Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
james730115

How to save conifer from RoundUp?

james730115
11 years ago

Hi,

My son accidentally sprayed RoundUp solution at the top of a 5 feet conifer while trying to kill the ivy on the hedge.

One of the helpful members advised to use lot of water to clean it... But it's like 24 hours after it happened. Would it be too late to prevent permanent damage, i.e. the RoundUp solution has been absorbed completely by the tree? Can I just lop off the affected part (the top part) to save the rest?

Thanks again!

Comments (8)

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

James,

I am sorry there is nothing you can do.

No amount of water will cleanse it weather its been on there 30 minutes or 24 hours. This product is quickly absorbed by plants

Just wait before you get out the loppers and see what transpires. Should take a couple of weeks to know the damage inflicted.

Davesconifers

{{gwi:641358}}

• gary2010
    11 years ago

James
    What kind of conifer was it, if it was juniper or arb. you can
    kiss the top good by. Needle conifers that are dorment will
    uslually not be damaged because of the wax coating on the
    needles will repell the RoundUp. Did the Roundup happen
    to be the new Roundup poison ivy and brush killer if so that
    is a differnt story.
    Gary

• james730115
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Davesconifers... I'll wait and see : (

Gary, it's "Platycladus orientalis", 4 years old, I think. I used the "Roundup 5705010 Extended Control Weed and Grass Killer Plus Weed Preventer Concentrate Bottle", not sure if its strength is less than the one you mentioned.

• outback63 Dennison
    11 years ago

Again...Round Up is a systemic, which means it affects the entire plant system. It can be absorbed by any part of the plant even conifers the have wax coatings on their needles attached to the woody part of the conifer. While it does do considerable damage, it does not always completely kill the plant.

Again wait and see.

Davesconifers

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i would have soaped it up within minutes ... with what i dont know..

and washed it rather roughly ...

and then hoped for the best ...

i dont know what to tell you now.. other than.. to kill a tree.. i would guess you would need over 50 to 75% coverage.. to dose it well enough for the kill ... [presuming you were using proper dilution rates]

hopefully.. you will only have some branch death.. and recovery .. but only time will tell ...

by fall you will probably know.. might even take thru next winter ...

the only issue.. is whether you can find a replacement cheaply.. and just divest.. and replant.. so as to not guilt your son forever .. lol ... on my 5 acres.. i could ignore this for 3 years.. and 'see what happens' .. but if it is in a prime focal point in a small yard .. and this waiting will drive you insane.. just divest ... the other side of that coin.. is whether you are the science type.. and would love to 'see what happens' .... personality A or B ... its up to you ...

i use plenty of RU around here.. when the kids were younger.. it was always an issue.. whether they would walk up.. and try to emulate daddy spraying ... lol ... but the worst was.. the unexpected sneeze.. wherein who knows where that wand might end up when you convulse erratically ... lol

i wish you luck

ken

ps: BTW.. you dont happen to know.. if your RU had a spreader/sticker in it?? it would be on the label ... it might help to call the 800 number on the label.. and ask mosanto what they suggest.. i would be curious ....

• nothotsuga
    11 years ago

How to save conifer from RoundUp?

The best way is to never buy this useless product. There is always something else you can do. Sorry.

• bobfincham
    11 years ago

The effectiveness of the Roundup depends upon a number of factors. Was the Platycladus coming out of dormancy (where are you) and what was the strength of the mixture? If you are in an area where winter still has some grip and your mixture was at the recommended rate or less, the worse you will see is some foliage burn and I suspect you won't see anything happen. Roundup can actually be sprayed directly over COMPLETELY DORMANT conifers at about 1/2 the recommended rate without causing any damage while still killing weeds, especially grasses. However, that being said, it can build up in the foliage and repeated applications can cause severe damage.

I also suspect the Roundup will have little effect on the ivy other than burning off some of the leaves. There is too much bulk tissue for enough to be absorbed to kill the trunks and roots.

Roundup is excellent for grasses and has mixed results on broadleaves, often allowing them to flower and ripen seed before they die. Often it will only put the weed under stress and not even kill it. I have had almost no success trying to kill vines with it.

Bob

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

yes.. there is something about ivy leaves.. they are hard.. often with a waxy coating ... and seem oblivious to sprays.. hence the drip suggestion.. which when doing so.. you are applying it to the cambian layer and it is being sucked into the root system ...

there are actually killers exactly labeled for ivy .. as RU is.. but sometimes specificity of target helps ....

ken