Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formandfoliage

Buchholz&Buchholz

Just posted some photos of our visit to Buchholz in September. Talon was extremely gracious and the display gardens are well-worth seeing - there is some real size on some of the plants. The biggest Acer pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset' that I have ever seen (no photo that did it justice). Their website is of course a must for anyone wanting to drool over conifer eye-candy.

Here is a link that might be useful: A Visit to Buchhoz& Buchholz

Comments (23)

• gardener365
    11 years ago

Killer Blog.

Dax

• Garen Rees
    11 years ago

What a treat. Thanks!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

The weeping larch in the third shot is Japanese and not European. It is probably the common clone, normally sold under the wrong species name.

• slama.wbgarden
    11 years ago

Nice ...
    dwarf conifers garden
    Jan Slama wbgarden

Here is a link that might be useful: wbgarden

• echolane
    11 years ago

Awesome!
    Inspiring!
    Educational!
    ( and more....)

Jan

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

super ...

i was in a hurry.. and couldnt find the esk picture.. could you link us directly to that one??

thx

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all! It really was a treat to visit and to get so much backstory on the plantings. Ken I did not include a photo of 'Esk Sunset' because we didn't get a good one. One of the things that happens (to us at least!) when we visit a garden like this is that we become overstimulated and can't quite take it all in. We had been to Iseli in the morning and then spent three hours at Buchholz and we were completely spent after that so crawled back to the Oregon Garden Resort and collapsed (in the bar, admittedly!) So it was only later on that we realized that all we had of that glorious 'Esk Sunset' were snippets and no photo that showed the whole tree. A reason to go back...
    Sara

• ladylotus
    11 years ago

Sara,

What great photos you always take. I love all the forms, shapes and structure you've captured in these gardens. Thank you for sharing.

• abciximab
    11 years ago

I took this picture at Talon's nursery August 2011. The picture isn't the best, but you get an idea how large the tree is. It was a very sunny day and picture quality suffered.

Acer pseudoplatanus 'Esk Sunset'
    {{gwi:669976}}

11 years ago

thx abc..

thx FF

ken

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes that is it in all of its glory! It is an astounding tree.
    Sara

11 years ago

ya know.. my inclination on trees.. is to prune them up 6 feet or so ..

but on variegated trees.. its really hard..

really now.. whats the point.. if you cant see and touch a leaf.. eh?? .. especially if its maroon on the back ...

ken

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Have seen none that big up here - of that clone. It is not the first variegated purple sycamore maple, but it may be more highly colored than usual. It is certainly the only one in local outlets at this time.

Buchholz was supplying 'Prinz Handjery' (incorrectly as 'Brilliantissimum') to retailers here for a time, but these two are a different type, with conspicuous shrimp pink new growth slowly becoming mottled yellow and green - in the manner of Pieris 'Forest Flame'. ('Prinz Handjery' is more vigorous, with purple undersides; the true 'Brilliantissimum' is quite slow, and not purple beneath - I know of very few in this area). Stunning in spring, the rest of the season they look like they have mites or a virus.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ron it is a stunning specimen and classic 'Esk Sunset' coloration. After 'Esk Sunset' my favorite pseudoplatanus is 'Nizettii'. 'Prinz Handjery' (I have the 'Dawes' variation) has the most beautiful flowers and seed pods of any of them but is then not as interesting when in leaf. I can't wait till all of mine attain some size but I may not live long enough to see them get as big as Talon's!

• sluice
    11 years ago

Very enjoyable! Thanks for the link.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, sluice!

Ron I just saw a 'Brilliantissimum' leafing out - first one I'd ever seen. It was up in Mendocino - I didn't think to ask where they got the tree. The new foliage was stunning, as shrimpy pink as you note. It was nicely placed in a very shady garden (under huge redwoods) so that the new foliage was easy to see but the tree would fade to the background once it leafed out and the maples in front did the same.

• alley_cat_gw_7b
    11 years ago

Sara, With your writing skills and photos...It was the next best thing to being there! Thanks
    `AL

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Due to Buchholz supplying garden centers with 'Prinz Handjery' for a time, in place of 'Brilliantissimum' any comparatively recently established specimens encountered as 'Brilliantissimum' should be checked for purple leaf undersides before being taken as true 'Brilliantissimum'. I have seen very few 'Brilliantissimum' in this region.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 'Brilliantissimum' that I saw in Mendocino looked nothing like the various 'Prinz Handjery' that I have seen...

• whaas_5a
    11 years ago

Keep doing what you're doing. I won't be getting out there anytime soon so its nice to see quality photots showing off the specimens.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will thank you very much. It is such a treat to visit these places - a bit discouraging, too, as the conifers grow like weeds in Oregon and then I get back here and it's tougher going for them. It was also wonderful to see the stands of native conifers everywhere.

Sara

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

The main differences between the two are 'Prinz Handjery' being more vigorous and having purple leaf undersides. Otherwise they are effectively the same, both in spring (before the purple becomes apparent) and summer. So if the 'Prinz Handjery' and the 'Brilliantissimum' you have seen "look nothing" like each other then either there is a naming discrepancy involved or you were overstating the situation.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I meant the difference between the salmon with midori overtones on the 'Brilliantissimum' and the chartreuse with shrimp/bittersweet overtones on the 'PH'. I wouldn't call the underside purple - it's more of a claret, a Chateaux Margaux 2000 or 2001 (I'm not particular about the vintage).

I'll cop to overstating if you'll cop to belaboring!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH