Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taxo_man

Under-stock and witches broom questions?

taxo_man
12 years ago

Hello everybody!

Two general questions.

I just bought a "Golden Dawn" Dawn Redwood from FF.. Really nice tree, but my question is about the understock.. Supposedly this is a slower growing form, so why does the under-stock, (which is the straight species) not get as large of a trunk as the species.. In simple terms, does the understock ever completely turn in the scion?

Also, I found two different Norway spruces trees with two different looking witches brooms on them.. one is very dense and the other is a bit more 'airy' both about the size of a watermelon... So the question is, are all witches brooms from norway spruce pretty much the same, or can there be a good enough difference between the two to sell and name as separate cultivars? Also, if i can get a cutting somehow.. how easy does a spruce root from cuttings..

Thanks

J

Comments (15)

• gardener365
    12 years ago

Evidently, the material grafted to seedlings does dwarf the rootstock, but there will be a difference in due time. It's the same for everything. I would speculate that species to the same species will be the best combination because, all you have to do is look at Pinus parviflora grafted to Pinus strobus, and the understock does eventually become much larger than the parviflora. That's a common one, at least for me, and I'm speaking of tree forms, mainly.

Rooting spruce is not easy unless the foliage is juvenile, and then you may have decent chances. And while this doesn't always apply only to juvenile foliage, some non-juvenile forms will root, however again, 990 of 1000 'types' will be difficult to root.

Dax

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Dax! I really appreciate the info. That clears things up.
    I'll let you know if I have any luck with those brooms.

J

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i am trying to picture the dilemma your facts suggest ...

a little 2 foot mini ... 20 years old .. two feet from the sidewalk .. heaving it up on a monster root system ...

what a hoot ...

ken

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Hi J.
    Can you show us some pics of your 2 Picea abies witches' brooms?
    Thanks!

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sure thing, I will have pictures Monday night.. (I won't be back in the area till then)

Jeff

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry for the poor pics.. The first one is probably only 25 feet up.. the second is 70 feet up..

{{gwi:668202}}

{{gwi:668204}}

J

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Taxo, What really nice brooms you found. Good luck getting them down. Be careful.

• gardener365
    12 years ago

The first one has a great egg shape.

Good luck on it Jeff. Don't remove the entire broom, you may want to come back, again.

Dax

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you ladylotus!! : )

Dax, Yeah I think I am going to go after the egg shaped one.
    I'll just snip off a small amount. Thank you very much for the info!!

Jeff

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Yep, that egg shape one is a very nice one indeed!
    Thanks again for showing us these pics.

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found another broom! This one has nice color.

{{gwi:668206}}

{{gwi:668208}}

{{gwi:668210}}

Jeff

• bluespruce53
    11 years ago

Get the brooms propagated by grafting, it's almost impossible to root them by cuttings ..

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks blue! This will be my first grafting attempt, hopefully one of them will take..

• ireena (zone 5-6)
    11 years ago

Nice founds, Jeff!

I also found two Picea abies brooms and Pinus sylvestris - lot of brooms. For me it also will be the first experience of grafting.... But I look forward to spring. I hope that the outcome will be successful. Good luck to you.

Ireena

• taxo_man
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ireena and good luck to you as well!
    I'll update this more in the spring. Hopefully with good news.

Jeff