Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dufusyte

Cedrus experts, cultivar ID needed

Dufusyte
12 years ago

Any idea of the true identity of these cedars being sold by Bizon Nursery under the name of Cedrus libani 'Glauca'?

More pictures and details available at:

http://www.bizonnursery.com/plant/1315646/

{{gwi:668611}}

It looks similar to Cedrus deodara 'Kashmir'. Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Cedrus deodara and Cedrus libani are very similar species so it's difficult to distinguish. To me, these cedars more closely resemble Cedrus deodara than Cedrus libani.
    Keep in mind that Cedrus deodara is sometimes considered a sub-species of libani.

-Sam

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Wait a minute Sam, all you're telling here is far from right!
    Cedrus deodara and Cedrus libani are VERY differend species.
    Cedrus atlantica and Cedrus libani are very simalar species.
    Cedrus atlantica is a natural variety of Cedrus libani.

The Bizon Nursery isn't correct either, the one's at their pics aren't Cedrus libani 'Glauca'!
    All pics, including Dufusyte's are showing us Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'...

Here is a link that might be useful: True Cedrus libani 'Glauca' pics.

• Dufusyte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your expert opinions, Sam and coniferjoy!

Bizon does sell Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula' as a separate item:
    http://www.bizonnursery.com/plant/1665239/

Cedrus libani 'Glauca Pendula' growing at Bizon:
    {{gwi:668614}}{{gwi:668616}}

It looks somewhat different than the mystery plant they are offering as Cedrus libani 'Glauca'.

Cedrus libani 'Glauca' growing at Bizon:
    {{gwi:668618}}

• coniferjoy
    12 years ago

Damned!
    Why is it so hard to see what the differences are between a Cedrus deodara and a Cedrus libani?
    The differences are huge!
    I can understand that a collector will make a plantsname mistake but a famous nursery as they are must name all in the correct way!

The first pics are showing us Cedrus deodara 'Glauca Pendula'
    The second pics are showing us Cedrus deodara 'Robusta Glauca'.

• monkeytreeboy15
    12 years ago

Sorry, Edwin. I at least have trouble telling Cedrus libani and Cedrus deodara apart.
    In a few places, I have seen Cedrus deodara called Cedrus libani ssp. deodara--obviously incorrect, however.
    Thanks for clearing this up, Edwin.

-Sam

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Scarecrow habit type Himalayan cedar sold as blue Cedar-of-Lebanon or weeping blue Cedar-of-Lebanon. Clearly a Himalayan cedar, especially when seen up close. Shown with the caption Cedrus deodara 'Libani Pendula' in the Bitner conifer book from Timber Press, without discussion of the name.

Another example of a Himalayan cedar in the trade as the other species is 'Repandens', which has been sold using 'Beacon Hill' and various other synonyms.

• Dufusyte
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gentlemen: your insights have helped me gain a greater understanding of this plant. Thank you for sharing your expertise!

• tunilla
    12 years ago

"Cedar of Lebanon" sounds really exotic and is probably more appealing to the sunday gardener than "Him-a-what?" cedar.Sometimes it boils down to simply that.Commercially-minded salesfolk probably know that and may label their plants accordingly - for speedy turnover & smooth cashflow.
    I'm so glad I discovered this forum and it's 'all weather,not-too-much-nonsense' gardeners!Bless you all! T.