywood. That is screwed into the plant container. Then they also taped some of the smaller quart size containers to the same piece of wood. So really you just have a 4' box... you have a 4' piece of wood. They screwed/taped the plants to this piece of wood. Then they just slid the entire unit I guess you can call it into each box. It makes it impossible for anything to move.

For the plants, they put some grassy type material over the dirt, they taped this to the pot, then they put it in a plastic bag.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Very nice plants Rick.

Dax

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dax

Typo above... Pinus mugo 'Spilled Mil' Should be Pinus mugo 'Spilled Milk'...

By the way... does anyone have a larger photo of this? Why is it called spilled milk anyhow? lol

• harv2016
    12 years ago

Some wonderful looking plants

• firefightergardener
    12 years ago

Some nice looking, healthy specimens. It sounds like this company goes all out on the shipping protection - a good thing considering the price of conifers and how rough shipping can treat them. I posted many reviews years ago and while I have a few left up my sleeve, it's great to see some others making new ones for newer companies.

Thanks Rick!

-Will

• Cher
    12 years ago

Some great plants Rick. They are in excellent condition per the photo after shipping. I like your choices.
    Cher

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Rick, you bought yourself some very nice additions for your conifer collection.
    I must say that Carters Cool Plants do have a great quality plants!

I don't know why the mugo pine is named 'Spilled Milk'.
    At first I would expect a variegated one...
    What I do know and can see is that you spilled some milk which was comming right out of your trashcan at your first and second pic... ;0)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Don't drop a match on that trail. That's nuclear!

Dax

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

spilled milk... buckholts pix show yellow tips..

who knows why that looks like milk ....

ken

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Perhaps I'll see something special when spring comes... I will keep you all posted.

I got home and found a huge package on my doorstep. It looks like they were out of the 1 gallons... and instead sent them both in 2 gallon pots! These are my largest plants by far, I think everything else I own is a foot maybe 2 at the most.

Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Pendula' - Not the rarest I know, but every time I see one I cant help but stare. ONLY $12 BUCKS!
    {{gwi:668038}}

Pinus densiflora 'Golden Ghost' $35
    {{gwi:668041}}

• Cher
    12 years ago

Very impressive Rick. Would love to see photos when you get them all planted out.
    Cher

• gardener365
    12 years ago

It's going to be great to see all these when they're planted. I'm looking forward.

Dax

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Ah Rick, what great plants you purchased. I love Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Moonshine'. Thank you for sharing your new arrivals. Mine should be coming this week. I'm going to mall the poor mailman. Every time I hear a truck drive by I run to the door. LOL.

Good luck with your new plants.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Nice work Rick. Especially like your chams!

Carter's plants look nicer in person than his postings on ebay.

• ricksample
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Will I think the Chams are probably my favorite this time around... I actually felt Chamaecyparis lawsoniana 'Wissel's Saguaro' today for the first time and it feels like plastic... I couldn't believe it lol.

For those interested in Pinus mugo 'Spilled Milk': It looks like like the needles will start off white. It'll be nice having this plant 2'+ wide and having these white buds light up in the spring.

{{gwi:668044}}

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Nice plant! Share pics in another week or so.

• severnside
    12 years ago

That's a handsome mugo.