Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kev_o

Large Pinus Thunbergii Cultivars

Kev-o
11 years ago

I'm looking for some larger Pinus Thunbergii cultivars, the largest I have right now is a Thunderhead and a Oculus Draconis. I'm looking for a 15-20+ footer. Any suggestions? Also, some varieties for sculpting, along the lines of these:
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/files/images/photos/p11/pinus-thunbergii.jpg
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/110736429/Pinus_thunbergii_Ornamental_tree.jpg

Also I wouldn't mind suggestions on some great "taller variety" Japanese Red Pines. Tallest JRP I have right now is an 'Aurea'

New here, thank you for any help!

Comments (12)

• firefightergardener
    11 years ago

If you want a large Japanese black pine, why not just grow the species? Did I miss something? I have a few cultivars that grow vigorously(selected for their bark) but I don't know if that was your motive or not...

-Will

• Kev-o
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@firefighter: I wasn't aware that there was such a thing as just a "Japanese Black Pine," I was under the impression that Japanese Black Pine was just a relative term for the tree, and that you had to choose one of these "sub-names" or "cultivars." Talk about mega-newbie question! This is my first garden! :)

@formandfoliage: Maybe the tree is near it's mature height and won't grow much more? Good question.

Does anyone have any suggestion on good places to find pure Japanese Black Pine species(and Japanese Red Pines) online for purchase? They don't need to be big specimens(INITIALLY! Ha-ha). I suppose I could check my local nursery, though I have a feeling they wouldn't carry them here in North Texas. I have been ordering my plants online, and prefer it that way at the moment.

• kbguess
    11 years ago

Here is a place that sells seedlings and smaller potted JBP. They have a good reputation among bonsai enthusiasts

Here is a link that might be useful: JBP seedling source

• coniferjoy
    11 years ago

It's 'Oculis-draconis' instead of 'Oculus Draconis'...
    {{gwi:670255}}

• lostpinejim
    11 years ago

Try these:

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Black Pine seedlings

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

Talk about mega-newbie question! .....
    Does anyone have any suggestion on good places to find pure Japanese Black Pine species(and Japanese Red Pines) online for purchase?

hey..WELCOME

first.. be prepared to be enabled ... lol

second.. let get you up to speed on using latin names .... Japanese Red Pine (Pinus densiflora) .. densiflora is about as common as they come.. if you cant find good CULTIVARS for sale .... mail order.. just give up now ... lol...

do you know the difference between as species and a cultivar .... ?? generally.. species are otherwise know as forest trees.. and unless you have a couple hundred acres.. you dont really want them in your garden ...

what you should be looking for.. is a Cultivated Variety [aka CultiVar] chosen for its size... shape.. color.. texture.. making it somehow unique to the species ...

BTW.. do you know what 'Oculis-draconis' means? ... it will define why this one was chosen for propagation???

next.. make plans to remove all your grass ... in the next few decades... lol ...

there is so much we can teach you.. if you wish to hang around ... an easy way to start.. is to read thru the 60 odd pages of posts.. and then zero in on specific questions for new posts ... all pix can be reloaded if you want to see them...

soooo ... do you really want a bunch of extremely large forest trees.. or are you looking for cultivars.. and once you answer that question.. are you looking for color.. size.. texture.. etc ...

here is a link to a primer on conifers ... pay special attention to the section on Conifer Sizes.. what i call ANNUAL GROWTH RATE ... that is what defines mini.. dwarf.. intermediate.. and large plants .... [and has been covered in hundreds of posts] .. but if you have specific ???'s.. feel free.. we can cover it again ...:

http://www.conifersociety.org/cs2/index.php?module=htmlpages&func=display&pid=3

how about a pic or two of your potential garden space ..... in a new post.. and we can brainstorm that for you also ...

welcome.. and good luck

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: vast potential ....

• PRO
    David Olszyk, President, American Conifer Society
    11 years ago

Hi Kev,

congrats on your decision to get deeper into this stuff. There's no worries about "newbie" questions. We've all been there and we're all learning new stuff everyday. Keep digging, man.

Pinus thunbergii (aka thunbergiana) = Japanese Black Pine (Matsu in Japanese)
    Pinus densiflora = Japanese Red Pine (Akamatsu in Japanese)
    Pinus parviflora = Japanese White Pine (Goyo in Japanese)

Each is very different in form and texture and all have myriad and at times rather strange cultivariants (cultivars) = varying based on culture. One thing that is common in the garden use of these is the ease that they can be pruned and shaped (or as some would maintain, tortured). I feel that Sara's (FormandFoliage) tree now left to it's own devices will now start to become a very large "pine tree." Trees never really stop growing. It's up to her if she decides to maintain it long term. I've been to her place, she's not lacking the room. LOL

As the hobbyist, it's up to you to pick you you like best. Mixing and matching is also fun.

good luck,
    ~Dave

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

I think that Dave is right, that my tree will become a very large 'pine tree' but I'm ok with that! I've decided that I am too old for large ladders - I have a 10' orchard ladder. After that, it's on its own!

Sara

• Kev-o
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Source for "Oculis Draconis"? Everywhere I've read, it's "Oculus." Purchased mine from Kigi Nursery. http://www.kiginursery.com/pines/pinus-thunbergiana-oculus-draconis-variegated-japanese-black-pine/

I have 4 forested acres to work with, with a creek and huge creek-bed. Going all out here! ;)

I actually just purchased two Pinus Thunbergii's from evergreenplantnursery.com. We'll see how they turn out.

• Kev-o
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Also, yes, I realize why it is called Oculus Draconis, or "Dragon's Eye."

• ogcon
    11 years ago

Just a little side note on thunbergiana for whatever its worth.The species is known for its toleration of salt and its
    ability to hang on tight(not blow over)in high wind areas
    where it can become beautifully wind-pruned.I love this tree
    being a fan very dark needled conifers.It makes a great backdrop for the bright gold specimens.Doug